Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Sprint plowing TDF Stage [spoiler]

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

7/11/13 10:42 AM

Sprint plowing TDF Stage [spoiler]

Cavendish Veelers Sprint plowing:

Why is no one in the media pointing out what seems obvious to both Elaine and I.

Veelers clearly looked back 'right at Cav.', saw exactly where Cav was. He looked to be doing the attempted nonchalant block strategy. He was intentionally getting in his way from where I sit.

In the last bit before the bump, he moved over to the right again like 18", look at the vid.

And Veelers camera time post crash is embellishing the drawn foul thing.

The only time I recall Cav getting too wonky was that head butt one time.

Anyone ?

BTW: trying to be more careful about spoilers, so this may no really be a spoiler, but could be.
Thanks Sandi, for pointing a previous one out on a post of mine. Hopefully before a cat got out of the bag before I fixed it, and almost again on this one. ;O

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Doug

7/12/13 12:36 PM

Veelers' "move"....

Not sure what it could be called, block, dumb definitely, maybe both. Phil made a similar call in the "enhanced" version IIRC.

If the judges can penalize that kid who "pushed" Sagan into the barriers on an intermediate sprint, why not Veelers?
YMMV
-dg

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

7/12/13 7:49 PM

I didn't see it that way at all

Go back and look at the video. Cav not only turned into him, he leaned way left and shouldered him. Basically, he acted like he wasn't even there and plowed into him. It was stupid, irresponsible and obviously dangerous. IMO, he should have been relegated for it. His lame explanation was "the road turned left and I just followed the road". I guess if there had been a barrier there or road furniture instead of another rider, he would have hit that too?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/12/13 8:19 PM

"Go back and look at the video"

Each time I look, I see Veeler's from wheel continually go toward Cav. And the last time his front wheel went like 18-20" more to the right just as the bump happened.

Jesus Saves

7/13/13 6:04 AM

agreed He should be relegated.

Reply to topic    

Doug

7/13/13 10:23 AM

+1 with Sparky

I've slo-moed it on the DVR a dozen times. It doesn't change. Veelrs starts to drift left, looks over his right shoulder to see Cav moving forward, and then drifts back to the right. Argy-bargy
YMMV
-dg

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

7/13/13 3:57 PM

Theyre both at fault. The kid was trying to intimidate Cav and vice versa. Obviously he was looking back over his shoulder when he was on the left of the line, but also after he was on the right he was watching Cavendish's wheel under his arm (gotta hand it to his nerve for that.) The kid just kept pressing left as Cav tried to come around clean (by bike position.)

But Cav really had deliberate shoulder position. Maybe to jostle and teach the kid a lesson.

But the kid kept veering and not looking where he was going. Then his inner ear was not prepared for the body blow (that he didn't see coming because he was watching too low) and he couldn't recover from a hit that a seasoned pro like Cav has dealt and received a few times - and he fell.

I'm surprised you guys are giving Cav a pass on this though, what he was doing with his upper body was no less than Veelers. Okay, Veelers was playing dirty pool for his teammate, Cav schooled him.

Race judges got it.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -