HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Lake Winter Shoes?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

11/13/13 12:58 PM

Lake Winter Shoes?

I may get a new pair of shoes for the winter commute this year. I have aged Sidi Diablos, which are OK but not optimal for my "high volume" foot (and that model doesn't come in a mega). Lake has a pretty good looking winter mountain bike boot (what I use) that comes in a wide width, and seems I've heard good things about Lake winter shoes. Anyone use these? Comments on function, sizing compared to Sidis? TIA

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/13/13 1:18 PM

General Lake Comments.

I believe Lake used to and may still make Shimano Shoes.

I have Lake TT shoes I used all of the road time/riding and only the light vinyl covering of the rear entry pad has disintegrated, leaving the textile material it WAS on top of fully intact. Point being quality pretty good.

As to size, these have a nice toe box for my DDD-D foot. Easily the most comfortable cycling shoe I have had on my feet. Do all lake shoes, I dunno...

I almost got a set of Lake winter boots off Craigslist, but even though the price was good, used shoes unless just used a few times...

Although if they where a little bigger that I could/would be using my neoprene socks all the time maybe used OK. yada

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

11/13/13 1:21 PM

Do I understand that you have Lake boots, want shoes?

dan emery

11/13/13 1:29 PM

Nah

Dan, I'm just being confusing by using "shoes" and "boots" interchangeably. I have Sidis, looking at Lakes (in both cases, high, warm, winter models).

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/13/13 1:38 PM

OK, I have Lake boots. I think the model is MXZ-302X The last X is for wide. My best Sidi size for summer use is 45.5 Mega. I also have some Sidi 46.5 mega that I bought before I got the boots. For winter use I wanted a looser fit to allow for extra socks and still not be tight.

My Lake boots, in size 47 wide, fit like my Sidi 46.5 mega, and are a good size for winter use. The boots are outstanding and keep my feet quite warm. Highly recommended.

The Fat bike guys Like 45NRTH Wolvhammer or some such boot, but I have no sizing info. Said to be even warmer and more wintry and more $ than the Lake.

http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/wolvhammer

dan emery

11/13/13 3:45 PM

Thanks Dan

Perfect info. The Wolfhammers probably are a bit more than I need, but they do sound badass. Looks like I can take a short drive and check out both them and the Lakes up at Bath Cycle & Ski (Bikeman).

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

11/14/13 3:06 PM

45NRTH

Just picked up a pair. Looking forward to see how they do. I am told they are produced by QBP and that they do a limited run and many are sold out already Used to have a pair of Northwaves, decent but as with most boots you get 1.5 hrs before feet get cold. Some years back there was a review of winter boots ( Northwave, lake and Sidi's) the Lakes came out tops in the review, the Northwaves were the cheapest

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/14/13 3:17 PM

Boots

Saturday I think I'll take a drive up to Bikeman where I can actually try on both Lakes and Wolfies. Rick, I don't expect to be out 1.5 hours too often in boot weather, but OTOH I commute at below 0 F, the main issues being feet and hands (and face).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

11/16/13 3:09 PM

Love my Wolfies

Picked up a pair of Wolvhammers today and, even though it was much too warm (50F), took them out for a spin. This is definitely a full on winter boot - where my old Sidi Diablos are a slightly winterized cycling shoe, these are more like Sorel Pac Boots that you can ride in. Weight weenies need not apply, and I doubt you would want these unless you spend significant saddle time below 20F.

That said, they ride great. My feet were hot today, but didn't sweat so I think the shoes breathe well. With a Cordura outside, waterproof membrane and tight top closure (you can even use gaiters), I think they will be pretty impervious to bad weather. At first it seemed like they were slightly restricting my ankle motion (there is a lot of boot there) but things loosened up and by the end of the ride that was not an issue.

My first thought in the store was that I might pass because getting into them is a bit of a process (commuting I change in and out of cycling shoes 5 times per day or so), but with a little practice they go on and off quickly. They are great to walk in, I think I could use them as a snowshoeing boot.

They come in one width, but it is wide. I take a 44.5 mega in Sidi road shoes, and have a high instep, and 45 Wolfies fit me great.

I am confident I will not be "underbooted" this winter!

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

11/16/13 7:22 PM

This is the model I purchased

http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/fasterkatt

Reply to topic    

dfcas

11/17/13 8:28 AM

I have wolf envy... Dan, did you try the Lakes? Differences?

dan emery

11/17/13 9:59 AM

Lakes

They didn't have the Lakes in a wide in my size, and my "high volume" foot didn't fit well into the regular width, so I didn't really try them. The wolfs were a little higher, cordura vs lorica or whatever, maybe a little more stuffed with insulation, etc. I'm sure the Lakes in the right size would be great. I also tried some Shimanos, which were more toward the cycling shoe end of the spectrum, like my Sidis.

This place is both a shop and mail order biz, and I guess winter shoe inventory fluctuates quickly this time of year as shoes go out and some come back - the sales guy said a fair number of people order 2 sizes and send back the one that doesn't fit - kind of a PITA there...They gave me a discount for buying at the shop.

Reply to topic    

mag7

11/18/13 9:12 AM

quote:
They didn't have the Lakes in a wide in my size

I have twice tried to buy Lake shoes for the past couple years for road and mtn but have found stock to be elusive at best. Finally got in touch with the Canadian distributor for the US who sent me an inventory list of everything they have in stock since there was no stocking dealing within 500 miles of NC. And even that list mostly showed "out of stock." Even overseas distributors have limited stock. Curious business model.

dan emery

11/21/13 3:42 PM

Happy Feet

Rode in at 24F this morning (not that cold, but cold enough to pay attention to your feet). In the Wolvhammers my feet were toasty. I rode home for lunch and it was 40, no need for them at that temp, so I rode back in my normal Dominators.

For cold commuting I think these are a great design, as they are high and can seal tightly at the top over your tights or pants. Windproof. No need for thick socks under at least most conditions. Thick vibram sole so you walk just like in any other boot, don't even notice the cleat.

So now I can wear my Doms down to about 40, my old Diablos in the 30s, my Wolfs in the 20s and below.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -