HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Termite question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dddd

11/2/13 10:29 PM

Termite question

Not the Termite Forum, I know, but does anyone here know how to tell if a termite is a "dry-wood" termite by visual inspection?

Odd little critter I found (second one this month) runs backward when approached from any direction.
Fairly skinny and the antennae are particularly short.

I've had one person tell me to ask someone from the dept of ag, and others who told me that termite industry folks are not so trustworthy.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

11/2/13 11:02 PM

My experience with termites was extensive at my first house.

The version we get on Long Island was either the little worm like white thing that eats the wood and makes the mud tunnels, or were the winged ant like critters that swarmed in the spring.

I only saw the white ones if I found an active tunnel. I saw the winged versions if the colony had gotten too large, which is why they swarmed and it was never just a few but was always a lot.

What you should do is collect them, stick them in a Baggie and show them to an exterminator. They can identify them as termites or not.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/2/13 11:49 PM

http://www.termites.com/types-of-termites/

Funny, I had just been to tat site yesterday morning after telling my wife of a conversation with a exterminator that was on our block.

Soliciting apparently, as there is a house going up across the street. I remember when I bought this place the Realtor looked at me funny when she let me in for my inspection when I mentioned termites as one of the things I was looking for. Apparently, not anywhere near here, which was a first for me thinking they were everywhere. Just where I have lived/worked previously apparently. ;)

How far north in CA are ya? I forget where I mailed tat shifter.

Any Juniper stands near you?

According the that site:

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

daddy-o

11/3/13 2:18 PM

Try the biology department of a university. Good luck

dan emery

11/3/13 4:56 PM

No termites here but

I am currently battling a fruit fly infestation. Kitchen cleaned, vinegar traps set, enemy casualties are mounting. I feel the tide is turning.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/3/13 5:04 PM

fruit fly infestation

Cleans all the traps out! Especially a garbage disposal!

Had a bad bout in TN, small issue here this year as well.

They hate Dawn dish washing liquid BTW. We use the hand foam soap dispensers with diluted dawn in them. The blue Dawn seems to work best. I just squirt the foam from the dispenser into the drains after cleaning the sink/loading the DW and even pump it into the garbage to keep them at bay.

Last edited by Sparky on 11/3/13 10:49 PM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

11/3/13 10:15 PM

I've had odors eminate from the disposal vent/drain, so perhaps a fly infestation could take root in there, the line that goes to the vent that sits atop the sink deck.
I used a rubber hose to blast a generic "scrubbing bubbles"-type foam in the vent all the way down into the disposal, and them passages were left very clean and odor-free. I also use the Scrubbing Bubbles can with a hose to maintain the flow of the shower drain, which occasionally plugs from hair conditioning products I believe. It mimics the "foaming pipe snake" product, and, I believe, even precedes it. The generic product is only 99 cents, although not so effective as the real Scrubbing Bubbles in all honesty.

One more thing about bugs like kitchen moths or weevils, the spider population is very quick to multiply in response and tends to nicely regulate the appearance of the flying vermin as long as the homeowner isn't too easily creeped out. The kitchen spiders are pretty good about staying put right where the problem originates, such as a bag of oats, whole wheatflour, or trail mix.

Here's a picture of the OC, or "original critter". I'm not sure that this is really a termite. When pestered, the bug pokes it's arse at the ground, which apparently has a suction-cup function as the bug can tug it's body rearward using the tail-tip grip, and do so in fairly rapid repetition much as an inchworm travels in the foreward direction.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -