HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Getting another blast of winter

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

3/2/14 5:12 PM

Getting another blast of winter

We are under a state of emergency, with more heavy snow predicted overnight. This winter is relentless, but somehow I'm not burned out. Rode the trainer today and shoveled, got a great workout. Hungry like bear now.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

3/2/14 5:26 PM

Funny, I also like shoveling and that workout. Crisp cold air, you are aerobic so the cold is compensated for...

My bro sent me an eMail from DFW, it is way more wintery there than here. Just from a latitude standpoint that seems so funky.

dan emery

3/2/14 5:31 PM

Good luck with tonight

State of emergency doesn't sound good, hope it works out OK. We don't have snow projected, but it's back into the deep freeze, predicted -5F Tuesday. I snowshoed today and spun on the sta bike a bit. I've been commuting but haven't been on the road bike this year. At least my Sachs is still clean (because it hasn't been ridden).

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/2/14 5:52 PM

I got in just over 40k today, in short and jersey only. Give it a day and I won't be able too.

Sparky

3/2/14 6:09 PM

I had a good 40 mile day Thurs. I have decided not to keep reporting it in detail of lesser clothes days etc as most of the users here are having a particularly bad runs this winter.

Just because I am lucky to be right/place/time this year, it is not nice to make it worse for others continually harping on it.

My apologies for you guys not being able to report the same stuff, wish yo where here and like that!!

dan emery

3/2/14 6:26 PM

Don't worry Sparky

I live here because I love winter. If I wanted to live in a warm place, I would. No desire to ride a road bike year round at all.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/2/14 7:59 PM

Maybe the thread should be 'Getting another blast outta winter' ;)

dfcas

3/2/14 8:26 PM

The only regret here is our roads are destroyed. I was on some of the roads I like to ride and they are damaged so bad that I have no interest in riding a road bike on them. I certailny would not ride a high end wheel set. I will probably ride a cross bike with 28 or larger tires until if and when we have roads worth riding.

Sparky

3/2/14 8:28 PM

I actually got the Scoot out a few time already.

April

3/2/14 9:21 PM

Bravo, Dan!

quote:
I live here because I love winter.

So glad to see this on a bike forum. I avoid most other bike forums in the winter because I just can't stand everyone whines about winter! Only thing worse than cabin-fevered cyclists are people living in warm climate feeling smirk at the hapless poor souls stuck in the snowbelt.

But the same is true of SKIERS whine about SUMMER! Though at least there, I get to occasionally act smirk about all the poor soul from Taxas/Florida who carry their ski jackets in their luggage boarding a plane for Denver/SLC. I only need to carry skis/boots, the rest I WEAR them getting to the airport!

Brian Nystrom

3/3/14 6:31 AM

Winter is for mountain biking...

...when the snow's not too deep, at least. I'd much rather ride in the woods where I'm protected somewhat from the wind and I'm not moving as fast as on the road, so it's easier to stay warm.

We were out doing trail maintenance on the Cape yesterday. The ground was almost completely bare there, but they're supposed to get a bit of snow today. There's going to be a lot of maintenance needed this spring, due the the amount of downed trees and branches caused by the weather. But hey, it's a good reason to buy new pruning saws. Can't have enough tools, you know!

The heavy snows this year have created a lot of opportunity for snowshoeing, which has been more fun than I expected. I've actually been able to stay more active this winter and keep my weight down. That bodes well for the summer, when it finally gets here.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/3/14 1:10 PM

Could be worse

Courtesy of another board, I am apprised that Winnepeg is -36C today (about -33F). That's cold.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/6/14 5:31 PM

Zeroing in

Rode into work at -2F today, probably the latest sub 0 commute I've had. Below 0 again tomorrow, but not a commuting day as I gotta go to Portland. I'm guessing no more sub 0 commutes, but who knows? My toasty Wohlvhammer boots are awesome in this stuff.

Reply to topic    

April

3/6/14 5:54 PM

Dan

Some people are just plain crazy...!

But so is the weather. It's going to be in the mid-40's over the weeked down here. I'm probably better off going kayaking instead of skiing... :(

JohnC

3/7/14 11:22 AM

Cold again here. Warming up a little the next two days, then colder again, with a couple chances of snowstorms in the next week, and no sign of a break in the pattern. A local TV weather guy (the most knowledgeable one in the area, who gives the most nuanced and detailed reports, with no screaming hype), said this morning,"you might want to just write off March and look forward to April." That was depressing.

April

3/7/14 11:54 AM

quote:
Cold again here. Warming up a little the next two days, then colder again, with a couple chances of snowstorms in the next week, and no sign of a break in the pattern.

That was depressing

Depressing for whom? I'm happy as a clam! ;-)

Now that there're snow on the ground, as long as it stays cold, there'll be plenty of skiing! If it snow a bit more, even better! (though I personally suspect it won't snow any substantial amount any more. Media has a habit of hyping these 6-12" storm 2 weeks out only to have it fizzle out to be 2-3")

Cold with no snow on the ground, like it was back in January, THAT was depressing. [/quote]

Sparky

3/7/14 12:26 PM

Wishing this for all the cyclists that don't stap boards to their feet...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -