View posts since last visit

Ceramic Rim Coating

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

1/12/14 3:13 PM

Ceramic Rim Coating

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4284336821.html

Ceramic rims on these wheels.

It looks like they are un ceramic rims now?? The mis aligned seam not withstanding?? Is it me, or are these like $ 150.00 Wheels max? Seems like you'd be buying hubs to me...

Or do I misunderstand the coating process, it sure looks like it may be worn almost totally off. My one rear MTN ceramic with lots of mud use still looks almost new. I have replace a lot of rear pads though.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

1/12/14 4:30 PM

did campy even make a ceramic coating back then?

omegas were like late-80s/early-90s stuff. nothing about those rims suggest "ceramic" to me. i think ceramic rim coatings was more of a mavic thing. looks like run of the mill anodization, which isnt a bad thing.

in either case, i think the rims are fine for riding...will last for many thousands of miles.

Dave B

1/12/14 5:02 PM

I agree, those weren't "ceramic coated" rims, just color anodized. If the wall thickness hasn't been thinned too much they should last a decent amount of time.

Mavic was the "hard anodized" pioneer and all that did was encourage the rims to crack before they wore out. I had a set of Mavic Open4CD rims that were hard anodized and they were the earliest failures of any rim I've ever owned.

They also did the ceramic coating thing which rapidly wore out brake pads but also didn't do much for rim life.

Notice you don't hear about either rim treatment any more.

walter

1/12/14 5:19 PM

if you're not set on campy 9/10/11 splines

for those wheels on CL i'd pay maybe $225 all-in, tops.

here's an 8spd campy wheelset on ebay for $175.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Record-C-Record-Hub-set-Sun-Rims-M3-II-Clincher-Wheel-Set-Freehub-/281231458155

Last edited by walter on 1/12/14 10:09 PM; edited 2 times in total

Dave B

1/12/14 8:04 PM

That 8-speed set isn't really "Campy wheels", just Campy hubs with Sun rims and unspecified spokes 32H, 3X. Nothing exotic at all.

walter

1/12/14 10:05 PM

agreed

Correctly stated, its a wheelset that's campy 8spd compatible .

Neither set are remarkable in any way, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At the prices and candidate initially posted, didn't think exotic was the point .

I like 'em both ...at the right price.

dfcas

1/13/14 10:55 AM

Not that it matters at this point, but I seem to remember brake pads that were designed for ceramic rims. I think a ceramic rim will eat thru a regular brake pad very fast, but the ones designed for it lasted a lot longer.

Dave B

1/13/14 11:40 AM

That's correct. There were brake pads specifically made for ceramic coated rims. Both the rims and the pads are now obsolete so I assume they were the answer to a question no one asked.

Sparky

1/13/14 12:33 PM

I am looking for some rims, in this case I would have sold the hubs and laced the rims to some wheels for the TCX. Shimano

Reason, and love to hear the comments points/counter points.

Took the TCX out and it is wet enough these days that the rims got filthy pasty aluminum dirty. So in the interest in not killing the rims, I am thinking about a ceramic set.

I do have the 9er with the discs, but should I just ride a 10lb heavier bike with a lot more rotational mass and shut up. I took the 9er on a 30 miler yesterday. I am shooting for distance this year, second 30+ since the year started.

So am I gaining strength spinning these heavy wheels and the 29 lb bike, and keep doing that?
Or kill rims with the cantis, I am not nuts about the
lack of road bar positions on the MTB, but with hydraulics not going to put road bars on.

An option I was thinking was to pop on some NOS Scott AT3 bar with the built in hooked bar ends for more hand positions...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -