HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Colorado, smokes

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/18/13 10:52 AM

Colorado, smokes

Wait, that was last year. Worst Wildfire year 2012, worst rain/flood year 2013. Talk about a double whammy. Remembering my re-con to Denver and Colorado Springs 2006. Wanted to get up to Fort Collin but that did not happen.

Feeling glad we choice PDX over CO. these days.
But of course a volcano event could change all that. ;)

But at least weather wise it has bee a lot more level than a lot, most? of the country since we got here.

Thoughts and prayers to the almost neighbor effected in CO.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

9/18/13 1:02 PM

maybe you're due :)

Different ways of thinking...

I guess one could say that CO has had its share of natural disasters and perhaps they're not due for another one for about 50 years. But Oregon, maybe now it's your turn - watch that volcano carefully :)

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

9/18/13 6:21 PM

"The next one should be low and away...... but watch out for in your ear".

Bottom line is the fires, that otherwise and 50 years ago, might have not really affected anybody, did due to building in area's that maybe should have not have seen homes built into. Ditto pretty much about 100,000 homes all up and down the NJ coastal area's as well as pretty much the entire south shore of Long Island, and lets not talk about New Orleans, Florida, etc...... that all will now see repeated damage from hurricanes.

Global Warming may well be one of the reasons for increased moisture hitting the front range, and it'll only get worse. I just read 21 inches in Boulder during that week.

Reply to topic    

mag7

9/18/13 8:17 PM

Valid points....also wish the people who find themselves in harms way get the hell out when they are warned.
The number of folks who "ride out the storm" and end up floating out to sea seal their own fate.
For those who don't go floaty, they end up putting first responders in harms way and you and I pay for their poor judgement.
At least this year's hurricane season has been lackluster, so far.
Katrina verified within 50 miles at landfall from its prediction three days earlier....yet thousands ignored the repeated warnings, the mandatory evacuations, and they got slammed only to bitch about the ineffectiveness of government response.
It is "government" that was handing out the warnings for 72+ hours 24/7.
These "storm stayers" or the CO homeowners holding their garden hoses to fight back the approaching wall of flames only to be airlifted, they all should have their wages garnished until the cost of rescue is paid back plus interest.

Steve B.

9/19/13 6:12 AM

"At least this year's hurricane season has been lackluster, so far. "

Recall that Sandy hit on 10/29. That was far later in the season then had been typical of tropical storms, but with the oceans warming, even just a little bit, there's more energy in that warm water to sustain these storms. Sandy was an odd occurrence of weather events though, 2 blocking high's that steered the hurricane in an odd path, which in turn allowed a wall of water to be pushed right onto Long Island and NYC, combined with a full moon and at a high tide. Some of those factors are not related to Global Warming, just bad timing. But as a Long Islander, I believe that GW has changed the timetable and that we are in the middle of the hurricane season right now, in mid September, not towards the end.

There seems to be no question that GW has increased the ocean temperatures, which in turn is affecting the severity of what once were simple weather events of rain or snow, with more of both when you get them.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/20/13 4:12 AM

The oceans are warming as much as predicted. In fact the arctic ice shelf was damn near a record last season.

More to come. Last winter here was very warm and the summer very cool. It is odd.

daddy-o

9/20/13 5:33 AM

But are human acts responsible?

(or irresponsible!)

April

9/20/13 8:35 AM

quote:
But are human acts responsible?

Or rather, are human acts significant?

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -