HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Mallorca?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

1/19/14 8:50 AM

Mallorca?

We have a combo of rain and snow that has left both the roads and the woods crappy, so I may as well fantasize. A friend suggested that in April next year (2015) we ride the Mallorca 312, a "sportive" that basically follows the perimeter of the island. 312 km, about 14k' climbing, nearly all in the first 135km (that is a pantload of early climbing).

I've heard the island is great, I know pro teams go there to train, and I believe site sponsor Smelly runs a camp there?

At first I thought "oh sure" but on further reflection, I'm having a hard time seeing a downside....The ride would be difficult, particularly the first part, but I've done rides of similar difficulty. My friend is a very good climber, so I would say goodbye to him early...:)

Anyone been there?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

1/19/14 11:44 AM

Been riding there virtually thru the Ergvideos. Beautiful place...

Thinking about a Roche camp myself, have heard good things, but then someone suggested the Hotel Belvidere in Riccione Italy, so now I'm torn.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

1/19/14 6:55 PM

Don't know anything about the "sportiv" but know quite a few of local riders who had been to the Roach camp. Base on those reports, if I weren't too busy skiing, I would have gone in a heartbeat!

dddd

1/19/14 8:15 PM

The globe-trotting locals who reported back to me described leaving their wives to shop then going to hang out at the beach, where upper torso clothing is apparently optional.

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

1/20/14 7:55 AM

Roche, not roach.

Reply to topic    

April

1/20/14 9:11 AM

thanks for hte correction.

I was doing it on the phone and, though realized my mistake right away, the connection was very un-reliable and I just couldn't get the page back to correct it. So I thought, well, what the heck, these guys know what it should be anyway...

I've lately seen a lot of e-mail from my friends, who I know can spell perfectly well, often contain wrong words. It took me a while to notice I'm doing it too!

Sparky

1/20/14 12:37 PM

I like it when my poor spelling is accidentally corrected by a mistake ... ;)

My bigger issue is not seeing it so well because I did not put readers on when I have contacts in. I let the spell checker fly, and don't see that it corrected with the wrong word spelled correctly...

As April sez, you pretty much know the reader(s) will know what the context was. We still like to correct or if a text mistake and send the corrected word only in CAPS or something it seems...

April

1/20/14 1:24 PM

My phone has a habit of scrambling my typing. The spell checker catches many of them, but sometimes correct them to the wrong word!

Sparky

1/20/14 1:44 PM

April, how are you healing? Back to normal yet ?

April

1/20/14 1:45 PM

nope.

Remaining option is to take the plates out

Sparky

1/20/14 1:55 PM

Honestly, Elaine and I thought that was going to be your eventuality from the beginning. Sorry you are not back to good as gold. ;( We hope once the plates are out you will get back to a normal state and not have any symptoms anymore.

I guess I was lucky I was not displaced to the extreme that surgery was needed. Well, I was displaced, but there where 5 pieces in between the ends floating in the middle.

I did get x-rayed a lot in the first 3 weeks, the doc checking/hoping the bits would try to be one bone again before sending me to the knife. ;) It looks like it walked a crooked mile now though. ;)

It did take years before I stopped noticing the site frankly. But the higher section was pointy and close to the thin skin. So until it rounded/healed there, and it did I think... I felt that often.

Or maybe the sharp edge cut thought a nerve and I stopped feeling it. :) Kidding, if I press on it somewhat hard or bang it just on that spot I feel it plenty.

dan emery

1/20/14 6:46 PM

Put it on my calendar

Looks pretty good to me if things come together.

No Roach Camp for me - I ain't staying at the Roach Motel.

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

1/20/14 7:11 PM

Thanks, Dan.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/20/14 8:17 PM

Evan

Evan, could you please email me? I've somehow lost your email address.

Kerry

Reply to topic    

LeeW

1/21/14 6:44 AM

Roche Camp also

I did one of the Roche Camps in 2005 and enjoyed it immensely. The hotel option I stayed at was more than satisfactory and overlooked the Med from a small cliff.

On arriving at the hotel from the airport, someone whisked our bike travel cases away from us while directing us to register and also fill out the camp paperwork and liability forms. After unpacking at the room, went down to the basement to find that mechanics had already built up and adjusted our bikes and pumped up the tires. The bikes were hanging from a rack ready to go. Outstanding.

Anyway, the roads tend to be narrow, but many are low traffic and there are more than a few sustained climbs of 3-8 km (not killer, but challenging enough). There are lots of cool villages and hamlets with cafes to get a cup of expresso or capucino.

in Feb and early Mar, temps can be cool and waether showery at times, but it starts to get VERY pleasant by late Mar and into April!

Do it Dan!

Last edited by LeeW on 1/21/14 8:53 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/21/14 7:36 AM

Thanks Lee

This is sounding better and better.

As to sustained climbs, here is the profile - in broad terms, looks like you climb about 6% for about 25 miles...

http://en.mallorca312.com/route/mallorca-312-iberostar-playa-de-muro.html

Reply to topic    

LeeW

1/21/14 8:52 AM

cool

Dan, The Roche Camp was based out of Palma Nova (~20km west of Palma, along the bay), so I only rode their routes in the west and northwest parts of the island. I do remember riding up Puig Major as well as excursions to Soller and Valdemossa, with Calvia being a frequent pass through... very pretty scenic views along the northwest coast, west of Soller. I can't attest to anything in the East though as I did not get there.

Looks like a cool and varied route. Take time to enjoy the atmosphere of the island!

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/21/14 4:03 PM

August

Dan,

Glad the TTT is scheduled for August looks like you are going to be doing a few more pulls up front in the race with your head start to the season....

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -