HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

For Walter & assorted minions of Weight Weeniedom

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/19/13 1:40 PM

For Walter & assorted minions of Weight Weeniedom

15.6 lb with Ultegra Triple and Ulterga SPDR pedals.

Could easily be lighter with carbon pedals/stem, D/A double and some Ti or stupid light brakes, saddle etc

Climbing bike?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/19/13 2:26 PM

Common weight range these days. It could be much lighter.

Sparky

6/19/13 2:58 PM

I think it is a 2009-10. My Roubaix is like a lb more.

You know me, I am in the past. ;)

What is the UCI limit ?

Dave B

6/19/13 5:08 PM

15 pounds in round numbers. More exactly 6.8 kg or 14.991 pounds.

walter

6/19/13 6:04 PM

nice ride!

i'm far from a weight-weenie...my lightest bike is 18lbs with circa 2004 technology and i'm loathe to ride carbon wheels (too expensive) or carbon stem/bars/seatpin (no faith)!

Tim123

6/19/13 6:10 PM

That's a pretty decent weight for a bike that is a few years old, Ultegra triple and what appears to be a fairly large frame.

My 2013 S-Works Roubaix is 6.8kg with pedals, cages and computer mount with no attempt to make it light. From what I have read, manufacturers are about at the limit of the weight scale, new tech will all be about aero

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/19/13 6:33 PM

59.4 TT, I think it is a 61. So yeah, XL.

Dave B

6/19/13 8:02 PM

The manufacturer's aren't at the lower limit of possible weight, just what the UCI will allow. Building a fully usable bike well below 6.8 kg is very simple these days but you can't race them in most sanctioned events.

Sparky

6/20/13 7:47 PM

Did some hill repeats on the Scott for a short 40 minutes before I had to go downtown.

The Scott reminds me of the 5500 OCLV I had ridden late 90s. Just not loud and woody/klunky sounding like the Trek. It is a stiff machine, and makes you want to ride it hard/fast. The Roubaix is more forgiving a ride.

walter

6/21/13 6:42 AM

i remember the advent of the Scott CR1s

like 2004-ish, right? to me it was the first crazy-sick-light CF bike. some said it was fragile, but it was light and oh-so-desireable back then!

Sparky

8/28/13 5:09 PM

Update; with all D/A 10speed and Speedplays

Fish scale sez 13.7-13.8 lb bouncing at edge of .8

Down from 15.6 with the DA and some bar changes.

Picture to follow, although looks pretty much the same. ;)

greglepore

8/28/13 5:49 PM

Like a guy your size needs a bike bellow the UCI weight limit.

There is a guy in Cali making FUCI stickers...

Sparky

8/28/13 5:56 PM

Undoubtedly.

I don't get the FUCI sticker reference??

It is for resale with the chance to ride and experience it a little for the duration. I will stick with my boat anchor 17 lb Roubaix. :)

FWIW, I personally do not see any reason for an UL light bike for me honestly. I can not feel any difference climbing with a 15 or a 20 lb bike honestly. I can OTOH feel a difference bombing descents. I will take the heavier bike.

I was short on the DA cranks and Calipers, and took a while to get them for condition&prices i was wiling to accept. Thus the update, and delay to finish.

It is the most unforgiving thing to ride I have ever thrown a leg over I have to say. Race bike all the way pretty much. make you think about the pros witting on similar stiff trusses for so many hours, does me anyway...

Last edited by Sparky on 8/28/13 6:00 PM; edited 1 time in total

PLee

8/28/13 5:57 PM

Looks like you dropped the triple crank, too.

Reply to topic    

greglepore

8/29/13 4:58 AM

The UCI requires a "UCI approved" sticker on all race frames entered in their races-this certifies that all the angles and shapes have been analyzed and approved. Some folks take umbrage at the UCI's dictating all of this stuff ( and the weight minimum) hence the bogus sticker, which looks exactly like the real sticker except it reads FUCI.

I suspect that much of the unforgiving nature of your frame is in the oversized fork-that and aero is the reason Cervelo has downsized theirs. The front end of my new carbon bike is 1.25x1.5 and is an absolute jackhamer, even with carbon bars (which do help with buzz and little hits). The rear end, though is plush, due to pencil thin stays, and plenty stiff enough. the pros don't mind much, too much else hurts to worry about ride comfort.

sandiway

8/29/13 12:14 PM

That saddle is at some crazy angle in the last picture...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

walter

8/29/13 1:13 PM

at the opposite end of the spectrum

i just put my MTB on the digital scale...26.7lbs as pictured. i was honestly surprised as i expected it to breach 30lbs. circa '96 steel fisher. i figure keeping the noodly Q21R fork saves me a pound over modern suspension forks (that work a ton better in every concievable way except for weight). but i give some of that savings back with the suspension seatpin and super-duper beefy vuelta wheelset.

anyone know what a modern steel framed racing/cross-country MTB with front-suspension weighs these days?

Sparky

8/29/13 4:25 PM

Walter, I dig the old school steel 26er Hardtails!

That specimen is not very different than my steel Stumpjumper with Black Sid. I honestly forget the weight of it. I am playing with it currently, took off the Raceface cranks to use on the other TCX I should have in few days. Want to try the L as well as the XL. My friend wants the XL... Going full time capsule on the Stumpjmpr with a 180mm XT 110 bolt circle cranks I procured recently... ;)

Sparky

8/29/13 4:56 PM

Sparky

8/31/13 9:00 PM

I bolted the XT crank and BB into the Stmpjumper. 26lb. It was lighter with the raceface crank setup. The BB now is a UN73 chromo instead of the outboard BB pipe connected to the NDS arm etc.

Sparky

9/11/13 5:52 PM

Scott Impressions

Actually rode the Addict LTD today. Decided to trim the integrated seat post once I got a saddle with minimum rail to top height. Also used the pedals/shoes with the most stack so I could cut the seat mast as little as possible. 1/2" off.

Anyway, most responsive frame/bike I have ever ridden as it pertains to power transfer for your pedaling effort. And it is obvious. Stark contrast from the Specialized Carbon Roubaix I took out for yesterdays ride. I would use the term spongy for the Roubaix and for the Scott no such term. Now on a 5-10 hour ride, the Roubaix might be the better choice.

It did not feel as light to me as other bikes I have ridden in the past in the 15lb area. Maybe I was running to much tire pressure back then or something, I dunno... You have the sense if it's lightness, but it was less uncomfortable than I expected for a race rig. Only a 30 mile ride granted.

Best aspect was standing up while climbing. Even on my 3rd day in a row riding, it felt as though my weight alone standing was propelling the bike and not my muscle groups sorta. Any pedal effort is immediate and seems to accelerate more than my other bikes, all of them in time. ;)

dfcas

9/11/13 6:45 PM

I need a self climbing bike.

Sparky

9/11/13 7:42 PM

"I need a self climbing bike."

Me too! who-da thunk it was out there??

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -