HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT - Welcome back Chevy

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

7/25/13 5:10 PM

OT - Welcome back Chevy

Although I never bought a Chevrolet, I always had a weak spot for them. My father was a Chevy truck man, and there was a Chevy dealer on my way to junior high school in the 60's. Back in the days of major styling changes almost every year, I loved searching the dealer's back lot for the new model year cars prior to the formal announcement.

From Consumer Reports:

With the release of our latest road tests, the 2014 Chevrolet Impala becomes the highest-scoring sedan in Consumer Reports’ ratings. Among all cars, its 95-point score falls short of just the Tesla Model S ultra-luxury hatchback (99) and BMW 1 Series coupe (97). No other domestic car has topped the sedans ratings since we began tracking scores in that fashion over 20 years ago.

Consumer Reports’ engineers found the Impala rides like a luxury sedan, with a cushy and controlled demeanor, while delivering surprisingly agile handling, capable acceleration, and excellent braking. The Impala corners quite well for a large car, with prompt turn-in response and controlled body lean. Steering is nicely weighted; it’s light enough for parking maneuvers and provides decent feedback. When pushed to its handling limits, the Impala proved secure, responsive, balanced, and easy to control.

Inside, the spacious cabin sets a new standard for Chevrolet fit and finish, with generally high-quality materials and trim. The backseat is roomy and comfortable, the trunk is huge, and controls are refreshingly intuitive and easy to use. The 22 mpg overall Consumer Reports measured with the Impala’s 3.6-liter V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission is competitive, but it’s not the best in its class.

Despite its high test score, this Impala is too new for Consumer Reports to have reliability data, so it can’t be Recommended. To be Recommended, a vehicle must perform well in CR’s battery of tests, have average or better reliability in CR’s Annual Auto Survey, and perform well in government and industry crash tests.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

April

7/25/13 6:01 PM

quote:
Although I never bought a Chevrolet , I always had a weak spot for them.

Perhaps that's the key? Admire from afar and it looks better...

I owned one once. I wasn't disappointed nor impressed. I knew what I was getting fitted my need at the time. Especially the price (I also got a significant GM employee discount) was within my reach as a new graduate...

Reliability was so-so but not as bad as most feared. Or I was just lucky.

When I was ready for a better one, I looked within the GM line again (since I still had the connection to get the employee discount). But it was clear at that point they were falling so far behind other makers in feature/dollar, even with the discount, I were better off buying a non-GM car (got a Ford).

I see Chevy as a reluctunt trend follower rather than a trend setter. There had been isolated models that worked out better than others. But as a brand, it was so hit-and-miss I feel there's no way anyone can have any loyalty left to that brand these days.

Sorry Pat, for being a wet blanket. But that's exactly how that one and only ownership of Chevy left me, totally unexcited/unenthusiastic about the brand.

Sparky

7/25/13 6:26 PM

We couldn't be happier with the 2013 Equinox. But we are kind of a car is a car folks these days. As long as it is a car of reasonable quality, AWD, and reasonable gas mileage which the EQNX has proven to be. Almost took an Impala in TX for a rental, but Elaine wanted a CUV, no big su-preeze really...

Always nice to get a new car, enjoy and good luck with it. My last Impala was a 1996 SS. ;)

Dave B

7/26/13 6:42 AM

I'll be more impressed after its established an adequate to good reliability record.

I've owned a few GM cars over the years starting with a 1960 Chevy Biscayne bought used in '64, a '66 Pontiac Tempest, a '78 Pontiac LeMans and an '80 Pontiac Phoenix. Their reliability varied from mediocre to dreadful.

In 1971 I bought my first Japanese nameplate car, a Datsun 510, and it was my first 100,000 mile car. The Pontiacs bought after it were family cars since Datsun/Nissan didn't make a large enough car or one that could tow a camping trailer so I had no options. Since 1986, I've owned only Nissans and Hondas and they have all gone way over 100,000 miles each with nearly no repairs. GM has a long way to go to match that record.

Frankly, the car GM really need to make competitive is the Malibu as it competes in the largest sales segment of mid-size family cars and directly against the Accord, Camry, Altima, etc. So far its reviews have been luke-warm.

April

7/26/13 8:26 AM

GM reliability

has improved from the horror story of the 70's.

I had a second (or third/fourth) hand Buick from the 70's which was indeed horribly unreliable. But by the time I bought the Chevy Baretta in 89, it had only a couple repairs while I owned it for 6 years (a little under 100k since I only use it on weekends).

Now, that's still not as spetacular as the Camery I had (also second/third hand) that went well over 100k in 10 years with zero repair. But that could just be my luck. In practical terms, both are acceptable. (and frankly better than the BMW I'm driving right now! -- ok, so I have low standard, set by the Beemer)

Alenhoff

7/26/13 8:54 AM

quote:
Frankly, the car GM really need to make competitive is the Malibu as it competes in the largest sales segment of mid-size family cars and directly against the Accord, Camry, Altima, etc. So far its reviews have been luke-warm.

Agree. I drove one, and was not impressed. That segment ought to be what Chevy is all about.

What I do find impressive in the Chevy line is the Cruze. I had a chance to drive one and found it quiet, comfortable, roomy and it had nice handling. (And that's hard-earned praise, since I'm used to driving more upscale cars.) It seemed like a good value.

I think there's an instructive aspect in this thread -- and many similar ones-- for all businesses: Consumers aren't inclined to forgive and forget when they are disappointed after buying such an expensive item. People here are continually talking about bad experiences they had 30+ years ago.

Apparently, it's really hard to earn a second chance after you sold someone a rustbucket in the 1970s.

Alan

Reply to topic    

Jesus Saves

8/3/13 4:36 PM

Motley Fool is high on the 2014 Impala

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/08/03/the-2014-chevy-impala-is-a-game-changer.aspx

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -