HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Crater Lake a wash...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/23/13 10:50 AM

Crater Lake a wash...

Forecast for partly sunny and almost 60^... Well the MTNs had a different idea. Mid 30s and sleeting and raining. Viability about 150-200' at best, less at times.
The minimum distance of 504' from the rim to the lake, well do the math. There may be a lake there, but we did not get to see it. The Tandem did not make it out of the car unfortunately, or fortunately depending on ones view. ;)

Last hour plus below the MTN weather was some nice terrain and views that where just beautiful. We shopped and ate, sat by a huge fireplace reading @ the Rim Lodge, and set back for home.

At the bottom of the MTN on the return, we saw the most vivid rainbow with the deepest colors I have ever seen in my life. It went from horizon to horizon as well, unreal almost. Then back under clouds and rain for most of the trip home...

All in all, Elaine especially enjoyed the day relaxing and reading, shopping a little... ;)

Me, I'd wanted rubber down. ;) And to see the lake would have been nice.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

9/23/13 3:04 PM

You'll get there another time. It's a pretty surreal sight under a clear sky.

KerryIrons

9/23/13 6:51 PM

Foggy

We've visited Crater Lake twice. Our first trip was mid-June and just about the conditions you describe (a little warmer, no sleet, but pea soup fog). The snow banks along the north rim road were over 6 feet high and needless to say you could only go a little way east before the road was blocked with snow. We actually did get to see the lake "when the clouds parted" for a few minutes. The drive down on the west side of the lake was white-knuckle because the fog was so thick you couldn't see oncoming car headlights until the last minute.

Our second visit was in July on a beautiful sunny day and we had gorgeous lake views. Road was still closed with snow so we never did get to try the ride around the lake.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/23/13 8:08 PM

The drop off on both side of the roadway are.... Well, let me put it this way: you go off/over, your are done, done and done! And at the edge of the pavement is down in most places, right at the edge. No guard rail, no stones, curb, nada nothing...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -