Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

New York Citibikes
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

6/18/13 1:15 PM

New York Citibikes

I guess this is pretty new, but do any of you denizens of Gotham have a feel for how this program is working? My niece has signed up and is riding them around Manhattan. She describes it as "terrifying" (with a smile). She is a runner but not an experienced cyclist. The bikes look pretty well thought out to me. Any thoughts on the program?

Reply to topic    

Steve B.

6/18/13 1:53 PM

There's been a running thread on another site with comments from a guy whose been using it on a regular basis. His comments detail some occasional burps in the software that prevents taking a bike out, or won't correctly log it in, so growing pains. It's not really cheap, you rent for +$10 a day for unlimited 30 minute rides, so it assumes you need to use it a few times per day to be cost effective. I also read some issue with solar powered machines being flaky, trees, clouds, bad batteries, skyscrapers, etc...

The NY Daily News actually reports it as a success, which is interesting as they are an anti-cycling paper otherwise.

One comment was if you see a station packed with bikes, or none, chances are the computer is not working and won't let you take out or return.

It's somewhat designed as I read, for the "last mile" of transportation, between a subway/bus stop and your destination, as example.

Seemingly +250,000 users in 2 weeks, so taking off like gangbusters.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-citi-bike-bike-share-program-successful-article-1.1374368

Reply to topic    

April

6/18/13 2:11 PM

I haven't used it (nor plan to since I have a beater bike for that purpose)

quote:
It's not really cheap, you rent for +$10 a day for unlimited 30 minute rides, so it assumes you need to use it a few times per day to be cost effective.

Not really. If you have to take a cab, it'll be more than $10 dollars anyway.

More typical New Yorker's day is going one place for a few hours, then go some place else for another couple hours, a third place for 1/2 hr and go home. That's like 4-5 trips on the subway that would add up to be over $10 if you don't have a monthly pass. This reminds me of the (now discontinued) daily MTA pass price. It took into consideration of the typical break even point of 4 trips on the subway/buses.

You're likely to be as fast, if not faster, in getting to your destination than waiting around for subways and buses running on sparsely mid-day or worse, weekend schedule.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sanrensho

6/18/13 4:12 PM

In the Daily News article, is the intern's helmet on backward or is this a new Internet meme?

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

6/18/13 4:23 PM

A New Yorker I correspond with often said he plans on using them and bought the yearly pass. No word yet on his experience. The helmets in the pictures are just props for the pictures. Hers is on backwards and his won't really go on because of his ball cap.

Sparky

6/18/13 4:39 PM

How much is the yearly cost? And are there like fines or surcharges assuming the time limits per use etc?

JohnC

6/18/13 5:34 PM

95$ yearly, for unlimited number of rides up to 45 minutes. If you exceed the time, $2.50 for the next half hour, 6.50 for the next half hour, 9 for each following half hour.

daddy-o

6/18/13 6:37 PM

quote:
A New Yorker I correspond with often

If it's who I think it is, helmets are something that don't concern him. ;-)

Stanley83

6/18/13 7:19 PM

My brother...

lives in NYC and is thrilled. Though he has a bunch of bikes, bike share allows him to take his kids to school then grab a bike and ride to work.

Last edited by Stanley83 on 6/19/13 5:10 AM; edited 1 time in total

PLee

6/19/13 1:32 AM

I've used it and intend to continue to use it. I think it's fantastic. Some growing pains, but that can be expected.

Their website, citibikenyc.com, has a daily blog that sets out the usage statistics. It's taking off. The last time I checked, there was one day when over 22,000 ride were taken. At $95 a year, it's a bargain.

There's also an app that you can use to find the nearest station with bikes and the nearest station where there is a dock available for a return.

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/19/13 7:52 AM

I haven't used it yet, but all of my friends that have used it have nothing but praise.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/19/13 8:05 AM

access

So I guess there must be alot of places to pick up bikes and drop them off?

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/19/13 8:39 AM

In midtown and lower Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn (the only service areas for now) there are 330 stations. 6000 bikes for now. There are plans to expand to at least double those numbers eventually.

Parkin, I just read that they had over 25,000 rides on Sunday. It looks like this may be a huge success. Let's see how the vandalism and theft go. Paris had a lot of trouble with that for a while.

April

6/19/13 7:25 PM

Access is good

"So I guess there must be alot of places to pick up bikes and drop them off?"

Today is my first day in Manhattan since the program started. I see the station quite easily at street corners all over midtown Manhattan. Today being a rather nice day, the "stations" were about 1/2 filled. So there's no problem getting a bike had I needed one. Never actually saw anyone taking one out of the station. But saw quite a few of them rolling down the street.

Turns out one of my co-workers signed up for the yearly program already, after having checked one out for a taste. He actually figure out a way to use it for fun on the weekend besides using them for transportation during the week: ride for just under 1/2 hr, return the bike, duck into a Starbuck for a cup as a break, come back out and grab another one for another 1/2 hr. Repeat as many times as desired.

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

6/20/13 8:57 AM

Same system and mgt as in Boston

Seems to work fine here and IIRC initially did not have the computer start up issues as there is in Manhattan...for what its worth....pretty popular here

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/20/13 9:54 AM

The latest news in NYC (perhaps the start of a trend) is a few companies announcing they will pay for employees' yearly memberships as a perk. Cheap for them, high-profile goodwill PR, and may get a lot more people to try the bikes.

Evan Marks

6/20/13 9:24 PM

Casey Neistat nails it

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10z90c_citibikes-are-a-pain-in-the-ass_travel#.UcPHE8u9KSM

Reply to topic    

April

6/20/13 10:20 PM

quote:
may get a lot more people to try the bikes

And hopefully hooked on it convinience.

JohnC

6/21/13 10:19 AM

Their blog gives a bunch of stats every day, and it's interesting to watch the growth. They broke another record yesterday, over 27,000 rentals (on a Thursday). Annual memberships are increasing by 500-800 every day, and are up to about 45,000 now.

lrzipris

6/21/13 11:11 AM

Tangentially

Evan, does that apartment and gate in that video look like Patchin Place? A storied address, I recall.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/21/13 11:23 AM

Hmmm

For $95 it might even make sense to get one for the couple times per year I visit...

Reply to topic    

JohnC

6/21/13 12:01 PM

one-day pass is 10 bucks, 7-day 25. Both of those limit you to 30-minute trips to avoid additional charge (you get 45 minutes with the yearly).

dan emery

6/22/13 8:57 AM

New York, New York!

http://www.thecrosbypress.com/2013/06/20/soul-cycle-for-homeless-people-is-apparently-a-thing-that-is-now-happening-in-new-york-city/

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/22/13 10:28 AM

That's great, backwards spinning classes for free! LOL

PLee

6/22/13 8:16 PM

Yesterday, they logged over 30,000 rides. And, today, total miles ridden exceeded 1,000,000, within the first 4 weeks of the program.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -