CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Will I actually CX this time/year? Some advice please.
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

8/6/13 6:11 PM

Will I actually CX this time/year? Some advice please.

I got my local CX license last two years, but there was no way I was ready or had a bike I was willing to damage and make worth a lot less. I am going to do it this time/year. Good progress this year, no excuse there. Weight and shape best in 10+ years.

Now that I traded off that $alsa and need something, decided not to wait to long until the used pickin get sparse.

Anyway, grabbed this frame/fork/headset Giant TCX with some battle scars for $150.00. Started grabbing parts and bolting on when I got home. I intend to totally not polish this and grind it into the ground.

Is there any reason V-Brake [with cable pull pulley] is a bad idea? I have the pulleys and the XT V-brakes off the $alsa [traded as Single speed, with no wheels]
As well as the CX tires and assorted bits.

Or are Canti's the thing still? Otherwise I can get it rolling tonight.

9 speed Ultegra STIs & DRs, XT 110 crankset I got locally for 30.00 like new, square taper [remember those] The wheels that came with Elaine's 260.00 Madone 4.5 [;)] with paired spoke/bladed going on, or do I want to use some Open Pro with 32 spoke wheels I also have laying about?

Last edited by Sparky on 8/6/13 6:21 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

8/6/13 6:16 PM

It is going nowhere fast and not gonna stop when it gets there.

dfcas

8/6/13 6:21 PM

The problem with Vbrakes is the pulley is sensitive to mud, and you still must set the pads close to the rim, causing mud clearance problems. I vote you get a cheap set of cantis.

I wish I had the fitness to still do cross, but its just too hard for me these days.

Did you offload the too small Poprad?

Sparky

8/6/13 6:23 PM

"Did you offload the too small Poprad?"

I did trade that off...

There was a 59 I came across, but I could not get him to take at least some goods in barter. And I need to stop spending until I move some stuff. ;) So I compromised and only spent a little...

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

8/6/13 7:47 PM

Cross

quote:
I wish I had the fitness to still do cross, but its just too hard for me these days.

I don't have the fitness either since my accident but I am planning on doing cross none the less...I am sure this years results will be commenting on my age:

Rick Hardy OLD........ one lap down :)

Did my first bit of intensity today since the accident to try to prepare for cross....intervals in the grass then my favorite local climb:

The reward after the climb - a beautiful New England day

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/6/13 8:05 PM

Rick, how are ya feeling. And is your body co-operating? I hope....

EDIT: going to grab some used Tektro CR720 cantis in a little bit.

Later: I forgot how fun Cantis are to install and set up.

Brian Nystrom

8/7/13 5:28 AM

There must be something in the air...

...because I took my 'cross bike out for the first time in a while yesterday evening. With a decent number of road miles in my legs, I was able to "outpace my skills" pretty easily. Combined with long shadows and sun-dappling hiding some of the bony bits, it made for an interesting ride, though I did manage to keep the rubber side down.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

8/7/13 5:43 AM

Not seeing any cable stops for canti's.

Front can be added to the stem, but rear ?

SB

Reply to topic    

Dave B

8/7/13 7:12 AM

quote:
Not seeing any cable stops for canti's. Front can be added to the stem, but rear ?

Surly makes a rear cable stop that goes over the seatpost clamp bolt and even has an adjuster barrel. I had one on a Cross Check and it worked very well.

http://surlybikes.com/parts/small_parts/cable_hanger

As for a front stop, consider one that bolts to the fork crown through the otherwise unused caliper/fender mounting hole. That will eliminate the brake chatter that often is a serious problem when the stop is up at the stem on a carbon fork. Here is one version:

http://www.amazon.com/Tektro-Front-Cable-Hanger-Black/dp/B006GHDRYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375881486&sr=8-1&keywords=cantilever+brake+cable+hangers

Sparky

8/7/13 10:48 AM

Not pretty, but some bits and a V brake noodle for a temp rear mechanism on my Bridgestone for a few years now. I stole the bars/shifetrs for the CX which is why no cable is there. it is getting Bar Cons.

dfcas

8/7/13 11:37 AM

If you get canti brakes that use the new style (v brake style) pads thast use a conical washer they are very easy to set up. I no longer use the old style cantis that cause drinking problems.

Sparky

8/7/13 12:10 PM

"If you get canti brakes that use the new style (v brake style) pads thast use a conical washer they are very easy to set up"

I got and started to install the Tektro CR720 cantis last night.

They look like road pad inserts like the ones I use on DA and Ultegra 9-10s calipers. And i have one last set of koolStop Salmons too.

Boy, they stick out, great for leverage, but I can see how the touring set would hate that on a few levels.

dan emery

8/7/13 1:23 PM

canti setup and adjustment

I find this a mysterious, black art, but I am always able eventually to get them working well, probably through a combination of trial and error and dumb luck.

Not so with my freakin' shriekin' hydraulic disks (which I hate).

Reply to topic    

Anthony Smith

8/7/13 2:33 PM

cross bike

I have the same bike, but in older paint package. The V brakes with the little roller thing work fine, in fact much better than the canti's. I use a single 41 ring up front with a chainguide on both the inside and outside--No need for a big ring, 41x14 gets me there plenty quick when the hammer goes down. 14-25 10s rear .

Make sure you reverse your brakes--right is front, left is rear and this is essential for controlled dismounts.

Ride well

PS on my old cross bike I drilled the seatpost and stem and used them for the cable stops for the canti's. Never had any problem with this--much stiffer than hangers.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

8/7/13 3:11 PM

Thanks Dave

Them is some nifty parts, I'm saving those links

SB

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/8/13 12:36 AM

hey 'Anthony Smith'

Anthony, I was cabling up the TCX earlier, and the usual Shimano 12" last cable housing loop back by the derailleur looks like a problem. The cable runs down the seat stay instead of a road bike along the chains stay, thus the stop angle tweeks the cable. I made it shorter, but it seems like it wants to be even shorter than the 10-1/2" I went with.

How long is that last loop on your TCX?

Thanks

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

8/8/13 5:32 AM

Brian

I had the same issue on my ride trying to work in a little speed in the woods. With he sun /shade couldn't see / anticipate what was coming. How is Linda? Hope she is recovered. Is she getting the cross fever too?

Reply to topic    

walter

8/8/13 11:11 AM

sparky, be careful

with your back problems.

'cross features lots of spinal torquing at weird angles with sudden shocks/hits that can play havoc on your spinal/disc/sciatic subsystems. gets worse as you tire and lose motor coordination during an event.

go forth with caution.

Sparky

8/8/13 12:01 PM

"with your back problems. "

My back is cool, it was collateral crap on the bike going on with position and the pinched Femoral nerve.
lower saddle and higher bars.
I had my bars way high so I could ride, but all lower again. And I have given up on the 4" drop to the bar. Old habit die hard. Although, as the miles are getting on I am feeling like they are too high again @ 2-1/2 lower than saddle. I bet if I get into the thousands on miles this will be an eventuality..

Probably keep the bars there for the CX, which I will be getting rolling after I get back form a ride here in a bit.

I'd agree, hard off road riding requires a solid core.

Anthony Smith

8/8/13 3:36 PM

casing lenght

Never gave the casing length a thought, I have rolls of it and just cut it to fit. Upon measuring it though, I have a 12.25" piece of casing from the stop on the right seatstay to the rear changer which is a Token/Microshift, and which should be the same distance as a Shimano unit.

Reply to topic    

bboston75

8/8/13 3:56 PM

My Crosscheck (bought used but seems stock) has a very simple cable hangar suspended from the seat post clamp bolt. I think the Atala I had 35 years ago had the same arrangement for its center pulls.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

8/8/13 4:40 PM

cool

I bought an Atala 38 years ago. Record Professional, Nuovo Record. Upgrade from my PX-10. I could afford it because I worked part time at EMS and this was the best bike they had so I applied my employee discount. Beautiful pearl white paint job. 531 frame and Columbus fork (or maybe vice versa). Sweet!

Reply to topic    

Dave B

8/8/13 6:28 PM

quote:
My Crosscheck (bought used but seems stock) has a very simple cable hangar suspended from the seat post clamp bolt.

That's the same Surly hanger I mentioned above. They come stock with every Cross Check, LRT and other Surly frames that can take canti brakes. They are also available as an aftermarket part.

Sparky

8/8/13 7:20 PM

The giant hanger is built into the seat clamp.

Origin 8 makes a lot of decent bits as well.

This type works if there is space...

Brian Nystrom

8/9/13 5:31 AM

Just remember...

...the brass ferrule goes in from the other direction. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -