HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The old guy's still got it - Spoiler alert
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PLee

9/13/13 12:17 PM

The old man DEFINITELY still has it!!! Hope he can hang on up the Angliru.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

9/13/13 2:58 PM

-3 to +3. Just a bit more!!!

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

9/13/13 3:24 PM

live links?

Are people using http://www.steephill.tv/vuelta-a-espana/#live to find live broadcasts on the internet?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

sandiway

9/13/13 4:34 PM

Horner climbs faster than Contador?

quote:
Horner's estimated VAM of 2034 apparently beats those set by Contador (1926) and Rodriguez (1903) on the Cuitu Negru climb on stage 14 of last year's Vuelta. Roberto Heras set a figure of 1900 in 2002.

See http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gazzetta-dello-sport-scrutinizes-horners-power-data-at-the-vuelta

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/13/13 4:46 PM

Is Horner's weight really that low??

daddy-o

9/13/13 5:28 PM

The article mentioned a tail wind this year, for historical context.

At first I thought :25 seconds on a 16:30+- climb was insignificant, but it's 2.5%.

It's great he took the lead on a cat 2 climb.

Brian Nystrom

9/14/13 9:48 AM

YES, YES, YESSSSSSS!!!

Unfreakinbelievable! Chapeu Chris!

Reply to topic    

cyclotourist

9/14/13 10:01 AM

wow

That was stressful to watch. Very inspiring for this 43 YO bald guy to see Horner's incredible performance!

David

Reply to topic    

Dave B

9/14/13 10:40 AM

quote:
That was stressful to watch. Very inspiring for this 43 YO bald guy...

Yes it was and he's "only" 41 but nearly 42.

henoch

9/14/13 10:41 AM

Man today was Epic, and not juts talking about Horner, the whole scene with the fog, the TV losing the red jersey for a K or so, the Stage winner having to radio his team car if anyone was behind him.... and of course the Nibali/Horner battle wow, truly an epic stage.
For a while there it did look like Nibali would actually take it...

Reply to topic    

ErikS

9/14/13 11:21 AM

Damn!!!

I just hope he does not go down in history as America's third dumbest bike racer ever!!

His ride has been impressive to say the least!!!

Sparky

9/14/13 11:43 AM

"go down in history as America's third dumbest bike racer ever!!"

?? and who are 1-2 ?

ErikS

9/14/13 12:50 PM

Make that call for yourself.

Wayne

9/14/13 1:36 PM

It's been a brilliant Vuelta, capped by a brilliant stage today.

It's going to be interesting to see if this one lasts. Supposedly only guy who has had a better power to weight ratio up the Angliru is Heras. And this from a guy who's real old, never been in contention for a GT podium much less winning one, and has been getting stronger as the race has gone on.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

9/14/13 3:41 PM

quote:
And this from a guy who's real old, never been in contention for a GT podium....

Until the last couple of years, Horner has always been in the role of a domestique for more famous or more "capable" riders. This is one of the few times he's been able to ride as a team leader.

Wayne

9/14/13 4:28 PM

quote:
Until the last couple of years, Horner has always been in the role of a domestique for more famous or more "capable" riders. This is one of the few times he's been able to ride as a team leader.

Like when Froome was riding for Wiggins? In 20 years of riding this cream has never risen to the top, and now at an exceptionally old age it has?

If you don't think this ride is exceedingly suspicious well I don't know what to say. Doesn't mean he's doping, but I don't think anyone should be the least bit surprised if he gets popped.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

9/14/13 5:32 PM

We have to hope is smarter and won this thing clean.

One point, he has come to this race basically like the other showed up for the TDF and Giro. Fresh with singular training goals.

One other thing, his power data has been public knowledge and all over the net for many years. He is also much thinner than I ever remember him before. He also had a crap TT.

sandiway

9/14/13 5:33 PM

His recovery is suspicious

Old guys are supposed to take considerably longer to recover from hard efforts, as we all know, Horner seems to be as good with recovery as highly doped guys in their 20s and early 30s. And he never showed this kind of ability before despite a very long career...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

9/14/13 9:54 PM

Horner was slugging it out with the best (inc. Nibali and Rodriguez) when he took 2nd at Tirreno-Adriatico in 2012. To see him climbing with the best is not a surprise. His age might count against him, but then again he was miles fresher than the other GC contenders. Proving again how difficult it is to do a Grand Tour double.

Reply to topic    

mag7

9/14/13 10:36 PM

Given the widespread doubt, or should I say certainty, that so many people have about Horner's "obvious" cheating or today's pro peloton's doping in general, why they follow the sport much for even a second is a mystery.
Alas, it was a epic stage with the climbs, the competitors, the fog, the fans, and even the coverage lapse (at least on steephill.tv) peaked the drama.
The waiting, wondering, of which rider would emerge from the blackout, who would be in front and where were the other riders....absolutely thrilling action all the way to the finish.

Wayne

9/15/13 7:41 AM

If they dope or not doesn't matter to me, I love the spectacle. The vast majority of my favorite riders over the years are known dopers, didn't diminish my experience watching them in the least. It's just another part of the equation.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/15/13 9:19 AM

Agreed

The immediate excitement is not diminished at all. I choose to assume that people are clean until proven otherwise and I have no qualms at all about Hormer. The disappointment afterward is merely that, disappointment.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/15/13 10:26 AM

I have myself convinced the 'new' PED regimes are both fully in place and at least for now not detectable.

When they figure out what to go back and test for, the feces will be hitting the rotary oscillator I suspect.

sandiway

9/15/13 10:31 AM

Makes no sense

It makes no sense that a 41 year old wins a Grand tour (20 stage race). All physiological signs are on the decline. You don't late peak in cycling to that extent...

But it is a cool victory. And he goes into the history books as the oldest and only 40+ winner ever of any Grand Tour.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Tom Phillips

9/15/13 10:45 AM

Late peaking

Sanidiway, I've been riding seriously for 25 years. All of my local climbing PRs, every one of them, I set between age 41 and 44. Recovery is about the same as it ever was, as far as I can tell.

Maybe he's doped, but the dude has been a monster his entire career, just as a domestique for the most part, for a variety of reasons. He's been on the cusp several times, seems he would always crash out.

I had a lot of fun watching it, hope he's clean. A former team staffer from the Webcor days chimed in a FB discussion on this. Claimed that not only was Chris clean, but a total class act. We'll see.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -