HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Would you drill a fork?

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

9/30/13 3:05 PM

Would you drill a fork?

I building up a touring bike with cantis and want to use a fork mounted cable stop. The hole in the fork is too small for a receesed brake nut on the back side. The bolt goes in OK, but the nut is too large for the hole. I rigged up a smaller, longer, thinner bolt that goes all the way through, but its pretty flexy.

The fork is a heavy steel unicrown, and I'm thinking about enlarging the hole on the back side. Thoughts?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

9/30/13 3:22 PM

I've done it several times and there is no problem. The OD of typical recessed brake nuts in 8 mm and a 5/16" drill bit works to enlarge the hole properly.

For caliper brake mounting I always warn the owner to drill the BACK of the fork crown only.

No worries and it's a common way to adapt older nutted caliper brake forks to newer recessed brakes.

Sparky

9/30/13 3:38 PM

Steel for sure. Even alum crown carbon...

From my stupid phone...

dfcas

10/1/13 11:40 AM

Thanks for the tip Dave B. I drilled it in steps up to 5/16 and it worked fine, much more solid now.

Dave B

10/1/13 5:06 PM

Glad it worked out. It's really a pretty straight forward modification and an easy way to "modernize" an older fork.

The real trick is drilling out a rear brake bridge to accept recessed nut brakes since you don't have room to fit a drill motor and bit between the front of the bridge and the seat tube and you do NOT want to drill out both sided of the bridge. I've done this by clamping a short 5/16" bit sideways in a Vise-Grip and turning it a fraction of a turn at a time. It's a bit slow but it does work.

JohnC

10/2/13 9:06 AM

If you have to do that brake-bridge thing more than once, an inexpensive right-angle adapter for the drill is probably a good investment.

Dave B

10/2/13 10:22 AM

quote:
If you have to do that brake-bridge thing more than once, an inexpensive right-angle adapter for the drill is probably a good investment.

Yes, but the adapter has to be small and you must use a very short bit. The space behind the seat tube is very limited and the gaps on the bikes I measured vary from 3-1/4 to 4".

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -