HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Recognition at last

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

1/23/14 6:18 PM

Recognition at last

It was in the single numbers F this morning. As I prepared to roll away from the post office, a young lady said "you must be a Superhero to ride in this!" I said "I'll take that."

Then she said her brother had just texted her that he was riding as well.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/23/14 6:36 PM

Lunatics! ;)

It almost hit 50^ here today, with wind chill factors to the 'off' side 'of the chart'.

I still have 25^ or so as my lowest, single digits? Yikes! ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

1/23/14 6:44 PM

No prob

I expect to ride in the single digits below tomorrow.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/23/14 7:50 PM

Dress for success

quote:
single digits? Yikes!

The coldest I ever rode (commuting) was -22 F (-30 C). About 5 miles each way. Rain pants, rain jacket, and Gore-Tex shoes over street clothes (including sweater). Gore-Tex helmet cover and ski hat under helmet with rain jacket hood over helmet. Bandana to cover the face. Downhill ski gloves. And still pretty cold by the time I got to work but not unbearable.

Reply to topic    

cyclotourist

1/23/14 8:01 PM

Still commuting daily up the road from you in Brunswick, Dan. I've got my winter commute wardrobe dialed in so no problem. Of course I only have to ride 2.5 miles to get to work. Everyone thinks I'm superhuman too, but it really doesn't take much to ride through the winter!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/23/14 8:21 PM

Actually it was Dan posting about a frigid ride in Dec. which made me get my ars out in the 20^ stent in Dec here...

Once you acclimate and dress properly, it is not so bad really. Just not for too long out I guess..

Last edited by Sparky on 1/23/14 10:27 PM; edited 1 time in total

April

1/23/14 9:33 PM

Riding???

Normally, this forum, even in the middle of summer, has mostly non-cycling threads. All of a sudden, everyone is riding in single digit temperature and bragging about it!!!

I know, I know, there's nothing special about riding in the nice 80 degree summer. Not worth writing about... But boy, it's not so much the cold, but the slush/ice (depending on where you're) that makes riding so unappealing.

Funny enough, all the xc skiing list are full of chatter. Everyone is exchanging information on where there's the deepest snow and the least scratchy surface..

Saturday, I plan to be riding... two planks!

Andy M-S

1/24/14 9:10 AM

Last week

Last week was great for riding, and I've gone at -10F, but the combination of subzero temps, snow, and narrow New Haven area roads is keeping me in the basement right now. :-<

I can take one or two of those factors, but all three at once make me nervous...

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/24/14 9:32 AM

It is what it is.....

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/24/14 9:44 AM

Our dual computrainer setup is getting used by Elaine mostly this winter. As you all know from my posts and the weather map, at least for Jan., it has been good to be here as far as getting outside. Wish that for all, but it does not work that way...

rickhardy

1/24/14 9:50 AM

Need some rain / snow in Cali though....

Saw an aerial map of the Sierra's showed only 17% of normal snow pack which is where all the drinking water comes from in northern California.....

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/24/14 2:49 PM

You don't tug on Emery's cape...

nm

dfcas

1/24/14 4:18 PM

I've turned into a complete wimp this year. I have boots and all the gear and just don't go out. I ride the damn trainer some and thats it. I'm not worthy.

rickhardy

1/26/14 1:56 PM

Nice day yesterday

Got out yesterday temps were around 36 after the single digits and teens felt balmy wish I had more time to ride ...30 degrees is the new 60! Today back to the teens need Eddy for inspiration for the trainer:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_BcHekNAfOo&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_BcHekNAfOo%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/26/14 4:58 PM

Yesterday

Nice day indeed. I went up to Jackson NH to XC ski. Used to ski all the time, now I mostly snowshoe as I'm too lazy to maintain the trails in my woods, plus the snow has been inconsistent. Today I am reminded of muscles I had forgotten about. Great fun though, I am resolved to get there some more this winter (friends have a condo there).

Rick, I hope you have your eye on the prize (pie that is).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/26/14 5:12 PM

"reminded of muscles I had forgotten about"

Keeping forward movement in the stiff headwinds Thurs., I realized some muscles normally not used for cycling got tweaked. My calves and shins mainly, doing more ankle-ing than usual perhaps? I found I was kind of snapping my stokes quick over the top and pulling up with a snap up the back side of the stroke in order o keep moving forward.

Thurs and even Friday night my quads, hammies and calves radiated a low level ache, weird. It took me 15 miles to shake out my legs on Sat after taking Friday off the bike.

Jesus Saves

2/5/14 11:05 AM

102 year-old french cyclist sets world record

This French cyclist is worthy of some recognition, too.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/story/_/id/10383489/102-year-old-french-cyclist-robert-marchand-sets-world-record

Last edited by Jesus Saves on 2/7/14 9:53 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

2/6/14 11:22 PM

Middle of summer here, and it's been hot as hell. Just came back from a couple of weeks cycling in Victoria where we had one week of max temperatures consistently around 43-44C. Same time as when the Australia Open tennis was on, and some of the the tennis players were keeling over in their matches from the heat, even though they get to sit down in the shade for 90 seconds after every second game. At least we could choose our riding times - out at the crack of dawn and try to finish by lunchtime. We only had one day when we had to climb a mountain pass after lunch - we plodded up at a very slow pace, including a stop at a waterfall half way up where we stuck our heads under the fall, but when we got to the top my wife (who's usually a pretty good climber) remarked "I don't know whether I should faint or vomit!".

Someone with a bit of talent had been decorating some of the road signs. Here's one at the foot of Tawonga Gap, where they've given the kangaroo a beanie, stocks, and skis:

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

2/7/14 9:52 AM

high risk area

Those road signs are a little bit better.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/7/14 1:14 PM

So the skiing Roo means what exactly? You will get your skis lifted by frisky skiing Roos?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -