Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Disassembling Shimano shifter?
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dddd

11/21/13 10:54 PM

Congrat's

Whatever it takes, at minimum, I always say.

Those Dura-Ace shifters are good stuff.

Reply to topic    

April

11/22/13 2:30 PM

quote:
Those Dura-Ace shifters are good stuff.

Actually, mine is Ultegra. But it actually matches up with the diagram for D/A.

I don't know how the bend piece will do to the longivity of the lever. (there's a bit of "extra space" here and there which dirt can get in, at least theorectically)

Now that I'm feeling confident, maybe I could tackle the re-building of my 20 year old Campy lever! ;-) Just kidding.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

11/29/13 4:49 PM

@Dan

quote:
@April
I have no idea about your shifter, but how's the clav?

Sorry Dan, totally missed your post. Only noticed it when I showed the thread to others.

I don't know if you followed the 29 vs. Cross thread, in which you would have seen some of my post on the current situation.

Basically, compare to the surgery itselt, the accident was more like a cake walk! (well, it kind of was, you were there to see me joke with the ER doc)

But the surgery pales when compared to PT. :-( The extent of scar tissue is scarily HUGE! (4" long x whatever the width affected inside). Never been in so much pain in my life, EVER! This is coming from smoeone who is rather "insensitive" to pain.

Fortunately at least, there's no surgical complications and the plate held. So in time, the bone "should" knit. (they don't actually KNOW without an MRI, just assume it does in x number of weeks, ironically they will only order an MRI if there's complication ;-] ) MRI was eventually ordered given my continue high pain level. Came back with an all clear. But since it was only ordered post-appointment (whole other aggrevation). Will have to wait another month to actually "see" it and ask any further questions.

For us cyclists, the silver lining is we could get back on the bike pretty quickly despite the scar tissue since we don't really move nor stress our upper body that much with riding. And the endorphine also help to relieve the pain, for a couple hours that is.

Kayak pool session starting next weeked. It will be interesting! (and the doc might get an ear full!!!)

Then there's the question of whether to remove the plate or not... for later that is.

Sparky

11/29/13 5:33 PM

An adhesion can really be painful.

My Dad got sprayed with a machine gun in the lower legs by a German soldier in WWII. [He also, a few days before that, was shot across the chest and arms.]

As to the shins, the adhesion situation was extreme and I recall often things that he did would hurt him to the extreme if it stretched the tissues/skin over his lower legs. I recall him pushing a shovel into the dirt with his foot while digging a bad situation for him. But he refused to ever yield to it.

Some history worth a mention as I recall him talking about it:
Chest shots, he told me he heard/saw the guy to his side swinging the rifle while firing and spun away to the right and caught bullets through the arm and pectorals etc, with no chest cavity incursion. This was what we would call friendly fire today, a fellow soldier snapped according to what he told me. The healed arm and chest muscles where not pretty. A close call apparently, some luck there I guess. Lucky for me and my sibs too, as we exist now. ;)

BTW, he said was in a field hospital from the first injury when the second one occurred. He must have been both blessed and had the worst luck for being in the wrong place at the wrong time for those few days. ;)

dan emery

11/29/13 5:51 PM

@ April

No prob, I'm used to being ignored...:). Sorry to hear the pain remains, but you gotta do the PT. I'm getting the hang of my knee PT, got most of the pain out with better technique.

Is kayak pool session PT or kayak training? Either way, I don't envy the doc....

Good luck, hope you're able to do some downhill (or at least XC) sliding this year.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

11/29/13 6:08 PM

April...

Ask your doctor's office to put the MRI on a DVD and send it to you. Linda got a couple of hers this way.

Reply to topic    

April

11/29/13 7:55 PM

MRI image: I'm going to do that at some point. But I probably don't know how to read it. More for future reference, especially if I ever need a second opinion, or hardware removal

(I had my spine MRI'ed pre-op, the neurologist said I have a disc slightly out of position, but I couldn't tell the difference even when he's pointing at it)

PT is consist of mostly the therapist "manipulating" to break up the scar tissue, and my doing light (non-weight bearing or light weight) movement to help it along. Relatively little "exercise" I can do because the scar tissue is blocking the natural movement of the arm and causing pain in other, non-injury involved tendon/ligament, which is no good.

The manipulation is the most painful part. Pain at rest has decreased lately but movement is still restrictive or difficult. The worry, from I heard others exeprience, is new injury on other tissue due to the restriction on the natural movement of the shoulder. I can actually feel the stress on those tendons. MRI indicate no tear, at least not from the accident. But I can see tearing them out by doing PT while it hurts.

quote:
Is kayak pool session PT or kayak training?

I teach beginner kayak (in a pool). Session starts next weekend. (there was one for November but I wasn't in the mood to try that -- also was still busy riding then)

Now that riding is no longer appealing (brrrrr!), that's when I do my part in community service. Also gives me a chance to do some "real" work with my arms. Surprisingly, being a right-handed person living in a right-hand-dominant world, I really don't get a whole lot of exercise on my left arm/shoulder in normal daily living! So something that stresses the arm that I can do, for more than 5x10 rep without boring me to death, will be helpful.

quote:
Either way, I don't envy the doc....

There's another woman from my club who broke her collarbone around the same time. She got surgery right away and was back on the bike in 6 weeks. Little pain and no discomfort. Also a less visible scar.

Oh yea, she's 10 years older than me. And a 3 piece break instead of a single break in my case!

So no envying the doc because I expect better than the current result!

Sparky

11/29/13 8:31 PM

"PT is consist of mostly the therapist "manipulating" to break up the scar tissue,"

Seems like that could mean break the adhesion? That has got to be uncomfortable! Makes me realize how my recovery in 2000 may well have been very lucky.
I do not recall much pain after the first 3 weeks, but mainly the first 2. The 2006 Tib/Fib OTOH hurt for much longer!

Again April, hoping for the best for ya!

dan emery

11/30/13 9:11 AM

Riding unappealing?

>>Now that riding is no longer appealing (brrrrr!)<<

Au contraire, riding is great now. Rode into the office today at 16F, bracing! I must say those Wolvhammer boots I got are fantastic for really cold commuting - feet toasty. Probably should put the studded Hakkas on this weekend.

As to MRIs, I'm sure some images are more straightforward than others, but when I've seen doctors scroll through them I certainly don't see what they see.

You want some work with your arms, XC skiing will take care of that...:)

Reply to topic    

April

11/30/13 9:43 AM

"You want some work with your arms, XC skiing will take care of that...:)"

Need snow for that!

Kayaking in a pool will do for now.

KerryIrons

11/30/13 7:50 PM

Heat helps

Heat (heating pad, hot packs) helps a lot when you are trying to break through a stiff joint's pain. After a couple of elbow surgeries I could barely bend my arm. I would sit on the couch watching TV with a heating pad on my arm and just apply steady pressure to push the elbow through its movement range. I think it make the movement a lot less painful and speeded healing at the same time.

Reply to topic    

April

11/30/13 8:54 PM

Kerry, I don't think my situation is the same as yours. The joint itself wasn't injured and isn't in any way "frozen" in my case.

It's the restiction of the muscle around the clavicle surgery site that's hindering the shoulder movement. Shoulder being a different joint than elbow or knee -- it's NOT a ball and socket joint -- the muscle and tendon, rather than the bone, provides the support (a.k.a. forming a soft tissue "socket"). So in additionn to the pain at the surgery site (there's some but only half of the problem), the surrounding muscle is also taking an increased stress due to the un-natural movement caused by the restriction at the surgical area. Half of the pain was in the non-injured muscle groups during weight bearing exercise. (hence the MRI order, which thankfully shows no injury)

"Pushing through" would simply stress the healthy muscle even more, without really helping the break up of the scar tissue. Analogy would be if your right hand is injured, your PT calls for lift heavy weight in the gym with both hands, your weaker left hand try to take up the slack only to sprain that too! That really doesn't help the overall healing process.

Heat (and ice) helps a bit in the comfort level, and probably increase blood flow & healing (and decrease inflammation, in the case of ice) a little. But doesn't do much in helping the result of the PT. I had tried both with heat and without. Didn't notice any difference in result.

(In a sensse, I guess I'm already past that stage you described. Though in truth, I never was in that stage during my recovery)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -