HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Bluetooth audio in a car with 4 phones

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

12/27/13 8:20 PM

OT: Bluetooth audio in a car with 4 phones

We have 4 iphones paired to the car audio system. Does anyone know how to choose which phone streams audio? At this time, it seems it chooses phone #1 if the bluetooth is on. The only way we have found to deselect a given phone is to turn off bluetooth. Its kind of a hassle to turn off the bluetooth in 3 phones , and I'm not sure what happens if we turn it back on in these. I'll try it tomorrow and see.

Maybe we should just use the AUX jack and forget bluetooth?

The instruction manual does not discuss how to choose which phone to stream from.
Honda 2014 CRV. Any ideas?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

12/27/13 9:05 PM

Our BT car only pairs with one phone at a time. I use the aux in from my phone for music and my wife's phone BTs for her calls while riding together.

I really like iTunes Radio since the IOS 7 came out. I am on unlimited data so be careful.

Steve B.

12/28/13 10:34 AM

Just curious as to why 4 phones paired ?. Do the owners of the 4 different phones drive this vehicle ?. I only ask as I only paired my phone in the car I drive, with my wife's phone paired to the car she drives. If I need to take a call on my phone while a passenger in her car, I have no need to have my phone paired, but understand that you may have a need to pair all these phones.

As well, when you start to play music on the device, and then activate the BT streaming source on the car system, can you get the device to stream ?. Possibly the system is smarter then you think and will play from any device that is sending and in the order that they are paired as priority.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/28/13 3:20 PM

They were paired so they could strem music wirelessly. Thus far, it seems to go by the order in which they were paired, that is it turns on the ipod in phone #1 first. I must turn off the bluetooth in that phone to go to the next, etc. Pairing was for music, not phone use. In fact, 2 of the iPhones don't have telephone service.More like an ipod touch.

Steve B.

12/28/13 5:19 PM

Maybe you don't need to turn off BT on device's higher in priority. If you just try playing device 4, with other paired devices in proximity, what happens ?.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/28/13 7:57 PM

It turns on the ipod in the highest number and plays that one.

Steve B.

12/28/13 8:11 PM

Ah !, sounds like you are hitting Play on the car player. If you hit Stop on the playing Device, then hit Play on the device you really want to listen to, what happens ?

I think, in general, that the streaming function will automatically start on the car unit if it senses a stream being sent from any paired device. That's how my Kenwood head functions. Thus the trick would be to not use the car unit to initiate, but instead initiate the stream from the device.

You may run into issues though should any other paired device get a phone call, as then the car head will accept the call and interrupt the music, so you then would need to start the stream al over again, after the call ends, etc, etc..

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

12/28/13 9:11 PM

Ah !, sounds like you are hitting Play on the car player. If you hit Stop on the playing Device, then hit Play on the device you really want to listen to, what happens ?

I think, in general, that the streaming function will automatically start on the car unit if it senses a stream being sent from any paired device. That's how my Kenwood head functions. Thus the trick would be to not use the car unit to initiate, but instead initiate the stream from the device.

You may run into issues though should any other paired device get a phone call, as then the car head will accept the call and interrupt the music, so you then would need to start the stream al over again, after the call ends, etc, etc..

Reply to topic    

dfcas

12/31/13 7:19 PM

We tried turning on iphone #4 ipod then turning on the radio but it connected to iphone #1. Our solution is a wire from the aux input to the desired iPhone. The wire sounds better than the BT anyway.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/1/14 5:40 AM

My experience exactly. BT audio in the car is not nearly as good as the cord connection.

BTW I use iTunes Radio all the time now. Great music and sound quality.

Steve B.

1/1/14 5:45 PM

Possibly that's dependent on the car audio unit. I can't tell the difference between streaming to the Kenwood unit in my Subaru and the audio in.

Then again I wear hearing aids.......... sometimes.......

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -