Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Bad news for rail trail fans

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/11/14 7:10 AM

Bad news for rail trail fans

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304704504579431434007064474?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304704504579431434007064474.html

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

3/11/14 10:28 AM

The land owner was quoted as stating that he prefered a railroad running coal trains over a rail-trail.

That one had me puzzled.

Reply to topic    

April

3/11/14 10:36 AM

quote:
The land owner was quoted as stating that he prefered a railroad running coal trains over a rail-trail.

That one had me puzzled.

Quite! Not that it actually surprise me. I know people have strange believes.

But the court decision means such strange believe will stop a rail trail from being build.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Matthew Currie

3/11/14 12:35 PM

I'm of two minds on this. Obviously I like rail trails and think they should proliferate, especially nowadays when I'm forbidden the road. At the same time, many rail rights of way are exactly that: rights of way that were taken under eminent domain or other bargains long ago, and many deeds include the right of reversion. Exactly who owns an abandoned railway is not always clear, but sometimes it's spelled out pretty clearly in a deed.

I didn't open the pay per view link, but even though I'd rather see bikes than nothing, I can kind of sympathize also with the idea that what ought to be on a railway is trains.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

3/11/14 1:15 PM

You may well never again see the SC decide a case with an 8-1 majority, which says something about the federal governments case.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/11/14 1:49 PM

Change?

My cousin in west KY had a rail trail happen at the back edge of his property. [80 acres] It was like 1/2 mile at least from his porch back across his field to the rear. You could see folks walking and running by if you looked. I remember the first time I saw it, I was quoted as saying "what the heck is that?"
Having been on that property a few dozen time since 5 years old.

He was not happy, but this compared to an abandoned train track empty for decades. He was born and raised on that property. Probably used to put pennies on the tracks as a kid, he is 70 now. Rail trail happened 12 year back approx.

Folks are very attached to their property, especially when it has been in the family for a few hundred years.

JohnC

3/11/14 2:16 PM

This was an interpretation of a 140-year old law, in light of the argument the Government made in another case 70 years ago. Nobody's sure how much land it applies to (the law was changed in 1988) The casae is not about stopping rail trails, for the most part -- it's about getting some money. Specifically, the heirs of people who had land taken (for compensation) more than 100 years ago, getting compensated again when the Government (which legally took their land for a public purpose) now wants to use it for another public purpose. The 1875 law that said the land would revert to the prior owner if the railroad abandoned it, I'd guess, envisioned that happening in some short time frame, not over a century later.

Here's a good analysis (this is the best SC site, BTW)
http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/03/opinion-analysis-victory-and-money-for-landowners/#more-206146

greglepore

3/11/14 6:49 PM

The land was taken for a specific public purpose, and the law, unfortunately for us, was clear...

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

3/12/14 7:32 AM

Not so fast - esp for the "Original 13'

Bank on it.....

http://community.railstotrails.org/blogs/trailblog/archive/2014/03/11/the-supreme-court-decision-how-does-it-affect-rail-trails.aspx

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -