Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Good 700C road tire reccomentations?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DPotter

8/3/13 12:25 PM

Good 700C road tire reccomentations?

Clincher, long lasting, puncture resistant, recreational road riding, light rider. All suggestions appreciated.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/3/13 12:36 PM

Conti GP4 All Seasons are pretty durable for a non race weight tire that is still light, 28C also a choice. I am going for a ride with Elaine in a few with those on my Paramount.

Although I usually do not use them in summer... I think if you pushed them hard in a turn on hot pavment they would hold like a race tire FWIW.

Sidewall not the most durable I should mention, but they also ride very well. Comparative example being the Gator Variety Conti which do not ride a supple, but probably be more durable.

The Vit 25C Rubino Pro seem even more durable, but we only have scant miles on the set. Got them for $22.00 each on sale PBK.COM. Considerably cheaper then the Contis, and aan obvious sidewall meat difference. But IMO they do not hold a line as well if you push through a turn as the Contis.
Something to be said for German made perhaps, but you pay for it.

my 16 cents, inflation...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

lrzipris

8/3/13 12:52 PM

I like Conti Ultra GatorSkins (25s), which I run on my rain/beater/winter bike, a Surly CrossCheck, which I also use on some recreational club rides. They seem to handle well enough.

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

8/3/13 1:49 PM

Ditto Sparky's comments

I've been thru a few pair of the 23mm GP 4 Seasons and so far have 2 years use on a set with no flats. If they weren't so friggin expensive, I'd buy the 28's as my commuter tire. Last time I purchased it was mail order at $35 a tire and got 4 tires. They list now at $75.

Also echo'ing Sparky, the Rubino Pro are durable and less expensive, though don't last as long.

Reply to topic    

Nick Payne

8/3/13 4:07 PM

I'll echo the Conti GP 4 Seasons recommendation as well. I use the 28mm (26mm in reality) on my Litespeed, and my wife uses them on her De Rosa, and we must have worn at least half a dozen of them out so far without getting a single puncture.

If you want to buy them cheap, I'd suggest Wiggle in the UK. I just purchased two of the 28s complete with tubes for $AU93 including shipping to Australia. That's a bit over $US40 for each tyre and tube: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4-season-fold-road-tyre-2-and-tubes/

Reply to topic    

Dave B

8/3/13 5:28 PM

quote:
The Vit 25C Rubino Pro seem even more durable, but we only have scant miles on the set.

I've been using them in 23c for several years. Weight is about 220 grams. They have been very flat resistant and I get 3500 - 4000 miles on a rear tire.

Evan Marks

8/3/13 8:49 PM

Yup, GP4-Season

I like 25s on 23mm rims, and they corner well enough to strike a pedal (why was I going that fast? yikes.)

Reply to topic    

April

8/3/13 9:09 PM

quote:
we must have worn at least half a dozen of them out so far without getting a single puncture.

How does one determin the tires are "worn out"? I've been wondering about mine...

Sparky

8/3/13 9:22 PM

I hate to type it out loud. I have not punctured a GP4 All Season yet, I do have two sets. One set with a lot more miles on them. But I have ridden that set in and out of Portland dodging all manor of crap on some shitty shoulders. And you can't dodge every mine in a mine field.

I agree the 28C is a 26, on a open Pro, on an A23 or my 7801-SL Dura Ace wheels [also wider rims] they sit exactly @ 28mm. But so do the 25C Conti 4KS

I think I paid $45.00 ish for the 28c GP4AllSeas @ PBK.COM last ones.

Nick Payne

8/4/13 2:14 AM

quote:
How does one determin the tires are "worn out"? I've been wondering about mine...

I figure replacement is due when you can start to see the fabric of the casing coming through the centre of the tread. At which point, I discard the rear (it's always the rear, I can't ever remember wearing out a front tyre), move the tyre that was on the front to the rear, and fit a new tyre on the front.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

8/4/13 6:06 AM

Me Too

quote:
I figure replacement is due when you can start to see the fabric of the casing coming through the centre of the tread. At which point, I discard the rear (it's always the rear, I can't ever remember wearing out a front tyre)....

That's how I determine it's time to replace the rear tire. As soon as any fabric shows, it's time for a new one.

Front tires do not wear through their tread in any reasonable time but they do get hardened and cut up from road debris. I use a front tire through two rear tires and then replace both at once. I tried rotating a used front tire to the rear but found it's remaining tread life was much, much shorter than a new rear tire.

DPotter

8/4/13 7:31 AM

Thanks all

Looks like a pretty strong bias towards the contis. I will check them out.

Reply to topic    

Anthony Smith

8/4/13 8:06 AM

best tires

Based on studies of rolling resistance at speed--and wear well, corner well. Vittoria Open corsa evo--23, or Veloflex Pave 22--remember to use latex tubes

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/13 9:29 AM

I started buying tire in 3s way back. My theory is that I should have less single used fronts laying around. ;)

Just a fond memory. In 1999 I bought a bunch of Clement Tourmalet Clinchers, 23s and 20s. The 20s I realized where too small and Nate wound up with them. I still have one 23 on the back of the fixie. One I destroyed on the trainer, it got lumps, and two I just wore out. Not one flatted on me, even the destroyed mutated one still held it's air. $12.00 each was the fair, rode sweet, and not too heavy and were folding. Black tread, yellow side walls.

Also, was using Supersonics on the front for a few seasons. Got a season out of each of two. tons of little hole in them, but again, not one flat.

I got the SS Conti's when in full out Weight Weenie mode. When I saw how thin they where I decided to only use them on the front and paired with a Michelin Pro deJour. Good result and less compromise than expected, especially considering the SSs where 159 grams or something..

Brian Nystrom

8/4/13 11:48 AM

What the heck, I'll add another vote for Conti's

I bought a set of GP4 All Season 28s (26) to use on my cross bike for road rides. I was impressed enough with how they felt on pavement and dirt/gravel that when I built new clincher wheels for my road bikes, I shod them with GP4000S 25mm tires. I've been very impressed with all of these. I did suffer one sidewall cut on a GP4000S, but it was apparently a fluke, as I've had no other issues. I patched it on the inside and I'm still riding it.

To get decent prices on Conti's, you need to order from overseas, as the US importer is royally screwing the American market. Wiggle, Ribble and ProBikeKit in the UK generally have good prices and very reasonable - or even free - shipping. The last time I bought GP4000S tires, it was a package deal through Wiggle with 2 tires and 5 Conti tubes for ~$90.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/13 12:07 PM

Re: Brian's comment & dirt/gravel

The All seasons I do several dirt/gravel shortcut locally I won't do with my other road tires FWIW.

Watch the sidewalls, as mention numerous time.

A note on the Specialized HD tires, forget what they call them. They are practically bullet proof, but they ride like solid rubber as compared to the supple ride of the conti's.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

8/4/13 2:17 PM

Consider World Class Cycles for stateside ordering Conti's

Of Commack NY

I think the husband and wife run this business out of their basement (sounds like it when you call).

Prices are decent and nice to deal with real people over the phone

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

8/4/13 7:04 PM

quote:
I use a front tire through two rear tires and then replace both at once. I tried rotating a used front tire to the rear but found it's remaining tread life was much, much shorter than a new rear tire.
Ditto.

Re: World Class Cycles - I like them, but in NYS, you get hit with tax PLUS shipping. You may be able to do better elsewhere.

Reply to topic    

Evan Marks

8/4/13 7:08 PM

dp

Last edited by Evan Marks on 8/5/13 9:13 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

Sparky

8/4/13 7:22 PM

probikekit.com current - Spend over $90 & Get a FREE Chain Cleaner and they ship free to US as far as I know.

Continental Grand 28mm Prix 4-Season Clincher Road Tyre

$41.09

GP4KS Chili 23mm $39.00
Gatorskin 23/25mm $36.27

And these I have not heard of: Continental Grand Prix GT Clincher, GatorSkin sidewalls with black Chili tread apparently. Interesting and $37.00

Seems I usually get a little exchange adjustment of $2-3.00 added on depending on timing and exchange rate when charged.

There are Michelin bundle deals going on as well.

http://www.probikekit.com/tyres-tubes.list

Dave B

8/5/13 6:13 AM

quote:
Seems I usually get a little exchange adjustment of $2-3.00 added on depending on timing and exchange rate when charged.

I wonder if this charge is imposed by your credit card company. I know there is a charge in that range when I've used my cards in Europe.

Sparky

8/5/13 10:30 AM

"I tried rotating a used front tire to the rear but found it's remaining tread life was much, much shorter than a new rear tire. "

Which is why when I am in the position the used rear foes on the the front and a new rear goes on.

Or just a swap of a 1/2 worn rear with a hardly worn front and run them until I start seeing flats.

----
Can we talk about sealant again, I use it on the tubulars?

I filled in an order with a bunch of single tire Stans fluid @ 1/2 off recently.

I have used Slime and Specialized thus far. The Slime with good results, the Specialized with one flat and it goo-ed all out when I tried to pump it back up. It may have just been too big a hole, but
won't know until I try it again. I had the notion in the tubulars I could be flat free with the slim and lost a new tire on the 3rd ride out. In the same PDX
crap the GP4-AllSeason have survived with no sealant I should add.

Also, when I find a spoke for the broke 7801-SL DuraAce wheels I am going to try tubeless/for a bit.
Plan to use the Stans for that with probably Hutchensons...

KerryIrons

8/5/13 6:55 PM

Front to back

quote:
I tried rotating a used front tire to the rear but found it's remaining tread life was much, much shorter than a new rear tire.

I actually collected a fair amount of data on this subject. On average the rear will last about 2/3 as long if it is run on the front first. So if you put 2 new tires on and the rear lasts 3,000 miles, then when you rotate the front to the rear it will last about 2,000 miles. It experienced no wear when on the front (no loss of rubber) but it aged and that aged rubber doesn't last as long.

Of course this can vary with the tire and with how long it was on the front (not miles but time). If you ride 1,000 miles a year and move the front to the back after 3 years that tire might do considerably worse than a tire that was on the front for 3 months. I have no data on this angle.

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

8/5/13 8:50 PM

Kind of anecdotal, but I had Conti 4000's on my road bike last year. The bike and I got pretty thoroughly squished, but the tires looked just fine. Just sayin'.

Reply to topic    

Tim123

8/5/13 10:36 PM

Another vote for the Conti GP4000S. I run 25's and they roll great, feel great and corner great.

Most folks around here that have strayed and gotten a spate of punctures tend to come back. Not saying the are foolproof or punctureproof, but do have a very good rep.

Now, does anyone take note of the directional arrows on the sidewall and mount them appropriately?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -