HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Phriday Phun

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

9/20/13 5:56 AM

Phriday Phun

Just a little humor from my morning commute. Perhaps some others have had a similar experience.

Rolling my rando bike out of the garage, I notice one front fender stay is out of its bracket, and projecting sideways. This could cause all sorts of mischief, particularly as I ride over some woods trails, so I endeavor to fix it. The hardware is there, apparently it just loosened enough for the stay to pop out (I heard a metallic noise riding home yesterday, but didn't notice the fender).

So instead of loosening everything up and readjusting the fender, I take the little bracket out of the dropout fitting, loosen it up, reinsert the stay, and proceed to try to screw it back into the fitting. I guess I loosen my grip a little, and SPPRONGGG, the stay (which I didn't realize is like a fully loaded howitzer) launches the allen bolt and washers to who knows where (I'm outside in my gravel driveway). I look for awhile, but I don't have the time right now. Fortunately the bracket is still on the stay, and I rummage around my shop and find another bolt that works.

Note to self: Next time be cognizant of the awesome projective properties of a fully loaded Berthoud fender stay.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

9/20/13 6:34 AM

Good thing you had a ride ahead of you, to de-stress. pun not intended

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

9/20/13 7:34 AM

Murphy strikes again. If you had been in an enclosed area where the bolt was easily found, this never would have happened!

Matthew Currie

9/20/13 7:47 AM

A while ago I was bleeding the brakes on my mountain bike (one of those Shimano rigs that requires a little plastic bowl in place of a plug). All goes well until I'm putting the plug back in, whereupon it falls off the allen wrench. It's a little thing, falls to the floor among the debris, and vanishes utterly. I spent a long time looking, it was getting late, flashlight and sifting, noting. I found it the next day after having made a new plug.

The next day, I was in the same area, putting a different nozzle on my pressure washer. I dropped it (I do this a lot these days) and once again it vanished utterly. Now this thing was bigger, and bright red. Could I find it? Not a chance. More sifting. I finally looked at the wall, and it had lodged in a shelf bracket, never hit the floor at all.

Reply to topic    

PLee

9/20/13 10:01 AM

Nowadays, I don't have to drop anything to lose it. Once (and I swear it only happened once), I was looking for my small garage door opener for a while before I realized that I was holding it in my hand . . .

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

9/20/13 4:50 PM

seatpost binder

This happened twice.

I was tightening up the seat post binder on an old Bianchi and went one turn beyond. The other side took off like a bullet. Fortunately, nobody was standing in front of it! Now you know why my spouse hates it when I close bottles and jars.

Sparky

9/20/13 4:55 PM

" Now you know why my spouse hates it when I close bottles and jars."

You know what they say, you can be a little heavy for light work. They also say you can be a little to light for heavy work. I am both...

April

9/20/13 5:43 PM

Now I feel better...

quote:
Nowadays, I don't have to drop anything to lose it. Once (and I swear it only happened once), I was looking for my small garage door opener for a while before I realized that I was holding it in my hand . . .

Yep!

Except I know it happened to me more than once. And I'm quite a bit younger than you...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -