Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Deal on GP4000S at ProBikeKit
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave B

11/8/13 8:53 PM

quote:
Not to mention the container with the French and German tires has to travel a lot less of a distance to the UK than the states. Think that has some effect on the price here maybe?

They generally aren't made in France or Germany but it Asia so the transportation costs aren't much different to Europe or the UK than to the US

Also, the UK suppliers generally offer free shipping on relatively modest orders so even including the transportation to here still allows significantly lower prices.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

11/9/13 9:55 AM

There's one more issue...

...and that is that US importers typically have exclusivity in the US market, which allows them to charge whatever price they think the market will bear. If there was competition among importers, I suspect that we'd see prices more on par with Europe.

I still think that we're just getting shafted.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/9/13 10:25 AM

Every conti I have here says 'Made in Germany' except the Mountain Kings which I noticed say Taiwan. This surprised me frankly, but I have only used road Conti prior. Michelins and Huctchinsons say 'Made in France' The Vit Rubino Pro III say 'Made in Thailand'.

I suppose it is reasonable to assume the lower end of the lines aren't made in country??

Jesus Saves

11/9/13 10:19 PM

purchasing power parity

quote:
Since almost none of these tires, certainly not the Vittorias, are made either in the US or anywhere in Europe, the cost difference can't be related to the $/Euro/Pound relative value.

That's incorrect reasoning. What you assert was true before there was significant price differences.

If the tires are made in the countries, then over the ***long*** run, there should be no difference in price, post currency conversion. That's known as purchasing power parity. We're not talking long run here.

If a USA retailer and a UK retailer both purchase tires from a Chinese manufacturer, then USD-EUR currency fluctuations do matter. Much like EUR-CHN and USD-CHN exchanges rates matter at the wholesale level. But you are purchasing at the retail level, so that is only relevant. (And in this example, China pegs the yuan against the dollar so there is not significant currency exchange risk).

For instance, the iPad, from day one has cost significantly more in countries like Argentina and the Philippines, than the USA, always and persistently so, from day one until now. During such time, including the present it is manufactured in China/Taiwan. Something other than currency exchange rates explains the longstanding and persistent difference in price. This is true over the long run; something other than currency value difference (see purchasing power parity) Perhaps it is a higher tariff, higher transport costs, etc.

With tires, the pricing (US vs Euro) has now significantly changed over the short term. So what has changed?

The Euro and the Pound have dropped greatly in value over the past few months to the US Dollar. That is significant. Enough so to explain the retail price differences for the tires.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/9/13 10:38 PM

Are we saying all these including the ones marked otherwise made in Asia?

Brian Nystrom

11/10/13 7:23 AM

It's not due to recent exchange rate changes...

...as this has been an issue for many years. The amount of disparity varies, but only slightly, which is what one would expect from exchange rate fluctuations. A change in the exchange rate of 10-20% does not explain why tires here are frequently around double the price in Europe and have been for a long time.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/10/13 8:49 AM

the "Q"

Do bike shops also purchase their tires from the "Q"? As in the Quality Bicycle Products wholesaler which serves 5,000+ bike shops in the USA. If so that would explain a lot.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/10/13 7:24 PM

It doesn't explain anything

Prices here in are high from large mail order companies as well and I'm sure that they buy direct from the importer.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/10/13 9:36 PM

Sorry, but I do not follow your reasoning. First off, who is the "importer" or importers that you mention?

You wrote, "...and that is that US importers typically have exclusivity in the US market, which allows them to charge whatever price they think the market will bear. If there was competition among importers, I suspect that we'd see prices more on par with Europe."

And if the source you cite is selling tires for almost half off, why haven't bike shops and mail order companies purchased from this same source as well? There are plenty of domestic retailers to purchase the contis from. That is there is plenty of competition. And with a 50% or so markup, from the source you provide there is plenty of profit margin for these retailers to compete on price, sourcing their stock from another retailer overseas like the one you cited.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

11/10/13 9:41 PM

grey market

There used to be considerable interest in the grey market in other areas that I'm familiar with.

For example, B&H Photo used to sell camera gear at a discount if unofficially imported. The difference would be warranty and inconvenience.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/11/13 6:37 AM

Importers are importers, there's no mystery

Continental has a US importer, as does Vittoria and every other brand. If you want to know the names of the companies, do a Google search. Importers are typically given the exclusive right to the US market and nobody else can buy directly from the manufacturer.

The reason that dealers don't buy from European retailers is that the cost is about the same as buying wholesale from a US importer/distributor. Consumers cannot buy from importers/distributors, but we can buy from European retailers at about the same price. The implication is simple, the price of tires here is high because the importer/distributors are charging dealers much higher prices than their counterparts in Europe.

There are exceptions to this, such as Bikesdirect.com and similar companies. In their case, you're buying directly from the importer. That's why the Ti Motobecane 29er that I'll be receiving this week cost me $2800 instead of $5000.

Perhaps you haven't figured it out yet, but rubber goods have a pretty high profit margin at retail, much higher than bikes and "hard parts". They're one of the few areas where retailers can make decent money (others are clothing and optics).

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/11/13 7:23 AM

Well now your post is clear, because up until now, you were not making much sense using basic economic principles. Or more like "doesn't explain anything". You failed to communicate your industry knowledge until now. And if you are going to tell someone to do a google search, then what was the point of your original post?

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/12/13 5:30 AM

Nobody else...

...seemed to have any problem understanding it.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/12/13 7:52 AM

Let me break it down for you.

You start a thread and notify us about an importer of tires. And one that we later learn has existed for a very long time. As in is one not due to currency exchange differences; I take your word for it without you providing any further explanation and supporting evidence.

Your whole contention is that "we're just getting shafted." because of a "lack of competition among importers". uh, really? Is that so? See your original post or the follow up post of others citing other sources.

Incidentally I did a follow-up google search for Conti GP4000S, and the top hits were for retailers selling the tires for prices which you consider reasonable. If there's competition lacking, its lost on me. (I've never ridden Contis, have no interest, so this topic is only of new found interest)

You then proceed to tell me I haven't explain anything, despite the fact you cannot name another higher priced importer when asked. You assert a lot, but are light on the details. Perhaps you really don't know or are too lazy to communicate.

You finally assert, "Importers are typically given the exclusive right to the US market and nobody else can buy directly from the manufacturer." Prove it. I say bullshit. You know why, because that whole last post of yours describes an illegal practice here in the US AND in Europe.

If you want to know why, then "do a Google search". Or perhaps one of the lawyers here will instead chime in, ...that is someone who can provide some supporting factual context.

Maybe, just maybe, why bike shops charge $60+ per Conti tires...it is the price its customers are willing to pay .

Reply to topic    

Sparky

11/12/13 11:41 AM

$80.00, not 60.00 for the road tires here.

I think the above argument, all due respect, is superfluous.

As far as it being legal, it seems to me when it comes to commerce in the US maybe a great deal of latitude exists in regards to rule of law. Or at least overlooking it.

Last edited by Sparky on 11/12/13 11:44 AM; edited 1 time in total

greglepore

11/12/13 6:42 PM

Price fixing across an entire industry is illegal, having a sole importer licensed to bring in a product is not. A manufacturer can give an exclusive right to any territory to anyone (at least in the us, I know nothing of EU law) but can't conspire with OTHER manufacturers to fix a price.

April

11/12/13 7:18 PM

While we're on the subject...

What's the difference between GP4000 and GP 4000S anyway?

Sparky

11/12/13 7:53 PM

I thought it was the Black Chili compound, but a visit to the Conti sire show the non S also comes in Black Chili and bot the 4k and 4ks are 3 ply 330 TPI with Vectran Breaker for flat resistance.

So now I am less sure than I thought I was. ;)

I have some red 4K non S that seem to have worn a lot faster then the 4KS's I have been using subsequently.

sandiway

11/12/13 10:21 PM

quote:
Price fixing across an entire industry is illegal, having a sole importer licensed to bring in a product is not. A manufacturer can give an exclusive right to any territory to anyone (at least in the us, I know nothing of EU law) but can't conspire with OTHER manufacturers to fix a price.

Sometimes, it's the manufacturer's fault for having a multi-tiered strategy for wholesale pricing to different countries.

If people buy their drugs in Canada or Mexico using a US prescription, is that illegal?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

April

11/13/13 8:31 AM

quote:
If people buy their drugs in Canada or Mexico using a US prescription, is that illegal?

It's illegal in the US.

Isn't there a highly publisized issue on the evening news about Maine state employee health plan that involves getting Rx filled in a Canadian based mail order company?

Jesus Saves

11/13/13 11:43 AM

quote:

You are correct in that broader scope. However, a large manufacturer giving an exclusive license is going to be looked at very closely for restraint of trade practice. That is particularly so when the "territory" is the entire country.

For instance, conti gives you the exclusive license to be the sole distributor/importer of its GP 4000s tire. In consideration for doing so, conti will (may) dictate you may not (re)sell the tires for less than $80/tire. If so, you will violate the license agreement and we'll find another distributor to take your place. In turn, the same pricing scheme could occur with you and your bike shop customers.

The restraint practice is known as Resale Price Maintenance which is part of anti-trust legislation. In the UK, Dunlop tires was guilty of this. In the US, Schwinn and more recently Apple are examples of companies which were sued for this practice.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

11/14/13 5:03 AM

Can you condense that into something a little more pithy

?

Brian Nystrom

11/14/13 6:31 AM

Learn to read!

My original post was about a UK-based retailer , not a US importer. So much for your rant...

As others have said, price fixing is illegal, but granting exclusive rights to import/distribute a product is not only legal, it's a very widespread practice across a broad range of businesses. Sometimes it's done through a US-based division of a company, sometimes it's done by licensing an independent US-based company. It's also why some products cannot be sold into the US market from foreign countries, another very common practice. That doesn't happen to be the case for Conti tires.

As for retail pricing in the US, retailers are forced to charge higher prices because they pay higher prices for the product. People here pay those prices because the only alternative is to order from a foreign supplier and many people either don't know about that option or they're unwilling to do so.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/14/13 7:02 AM

"My original post was about a UK-based retailer , not a US importer. So much for your rant..."

A UK-based retailer who sells tires here is an importer in my book. Others will agree... For instance, do you drink or drive (but not both @ same time) a domestic or an import?

Last edited by Jesus Saves on 11/14/13 8:19 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

11/14/13 7:26 AM

daddy-o..

greglepore mentioned price fixing among multiple companies, across the industry, say conti, michelin, vitorria, maxxis, and others all agreeing not to sell their tires below a price say $100.

What I describe, resale price maintenance, is a single company dictating to its retailers, distributors, or "importers" (as the other poster likes to refer), that you cannot (re)sell our product for less than $X. If you do, we will cut you off; no longer supply you with our product (conti tires) to resell.

What the other poster was describing is a resale price maintenance practice which is illegal. It does not exist for conti because Conti would have cracked down on UK retailers selling low priced conti tires here in the US. Conti to UK retailer: you sell tires in the USA (for a much lower price than we dictate), and we will no longer sell you tires. There's only one maker of conti tires (Conti, of course) and its quite a popular tire, so it is a significant threat and significant potential loss of business for a reseller. If Conti (or its single, exclusive distributor/importer) did dictate resell price, the US government would sue and fine them $$$ applying the same anti-trust law gregl describes.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -