Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

computer aimed rifles anyone?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

1/19/14 10:58 AM

"Intimate" hunting still exists

Hunting boar with a bow down in Florida a few years ago was exactly that. Trust me, when you're within a few feet and you get charged an enraged animal that's entirely capable of shredding you, it's pretty intimate. You have no protection and the one thing that saves you from having a really bad day is that boar can only run well in a straight line, so you have to dive out of their path when they get close and let them pass. It's definitely a different type of hunting.

OTOH, during the same day, I watched a guy take one with a rifle at 150 yards without ever getting out of the jeep we were in. While he made a nice head shot, the whole thing seemed pretty matter-of-fact and unsatisfying to me.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/19/14 12:33 PM

I have a neighbor who hunts hogs with a pike and Bowie knife.

Uh, not me. I don't want to bleed out, knee deep in a swamp.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dddd

1/19/14 11:02 PM

If you're doing a sport that's that dangerous and unforgiving of slight lapse of concentration, it would be best to at least be highly payed.

But many, many people choose unforgiving activities as simple thrill seeking, and as a high-intensity reminder of what it means to not only be alive, but struggling to stay that way.

Think sportbikers, downhillers, high-flying skiers, deep-wilderness explorers, etc.

I guess it's addicting, both in the trill of the act and the publicity of same!

And it's a powerful distraction from the frustrating challenges of every day life.

Some people are addicted to crime, gambling, sex, drugs, etc for the same reason.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/20/14 4:49 AM

Hmm.

How many of us here have broken bones due to the activity that brings us here? Or rather, how many haven't?

April

1/20/14 9:35 AM

quote:
If you're doing a sport that's that dangerous and unforgiving of slight lapse of concentration, it would be best to at least be highly payed.

And then use the money to... pay a hunting guide or go on a heli downhill biking/skiing trip? ;-)

Pat Clancy

1/20/14 1:50 PM

Pike hunting for boar?

As a former hunter and still an active carnivore, I won't try to pass judgement on hunting. However, I think you should use the most effective means of achieving a clean kill - typically a rifle of sufficient caliber. Someone who would use a pike for boar hunting and greatly increase the likelihood of wounding an animal just to get a thrill isn't much of a sportsman in my book.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/20/14 6:59 PM

Concur.

KerryIrons

1/20/14 8:00 PM

Deficiencies

quote:
And it's a powerful distraction from the frustrating challenges of every day life.

It's basically an MAO deficiency. Like high stakes gamblers of any type (for money, physical risk, etc.) they don't get enough thrill from what the "rest of us" would consider normal excitement. I get a real buzz from a good powder day in the trees or a fast descent on a bike. They need to huck off big cliffs and do flips on downhill mountain bike courses.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

1/21/14 6:34 AM

The pike thing is pretty riduculous

In a survival situation, it might make sense, but otherwise, it's just a stupid stunt. Heck, I wouldn't hunt with a bow if I wasn't fully competent with it (which I'm not at the moment).

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/21/14 8:14 AM

Horse for Courses?

Kerry, hasn't anyone ever told you how insane you are for going 50+ MPH on <1" tires? Allowing for alternative metric measures, of course. Some people like to watch TV, some like to gamble, some of us ride bikes and some people jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

April

1/21/14 9:47 AM

quote:
I get a real buzz from a good powder day in the trees or a fast descent on a bike.

Both could go wrong in a heartbeat!

I recognize the buzz and I really like it. But I'm also realistic enough to understand what could go wrong. So I try to find things that generate the same buzz without the real danger. Mtn biking used to do that. But as I do more of it, I got used to it. It started to lose the buzz unless I push it further. At some point, I couldn't justify the risk any more.

I ski in the trees too. But if I can't justify mtn biking in the trees at the same speed, how do I justify doing the same on skis?

I think some of the people who huck big cliffs are partly because they could nail the smaller one too easily they have to go bigger to get the same buzz

Andy M-S

1/21/14 10:00 AM

My comment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhvZ2y1V80

dddd

1/21/14 3:27 PM

At first, I thought it was an alcohol transfusion he was singing about, like he was bar hopping...

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/21/14 5:15 PM

Pass the Claret, Barrett!

Man, I haven't heard that song since college (and I'm surprised anyone who didn't listen to my college radio station has even heard of it).

But Andy, while you can certainly get hurt riding a bike downhill, it's really not in the same thrill seeking category as, say, your namesake Sketchy Andy:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHqmnB-NNc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEdHqmnB-NNc

I saw an extended film on this guy at the Banff Film Festival and I guarantee you, he is totally nuts.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

1/21/14 8:59 PM

Nervous Norvis

An old standby from the Dr. Demento days of old. A well-loved tune among certain sorts.

As for Sketchy, this is one time I'll go along with Nancy Reagan.

"No!"

I'm just saying that many of the folks here would be classed as "thrill seekers" in the sense that we think of people hunting wild boar with knives. It's kind of relative.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -