HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Walking the dog

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

7/1/13 10:50 AM

Walking the dog

I think I'll go watch the TdF peloton go by with my little dog Napoleon. Leash? I don't need no stinkin' leash.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Smunderdog

7/1/13 11:09 AM

Seriously. How can people be so....

Never mind. :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/13 1:37 PM

That was very close to a pelo-pile-up, whew!

dan emery

7/1/13 1:43 PM

been there

I'd like to say that is really stupid, but...

Back in the early '80s I strolled down to watch the Old Port Criterium in Portland with my dog Peaches, whom I never put on a leash. After the sprint finish, she uncharacteristically decided to check out something on the other side of the street. Except...there was a dropped rider coming in and, well, fortunately he missed her.

With the Dalmatians I have now I wouldn't come near a race, leashed or otherwise...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/1/13 2:01 PM

My greyhound could get out there and out sprint them, if he wasn't such a dumb shit that is. ;) My last one would run the wrong way probably. They kicked him out of racing after 7 races... Now the other one I had to put down in 2011 with 140 races under him collar my has a chance... ;)

Nick Payne

7/2/13 2:29 AM

I once ran over a dog about half way through an Audax 1000. Luckily, a small one. Three of us were riding through a small town at about 10pm, having already covered about 400km for the day, and a Dachshund came bolting out of a yard and between me and the rider in front. My front wheel went over the dog and twisted sideways, and I thought "I'm going to hit the deck here". However, my rear wheel then went over the dog and everything somehow straightened up, and I just continued on. How, I don't know. The dog's barks changed to yelps, and it continued on across the road into some bushes and wasn't seen again. The rider who was a few yards behind me was laughing so much that he could barely ride - said he had never seen anything like it.

The pro cyclist Joaquim Agostinho died in 1984 after colliding with a dog and hitting his head whilst leading the Tour of the Algarve.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

7/2/13 10:20 AM

The dog Jim Montgomery hit certainly caused his demise ultimately. I always think of Jim with a dog crash post.

"everything somehow straightened up"

As an old moto-crosser I can tell you that used to happen 9/10 of the almosts. You are not down until... well you aren't up. ;)

I blasted through a dip section after playing sprint with a friend the other day. When I got light out of the dip I got a good wobble as I was too forward. Practically a nose wheelie pretty much. It was an almost magnitude 5 almost probably. But, yeah... Those magnitude 9.5 ones every 5-10 years leave you wondering how you manged to stay on for sure.

I remember many a flapping like a flag hanging onto the bars MX almosts. ;O

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -