HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT: Political purlers

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

8/13/13 1:27 AM

OT: Political purlers

One of the best blunders I've ever heard from a politician. We have a federal election here in about three weeks, and Tony Abbott, the leader of the Liberal Party and on present polling our most likely next Prime Minister, came out with this marvellous malapropism in a speech yesterday: ''no one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced . . . is the suppository of all wisdom''.

It's rather reminiscent of his comment after the previous election, when neither major party had an absolute majority, and while negotiating with independents for their support to form a minority government, he was reputed to have said that he would do anything to win government except sell his arse...

p.s. I should add that Abbott is actually a reasonable cyclist - and he's been cycling for a long time - I can remember meeting him on a large touring ride about 25 years ago. He regularly gets out on the bike before 5am to fit a training ride in before the day starts, he goes on a ten day or so long bike tour every year, and he completed a Ironman distance triathlon a couple of years ago.

Give him half a chance and he'll turn into Australia's version of Vladimir Putin, in more ways than one...

Last edited by Nick Payne on 8/13/13 11:09 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

JohnC

8/13/13 9:24 AM

John Oliver (subbing for Jon Stewart on the Daily Show) had a long and hilarious piece last night on your 4-week campaign, which he said compresses all the craziness of our years-long madness into a more manageable space. I don't think he mentioned the suppository comment (which has made the news here already).

But he did show the interview with the candidate whose party has a 6-point plan to end boat immigration. When asked to set out the 6 points, he said the first one was "stop the boats," and couldn't remember the others. He actually outdid Rick Perry. There was also a woman candidate who seems to think Islam is a country, and that Jews are followers of Jesus.

Sounds entertaining.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Evan Marks

8/13/13 10:21 AM

pharmacy phunnies

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -