HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The Bike/Brain Game

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/13/14 9:47 AM

The Bike/Brain Game

1st shorts and short sleeve jersey day of the year yesterday. Sat looks like the next, but the rain may start to show up, been hiding this year, a lot less precip.

Took the Paramount out yesterday, 30 miles. Day before was the Scott 40 miles.

I enjoyed yesterday so much, even with the legs a touch tired from the day before.

As to the Brain game: On the Scott I have an expectation of going fast/performance of myself, but that is not there on the Paramount. Thus I set myself up for a less enjoyable time on the go fast bike it seems like when I [over] think about it.

The Paramount ride and the bike and it's tune on the road made me think about the new Sachs in our midst. But a quick weather browse in ME shows my curiosity will have to wait a bit more to see it in print.

Last edited by Sparky on 3/13/14 6:49 PM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

3/13/14 9:54 AM

Yer right

It's snowing now and the Sachs has not been on the road. I've taken my backup road bike out a couple times for short rides (the Ottrott is a pretty nice backup come to think of it). I was tempted to try the Sachs but the Ottrott got filthy so quickly I'm glad I left the Sachs indoors. As soon as my butt got soaked I remembered why my commuter has fenders.

But I'm getting itchy for sure.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

3/13/14 9:55 AM

I rode in shorts/short sleeves Tuesday at 72*. Today is 15*. Tomorrowm however says upper 50's so hopefully I can get back out. I ride cross bikes/fat tires, so I have no speed expectations, just trying to wortk off some blubber.

April

3/13/14 10:04 AM

It peaked into the low 60's Tuesday.

I grabbed my commuter and went out on the bike path for a quick spin. I was quickly reminded why I don't bother riding before April: the snowmelt makes for wet puddles here and there and my butt got wet before long. :-(

While I enjoyed the riding motion itself, and the lovely scenery along the Hudson river, I was pretty dirty and the bike was even worst. Cleaning myself was quick (shower, clothing into the washer), cleaning the bike was more labourous. All in all, it's too little time riding and too much time cleaning the bike.

I think I'll wait on the riding part. Besides, all this snow is too good to waste on a bike! All 4 pairs of my skis are now in the trunk! Heading up north tomorrow after work!!!

JohnC

3/13/14 1:43 PM

quote:
All in all, it's too little time riding and too much time cleaning the bike.

There is a 2-part solution for that: First, get some fenders; second, learn not to mind riding a dirty bike.

April

3/13/14 3:16 PM

quote:
learn not to mind riding a dirty bike.

I don't mind. But the bike would. Dirty bike don't last long, especially if that "dirt" contains salt!

Fender keeps me drier but, although it helps, it doesn't entirely solve the problem of getting the bike dirty with corrosive salt, which needs cleaning off.

But the key issue is, the skis are a lot fun! And there's no cleaning afterward! (albeit with just as long, if not longer time driving home)

Brian Nystrom

3/14/14 5:38 AM

Thats' why I like the MTB this time of year

There's no salt in the woods and all I have to do is rinse the bike off quickly when I get home, and lube the chain every 2 or 3 rides. It's also a decent core workout and I'm getting upper body work from pruning downed trees and brush! ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/14/14 10:28 AM

you could get some slalom arm guards... ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -