Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

My new bike
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sandiway

1/26/14 8:29 PM

My new bike

I mentioned when Dan got his Richard Sachs that I also had a bike on order. It's not as sought-after as a Sachs and I didn't have to wait anywhere as long.

Well, on Friday my bike finally arrived via Fedex Ground shipping. I promised Pete Hauser I'd post here. Anyhow, here's the story. It's a bit long...

http://sandiway.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-da-vinci-jointventure-tandem.html

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/26/14 8:59 PM

Interesting. And wishing you many happy miles!

Question - Is that frame stiff enough? The lack of any additional crossbraces would make me think that it may a bit of a noodle.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/26/14 9:04 PM

Thanks Parkin!

quote:
Question - Is that frame stiff enough? The lack of any additional crossbraces would make me think that it may a bit of a noodle.

This was my exact question to Todd Shusterman of da Vinci Designs before my test ride.

And he said they used to build frames with the diagonal tubes as well. But with the way oversized frame tubes, he said the frames are laterally as stiff or stiffer, but they offer a better ride.

I find the tandem plenty stiff enough. Our total weight including the bike is 300 lbs though.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/14 9:26 PM

Enjoy Sandi & stoker. ;)

How about a little dialog on your choice of wheels/tires sizes et al.

I guess I expected 650B or 650s. What is going on
for the smaller wheel choices on tandems these days?

If you and stoker come this way, be sure you bring that steed. Our Ibis needs some company. ;)

Some details on the driving gears set up? Driving gears 12-18-24-30, intrigued ? Your take on the gear changing performance etc.

Thudbuster ?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

1/26/14 10:29 PM

a little dialog

Yes, that's a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST (Short Travel) for the stoker. It weighs a ton...

Since I'm shorter (5'8") than most of you, I ride 650c on my Litespeed Ghisallo bike. (I've never really been a fan of the 700c wheelsize.)

26" or 700c are the options at da Vinci, so it was a no-brainer to go for the 26" size. I've got 26 x 1.25 Panaracers at 90psi on it at present. Since I'm new to the 26" size, I'm not sure what the best tires possible are.

The gearing is wide enough to tackle major hills. 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 9speed SRAM cassette in the back. The front cluster is equivalent to 24T, 36T, 48T, and 60T chainrings. So that gives a range from a 133" high gear to a 18" low according to Sheldon Brown's calculator, which I guess is sufficient for everything I'm likely to encounter.

Will be glad to ride with you Sparky if we get the chance!

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/14 10:39 PM

Some serious gears and range there. Allows for closer ratios to be maintained as well ?

What does it weigh, curious? EDIT, saw blog 35 lb.
Tandems don't get to much lighter than that I guess.

Are the Rims MTB and wider profile like 23+mm wide?

sandiway

1/26/14 10:57 PM

V-23 rims

I'm still learning the gearing. I'm not used to 4 chainrings.

The V-23 rims are supposed to be tandem duty rims.
See http://www.davincitandems.com/comp.html#rim . It says 22.9mm wide.

35lbs is what I got on my bathroom scales. I guess I could cut more than 2 lbs easily by spending a lot more money.

However, 2 lbs is almost nothing when compared to the total weight of the bike + 2 riders (300 lbs).

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/27/14 5:01 AM

Very nice, indeed!

nm

dan emery

1/27/14 5:05 AM

Supercool

Sandi, that's awesome. I don't think I could process the gear selections, but I'm sure you're up to the task. Have a ball!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/27/14 6:06 AM

Why 9-speed in the rear...

...rather than 10 or 11? Either would give you tighter spacing between gears and I can't think of any downside. Just curious.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/27/14 7:56 AM

9-speed

I asked about that too. Todd said 9-speed was proven and durable chain-wise for a tandem. It uses the KMC 9-speed chain (three of them!) with that easy-to-pull-apart connector.

From their website:

quote:
We do not want to give up the reliability, rebuildabilty, comfort and front derailleur trim that only Campy Ergo shifters offer, but ten speed chains are proving to be too finicky and not very durable. Keeping to our Credo of "Drawing outside the chalkboard" we modified SRAM X9 Long cage and Medium cage derailleurs to work with Campy shifters. Now you can use any Campagnolo ten speed Ergo shifter and SRAM or Shimano compatible 9 speed cassette together.

I wonder if the White Industries rear hub would need to be modified to try 10 or 11. I'm new to the Campy world. I wonder also if the Chorus brifter can be easily upgraded to 10 or 11.

Sandiway

Last edited by sandiway on 1/27/14 8:32 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/27/14 8:09 AM

Sounds Prudent

I think on that bike I would like to minimize the number of times I needed to change the chain(s)...

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/27/14 1:00 PM

They make some neat bikes. The caebon ones used to be made by Calfee to their specs. Do you know if that is still the case? The Calfee version was somewhat cheaper, but I don't know if they do the ICS on the Calfee bedged frames.

Sparky

1/27/14 1:32 PM

8/9/10 speed tandem.

9 speed chain is probably pushing it already. A lot of torque pulling on a narrow chain. The guy I got the IBIS from wanted it to be 10 speed, they told him they won't do it where he had it built. Make sense too. Thus the Ibis is 9 speed.

sandiway

1/27/14 1:42 PM

carbon

I'm not sure if they farm them out but I saw carbon tubes at their facility; one of my pictures has some carbon tubes showing.

Another picture has one of the carbon ICS bikes (700c); I believe it the one sporting Reynolds wheels. To be frank, I was trying to avoid picking up or asking about the carbon frame option. I really wanted to keep the price reasonable. I only partially succeeded.

When I was there, they were welding stuff for a race car. There was a car with a roll cage etc. being worked on. An a stack of race car tires. Todd mentioned he was an autocrosser.

They have their own paint facility. It seem bigger than needed for bicycle frames.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/28/14 6:31 AM

Campy 9, 10 and 11 all work on the same hub.

You shouldn't need any modifications.

As for the shifters, you would need a new shift ring, assuming that they're actually 9 speed shifters, which aren't being made anymore. I wonder if they're actually using current model 10 or 11 speed shifters with the rear derailleur modification that they speak of. The pics look like Chorus 10 speed.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/28/14 8:13 AM

Jtek

quote:
.....assuming that they're actually 9 speed shifters, which aren't being made anymore. I wonder if they're actually using current model 10 or 11 speed shifters with the rear derailleur modification that they speak of. The pics look like Chorus 10 speed.

Jtek's Shiftmates are available to allow Campy 10-speed Ergos to properly index Campy 9-speed cassettes so that could be used to get around the lack of 9-speed brifter availability.

For that matter a Shiftmate can also be used to make Campy 10-speed Ergos shift 9 or 10-speed Shimano cassettes.

I've never uses a Shiftmate on a tandem but have used them on two different single bikes and they work great. Shifting is equal to having matched components.

sandiway

1/28/14 10:04 AM

Shiftmate

Seems like that's exactly what they're doing. Chorus 10-speed brifter with SRAM X.9 rear derailleur to a SRAM 9-speed (PG-980) cassette:

Reply to topic    

pete hausner

1/29/14 10:12 AM

Nice!

Terrific pics; both of the bike and of the stoker. Perhaps an introduction is in order…

;>))))

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/29/14 10:21 AM

Thanks Sandi for the write-up and for this thread!

I learnt a good bit here.

Your choice of smaller wheel size is totally consistent with the structural and weight concerns (not to mention packing dimensions) of a tandem, and the wider rubber will keep the front tire from tracking along any pavement seams, important since you can't unload and/or toss around the front end while riding a stretch limo as you might on a regular bike.
Any concerns about "whippiness" are somewhat further addressed with these smaller wheels as well.

It took me a few (minutes and/or drinks, er, coffee) to understand how the captain drives the outer shell of the freewheel, and the stoker drives the ratcheted inner shell. Clever engineering. How's the shifting in the front???
I guess then that a slightly higher bb (and perhaps shorter crankarms) might be best on the stoker's end?

That's a really good weight you arrived at, abetted again by your wheel-size choice, and still weighing several pounds less than my 1976 Schwinn Varsity!

I would think that any chain that can handle a strong MTB rider on a full-suspension rig with a 22t chainring would probably be much stronger than you'll need.
I suppose that if you were doing off-road climbing it might over-tax the chain though.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

1/29/14 11:30 AM

Nice bike! I hope you enjoy it as much as watching this brilliant & hysterically funny table tennis match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITR88wT8ekM

Reply to topic    

sandiway

1/29/14 1:47 PM

quote:
Perhaps an introduction is in order…

Ah yes! That's my wife Wenchan. The tandem was a self-imposed wedding present.

Pete and Carol met Wenchan (in more favorable weather) in Boston during the now long-past month of August 2013. At Pete's place in Newton:

Pete lent us their runabout bikes and we had great fun cruising around the Charles River bike path and downtown Boston on them on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. This was taken near the Hatch shell (Mass General in the background).

Wenchan had so much fun in Massachusetts, I have trouble convincing her it doesn't look like that most of the year...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/29/14 1:58 PM

CONGRATS. I believe we met in Tucson last time I was there.

sandiway

1/29/14 2:03 PM

quote:
I guess then that a slightly higher bb (and perhaps shorter crankarms) might be best on the stoker's end?

Yes, the stoker's end has 165mm crankarms fitted. I have 170mm.

quote:
That's a really good weight you arrived at, abetted again by your wheel-size

I tried hard to not ask about the weight when I was ordering.

Now that I got the bike I can see plenty of ways to cut weight off it. Examples:

cassette SRAM PG-980 (276g) could be replaced by XG-999 (175g) as soon as the original cassette wears out..
pedals Shimano PD-M520 (2 x 373g) could be replaced by PD-M980 (2 x 310g)
stoker stem Control Tech adjustable could be replaced by a Ti stem (save 200g) as soon as she got the cockpit dialed in comfortably
etc.

That Thudbuster weighs in at 464g on my scale. There must be better options.
That Selle Italia Lady Flow saddle, man it could be a doorstop for a barn door...

I think there's a fancy Rolf wheelset - read: event wheelset - available too. Todd Shusterman showed it to me and I tried not to look at it...

quote:
I would think that any chain that can handle a strong MTB rider on a full-suspension rig with a 22t chainring would probably be much stronger than you'll need.
I suppose that if you were doing off-road climbing it might over-tax the chain though.

I think the chain is plenty beefy but I worry about the KMC link. Make it incredibly easy to take the chain on and off though...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/29/14 2:50 PM

I had a KMC chain and link on my MTB for years of heavy use, and I used the link over too. I'd wager I might have same or more push than you both mashing low RPMs like I used to on the MTB too. I almost never used the granny when I could just mash up stuff. ;) you got some seriously low choices for gears on that. Is your better 1/2 a spinner ?

I still have a KMC link in the saddle bags of a few bikes for insurance... Maybe a Sachs in one too. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -