View posts since last visit

OT: Google mail POP server
 Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

10/25/13 6:42 PM

Deleting

quote:
change the setting to leave the messages on the server.

Yes this would allow Gmail to fetch the messages from Yahoo and the reason the fetch is not happening now is that Outlook pulls them from Yahoo before Gmail fetches. Gmail is already configured to leave copies on the Gmail server as I didn't want to risk losing them during the transition. The problem is that even unique messages coming to Gmail do not forward to my laptop.

quote:
once outlook on the desktop retrieves the gmail messages, its deleting them and leaving nothing for the laptop to retrieve.

Not clear what you mean here. Outlook is NOT retrieving messages from Gmail and that is the essence of my problem. Are you saying that if I forced all mail to Gmail (deleted the Yahoo POP account from Outlook) then Outlook would start retrieving Gmail messages? It seems that with the Gmail IMAP account set as my primary, those messages that go straight to Gmail (not fetched from Yahoo) should be retrieved by Outlook on my laptop. This is NOT happening.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/25/13 7:13 PM

Outlook is a <i>client</i>
The services like yahoo, gmail, exchange, hotmail, are servers.

I wouldn't force all mail to gmail and close yahoo yet. Wait until you have the client stuff working. By that I mean all your mail is safely where you want it to be. With outlook that means to me -on my computer -in a file I can back up. Once you achieve that, close one mail server connection at the time. But don't close the account - make it so you can still access it on the internet just for a sanity check. Eventually you'll close them.

Also, for testing purposes, open another email account - a dummy, like TestKIron@gmail.com. Every email you send from that should have a consistent pattern for subject but uniquely identifiable. Seriously, it sounds like you need to get down to that level. This is real belts and suspenders stuff, total accountability and reference, self-documenting. When something is broken it will be instantly clear what happened.

This laptop is running Outlook 2003, but it should be somewhat useful

Tools > Options
Options dialog opens
Click mail setup tab
Click E-Mail Accounts button
A wizard opens
View or change existing email accounts > next button
Click/highlight one of the accounts, > click change button
Find and click a "more settings" button
Another dialog pops up
Click Advanced tab
Near the bottom under "Delivery"
---check boxes---
<b><i>"Leave a copy of messages on the server"</b></i> (that's why I specified the client/server relationship at the top of this post)
also
"remove after ____ days
and
Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'

<b>There is more than one way to get there. With Outlook closed, try going to the control panel > mail --might be way faster
Also, Microsoft has a <i>connector</i> for their services (hotmail, live) just in case you use an MS service</b>

These settings should be available for POP or IMAP. Good choice using IMAP.
This will start working just fine by the end of the weekend. It will take a little sleuthing and perseverance.

Okay, I'm done for the night. I'll check in later this weekend. Good luck.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/26/13 10:24 AM

FWIW, When I lost Comcast after years and years of saved messages I did the following.

First, mail client on my PC. So when I made the new Client account for the Gmail acct. I simply edited out the server info for the Comcast accts, and still have the folders and all the email for that account. If you delete the old account on the client as long as you have the mail file saved you can also get the mail back into the client for viewing.
I had deleted one out and realized that was the wrong approach and had some fudging to plug back into the pointers in the DB file to get the messages to appear back in the client folders, oops.

I have always had the client set to only delete mail off the server when deleted locally. A lot of header scanning when the client hits the server with all that mail to sync., but I have messages from 2007-8 still.

My mail client base is a data base holding a lot info on paymesnt, addresses, notes for guitar and amp stuff. If i lost it I would loose a lot of data and not be happy about it.

greglepore

10/26/13 10:34 AM

I presumed from your earlier posts that you have two computers set up with outlook-I believe that one (what I referred to as your desktop) is pulling messages off of the gmail server and deleting them and thus your laptop never sees them.

Sparky

10/26/13 10:44 AM

The default is to delete the messages off the server when taken on every client I have set up. You can of course specify a time or tell the client to leave them on the server indefinitely, up to a limit the the server may be set up for....

I did that for years so I could keep mail on a laptop and desktop prior to going strictly lap tops.

KerryIrons

10/26/13 7:12 PM

Clarification

I have only one computer, my laptop, and yes my settings for the sbcglobal mail server (the one I want to phase out) are to delete when it's forwarded to my Outlook Inbox. In a decade of using this I have never had an issue so that is my preferred approach. I leave nothing on the sbcglobal mail server.

So to recap:

What I have now (and had before getting Gmail): Email to me-> sbcglobal mail-server (where it queues) -> queried every 5 minutes by Outlook/POP -> My Inbox

What I want to have: Email to me-> Gmail mail-server (where it queues) -> queried every 5 by Outlook/IMAP -> My Inbox. This is what does not work.

I wonder if I should delete the sbcglobal mail server account in Outlook. I have the Gmail account selected as primary but maybe the existence of the sbcglobal mail server account is somehow interfering with Outlook retrieving from the Gmail account. When I get email to the Gmail account it just stays there. Also, the sbcglobal mail server account is POP while the Gmail account is IMAP. Could that be an issue?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/26/13 9:28 PM

In the client, is the following set as IMAP

server: imap.googlemail.com
port: 993
User: name@gmail.com
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Auth method: Normal Security

KerryIrons

10/27/13 6:44 PM

Success!!!!

I finally got it working, though it may have been working all along.

I double checked a bunch of settings and went all the way deep in all the menus and tabs I could find. One of the things I noticed was the folders into which Gmail would supposedly deposit the mail on Outlook, but I didn't pay much attention.

I finally decided to take the leap and delete my sbcglobal server account in Outlook. Then I shut down Outlook, waited a decent interval, and started it up again. Lo and behold there were all the mails that had been sitting on the Gmail server. Rejoice!!!

Then I clicked on Inbox in Outlook, and all those mails were gone! WTF? Panic!!!

Then it dawned on me that they must be in an Outlook folder somewhere so I started digging. Well it turns out that Gmail sets up it's own set of Outlook folders, including its own Inbox with the folder name of my Gmail address. The problem was that I had to scroll down a ways on the folder pane on the left side of Outlook to find this magic new folder structure, but there it was.

And THEN it dawned on me that the folder might have been there from the very first time I "successfully" set up Gmail as an IMAP server for my Outlook client and I just didn't see it.

Either way I am now a happy camper with all my Gmail flowing to Outlook. I would rather it go to the regular Outlook Inbox but that's a future dragon to slay.

Either way, I learned a lot about how things work and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and insights.

Email me at irons54vortex (at) gmail (dot) com

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

10/27/13 8:34 PM

I would rather it go to the regular Outlook Inbox

Maybe set up a rule

Congrats!

KerryIrons

10/28/13 6:48 PM

Outlook Inbox

quote:
I would rather it go to the regular Outlook Inbox

Me too but I haven't found a way to do this. When setting up the IMAP client in Outlook the folder structure was "supplied" by Google. At least I have no memory of getting to chose which folder the mail would go into. And when you look at the account information in Outlook (via mail on the control panel) you see the folder structure but there don't seem to be choices available.

It turns out, unlike the POP3 account, with IMAP there is constant communication back and forth between the Gmail server and Outlook. Emails that were in my Outlook Sent Mail folder way before I opened the Gmail account are now on the Gmail server. When you delete an email in Outlook, it takes a second or two as it is communicating that deletion to the Gmail server. I would prefer that Gmail just forward everything to Outlook and let me worry about managing the mail.

Also, every time I send an email now Gmail sends a copy of it back to Outlook, so my Sent Mail folder has two of every mail I send. Easy enough to delete but I'd like to figure out how to get that to stop. Growing pains, I hope.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

10/28/13 7:00 PM

"folder structure was "supplied" by Google."

Which is why I like the unified in T-Boid.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -