Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Fred Man Walking

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

9/26/13 7:09 AM

Fred Man Walking

I was looking good on the bike yesterday - NOT

Riding home from work, I have a flat just minutes from my house. I have all the stuff to fix it, but being lazy, I decide to walk it home rather than fix it on the side of the road. First I walk by the house of a woman I know slightly who used to be quite a good racer. Her dogs run out, so she comes after them "are you OK? Can I help? We have tubes." I explain I'm fine, I could fix it but easier to walk home, but I know she's thinking "what a helpless old dweeb."

Then, even worse, a mom in her minivan stops "Does someone need a rescue?"

Oh the Humanity!

Reply to topic    

April

9/26/13 7:37 AM

quote:
I have a flat just minutes from my house

"minutes" of riding or minutes of walking? ;-)

Sounds like the former to me. :D

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

9/26/13 7:40 AM

Sounds like a nice place to live...

Reply to topic    

DPotter

9/26/13 9:44 AM

That is funny

Years ago I stopped on a ride to take a break. It probably seemed like an odd place to be resting. A couple of women in a minivan stopped and asked with obvious concern is I was alright. I guess the sight of a fat old dude leaning on a guardrail next to his bike looked like cardiac city to them.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

9/26/13 10:40 AM

If women would talk to me I'd let the air out of my tires everyday.

Smunderdog

9/26/13 11:19 AM

I did the same once....commuting home on our rail/trail and was 2 miles from home. Flatted and decided it would be quicker to run home pushing the bike...in my Sidi Mtn bike shoes.

Stayed off the paved part of the trail and on the crushed lime surface, but still gave myself a self diagnosed stress something in my ankle that took months and months to heal. Should have just slowed down and walked. :)

I did get a few offers to help from other riders...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/26/13 11:51 AM

Stud, you had them gals dropping eggs [as Judy Tenuta would say]

KerryIrons

9/26/13 6:55 PM

Close to home

When our kids were young and we forced them to ride on the backs of our tandems, we once got a flat about two blocks from home. I fixed it there rather than walk in bike shoes and ruin the cleats. My older daughter was probably never more embarrassed in her life at the prospect that one of her friends might see her standing at the side of the street while her dorky old dad fixed a flat.

Fortunately, with time (15+ years) I have become somewhat smarter and a little less dorky.

Reply to topic    

mag7

9/27/13 12:54 PM

I was telling a friend last night (safely out of Marci's hearing range) that I have discovered the ultimate pick up method. Get a Burley "tail wagon" dog hauler hook it up to your favorite go slow towing bike, go to the best multi use trail nearby, and ride slowly. You MUST however have cute dog(s), you can be ugly, but the dogs are key to your success! My choice are two Lakeland Terriers - King Max and Queen Rita Royale.....now, after so many sightings, we have a growing fan club and the more and more of our lady friends start pointing and waving as we approach....I pretend it is for me but alas, I know it is all about the royal couple. ;-)

dan emery

9/27/13 1:35 PM

Why Mag...

You dog, you.

I have 2 Dalmatians, who are beautiful but barely civilized. I couldn't take them in a cart without restraint.

The 5 year old male, Remy, is super friendly but a small horse (75 lbs of muscle) who loves to jump on people. The 12 year old female, Kit Kat, is much smaller but an evil genius. She learned to slither under the welded wire fence we had, so I eventually put up a 5' cedar picket fence enclosing 1 1/2 acre (don't even ask what that cost). That contained her for about a year, but she recently got out again. I followed her around and determined that the little weasel escaped by crawling through a culvert that runs from our pond, under the fence and into the woods. Culvert blocked, and the game goes on.

I walk them twice a day, and the most frequent comment is "they're beautiful."

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

9/27/13 4:07 PM

who walks who???

nm

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -