Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Google mail POP server
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

10/20/13 7:06 PM

OT: Google mail POP server

I run Outlook as a Pop server to download my email from my ISP to my laptop. I'd like to switch to using Gmail so that I can change ISPs without losing or changing my email address. I have literally hundreds of regular email correspondents so I will need to advise a lot of people of the change. Gmail says they will forward from my old (current) email address for 30 days.

Has anyone done this kind of switch using this feature? Anything I need to watch out for or "do right the first time"?

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

10/20/13 7:27 PM

I am weaning all my mail to my gmail. I hate being tied to my ISP email if I move etc. My gmail address is totally portable and the filters, folder management etc are pretty good.

We all have to come to grips that Google reads our mail.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

10/20/13 7:31 PM

You mean you use Outlook as a POP3 client I will assume.

If you are 'not' loosing the current ISP in right away, you can go ahead and set up the gmail and use the gmail address as your reply to with your current ISP.

When you do change over everyone you sent an eMail that replies will have the gmail addy in their system. Be it a web client or client on their own PC for the most part.

This has been my methodology with success a few times over the last few years with moving and ISP changes.

I still use Thunderbird as a local client for my gmail and not the web based client @ google. So I never log into google.

ErikS

10/20/13 7:51 PM

I use iOS for my mail instead of logging into google.

Brian Nystrom

10/21/13 5:14 AM

I did it several years ago

I decided to use IMAP instead of POP 3, but the process was relatively painless. I notified everyone in my address book of the change and forwarded emails from my old account. It took a while to find every service/vendor which is signed up with using the old account, but it worked out over time. I still have the ISP account and still forward emails from it but almost nothing comes in through it.

I use T-bird as my email client, because Gmail's interface was horrible at the time I switched. I guess it's better now, but I still don't use it.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/21/13 6:00 AM

30 days? I've had it monitoring an old, but still live, email for years...

Dave B

10/21/13 7:08 AM

Verizon?

Isn't a national provider like Verizon accessible no matter where you are or where you move?

Jesus Saves

10/21/13 7:46 AM

email host providers

Switching to gmail means you are stuck with gmail regardless of which ISP service your use to access your gmail account. That's fine, but if you really want more freedom, consider registering a domain name like kerryirons.com and then use it with a (web/email) host provider of your choice. If you decide to change hosts, you take kerryirons.com with you. That gives you the most flexibility and freedom. You also do not provide your private information to google and are free from viewing their ads. You can pay a host provider as little as a few dollars per month to host kerryirons.com and store your email and email addresses on their server. You can up/download such information at your will. And accessing email from Outlook or a web browser is available too.

http://www.hosting-review.com/hosting-directory/top-10-lists/Top-10-Email-Hosting-Companies.shtml

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

10/21/13 7:00 PM

ISPs

No point in my going Verizon any more than going Gmail is there? Verizon is not my phone company. Currently I am on DSL from AT&T but will move to cable Internet next year. If I don't have my laptop connected my mail accumulates at the AT&T Yahoo! mail server. At that point I want my email to be totally independent of my Internet provider.

Nothing I ever send or receive gives me pause about Google reading it :)

Greg: Gmail says they will forward mail for 30 days. What are you doing that lets you get forwarded mail "forever"? That would be a perfect solution.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

10/22/13 4:43 AM

quote:
Has anyone done this kind of switch using this feature? Anything I need to watch out for or "do right the first time"?
Just be aware that if you have configured two-stage authentication on your gmail account, you will need to create and use an application specific password for your mail client in order to access gmail via the client. See https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833 for more information.

I had to do this in order for Thunderbird to be able to access my gmail.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/22/13 5:49 AM

Kerry- you need to keep the other address "live"-then in settings/accounts you set up gmail to monitor it. I have a comcast account that is still active b/c my ex still has my old comcast account and she's let me keep an email. I didn't realize you want to kill the old one, but if you keep it alive for a bit gmail will continue to forward, and if you use gmail in advance of the move it will give you more time to adapt everyone to the change.

daddy-o

10/22/13 6:25 AM

Gmail, Google, reading and following

Yes it's a given that Google reads and tracks.

I just like to keep my exposure to a minimum as a habit because that's how I earn my living.

For example:
Since every EULA states you enter an agreement that "can be changed at any time without notice," giving Google my telephone number is one step closer to their partner telemarketers interrupting my life.

The fabric created by multiple sites with multiple advertising agreements is the new definition of the WWW.

We are the food, they are the spiders!

The free goodies is the sticky stuff!

(HUMOR!!!!)

daddy-o

10/22/13 6:28 AM

Semi-on-topic

NOT humor

Has anyone heard of the new ransom-ware?

Cryptolocker

It encrypts files on your disk and requests money for the private key to decrypt.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/18/cryptolocker_ransmware/

Andy M-S

10/22/13 7:09 AM

Outlook

I've been using Outlook since it first came out c. 1997 (before that, I used Eudora) since it integrated a calendar (prior to that we used Windows Calendar, and I figured one application was better than two). And it was far superior to most "desktop PDA" programs from day 1.

These days I'm still using Outlook (2010) as a desktop mail client, with five email accounts that I monitor regularly for different purposes, including my professional account (I am lord of my own domain), gmail, hotmail, outlook, and an outlook alias. It generally works pretty well.

One of these days I'll likely "close" one of those accounts, but with Outlook I can officially do that and still monitor things.

Fortunately, Outlook is far less of a memory hog than it used to be, and since dealing with email is a major part of what I do...it doesn't hurt to leave it always running.

Sparky

10/22/13 9:51 AM

Eudora was a mainstay for a long time.

TBoid with it's unified folder view IMO makes for multi client use @ it's best. Does Outlook these days do a unified folders view ?

Last edited by Sparky on 10/22/13 11:42 AM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

10/22/13 10:25 AM

Unified View

Unfortunately, not per se . It does have the "Outlook Today" page, and that does show you all inboxes, but not as well as I'd like. I use that and the Favorites pane to navigate it pretty well, however.

KerryIrons

10/22/13 6:46 PM

Struggling

I have set this up with Gmail's "fetcher" system. It fetched exactly one email from my old account and then came up with:

Authentication error. Server returned error “[SYSTEMP] internal server error (#S6532)’

A Google search didn't come up with much. Gmail automatically configured as IMAP rather than POP. I've made changes in my mail account to remove the old pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com and replace it with imap.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com and I changed my Gmail password to match my ATT Yahoo password but no joy. I had my wife send me emails to my old and new addresses and that's where they went. So far nothing has been forwarded from my Gmail account to my laptop.

I suspect I have to have somebody on the phone walk me through this to get it right. The question is who?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/22/13 7:41 PM

You're using Settings/Accounts/Check Mail from Other accounts using POP3? Then use the pop and smtp settings for yahoo along with the yahoo password?

KerryIrons

10/23/13 6:58 PM

Status

When I restarted the computer this AM some things were fixed so apparently a restart was needed. My Gmail account had new mails in it that were obviously captured from AT&T Yahoo! I think the reason the Google "fetcher" isn't working is that the mails are sent directly to my computer before the fetcher even sees them.

I did dig deeper into the Google setup advice and changed some settings today so I'll have to see how it works tomorrow. Settings are as follows:

Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com.
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com.
Check Use an encrypted connection (SSL)
Outgoing server (SMTP): 587.
Check Use an encrypted connection (TLS)
Incoming server (IMAP) 993.

This works in that it can send a test message to Gmail, but that message stays on the Gmail server and doesn't forward to Outlook on my computer.

So it's IMAP rather than POP3 based on Gmail's recommendation. Through today it downloaded nothing to my computer from Gmail and I got all my regular mail from AT&T Yahoo! I'm wondering if I should remove the yahoo.com POP connection to force everything though Gmail? That would let the Gmail fetcher work (I think) but it would leave all my email on the Gmail server. I want it to forward to Outlook on my machine.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/23/13 7:28 PM

Is Outlook deleting mail fromt he yahoo server after it downloads it, leaving nothing for gmail to 'fetch"?

ErikS

10/24/13 4:22 AM

The interesting thing for me is I don't even set up a mail app on my computer. I rely on my iPad and phone for it.

For 99% of home users the iOS support for gmail is good to go.

My work email is all outlook with sorting rules, folders, to do lists and such. I leave that shit at work though.

I do send meetings and appointments to my home account because I like my meetings and such on my family calendar. Then my wife can see if she can call or text without interrupting things.

PLee

10/24/13 6:59 AM

Wait a minute. You can send your work Outlook calendar to your personal Outlook calendar? How does one go about doing that? That can come in handy.

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

10/24/13 12:42 PM

Right click forward. You can add it to any calendar program that supports the iCalendar standard (pretty much all of 'em). You can also upload an Outlook calendar to a website or import it into Google calendar. You can find youtube videos on how to do such.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

10/24/13 7:05 PM

Fetch

quote:
Is Outlook deleting mail from the yahoo server after it downloads it, leaving nothing for gmail to 'fetch"?

Yes Greg, I think that is exactly what is happening. When I open things up in the morning, mail that has come in overnight has gone to my Gmail account but during the day my laptop queries the Yahoo! server more often than the Gmail fetcher does, and so everything still goes to my laptop Outlook.

What DOESN'T happen is mail coming to my Gmail account coming to my laptop. Once I can get that working properly then I can notify everyone to switch to my Gmail address. Until I can get that working virtually no one knows my Gmail address and I don't want stuff going there. Gmail may be just fine but I have over 20 years of using Outlook and do not want to go to either a different mail system or a web-based mail system.

I have found tutorials and am trying different settings but I have just run another setup and still no luck. The test messages from configuring IMAP in Outlook go to Gmail but Outlook does not pick them up.

Can anyone suggest a help desk to walk me through this?

Reply to topic    

greglepore

10/25/13 5:34 AM

There is a setting in Outlook under the accounts tab (I forget exactly where, but you'll find it) that allows you to either leave messages on the server or delete them upon retrieval (or after a specified number of days). Your Outlook is pretty obviously configured to delete immediately, so you need to go in and change the setting to leave the messages on the server. Do this for both the yahoo and the gmail accounts. Actually, now that Yahoo is being fetched by gmail I'd delete the entire Yahoo account from outlook so that you don't get duplicates of all of the Yahoo messages.

This is the problem with the laptop as well, I suspect-once outlook on the desktop retrieves the gmail messages, its deleting them and leaving nothing for the laptop to retrieve.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -