HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Proud of my new roadie wife. ;)

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

6/2/13 8:16 PM

Proud of my new roadie wife. ;)

She did 21 miles today on her Traitor Ruben CX roadie disc bike. I did have to push her up a few small grades towards the end, but she did great. That got my HR up a little. ;)

The most she has done previously was 12 miles on the MTB with inverted tires. Not too bad for a newbee. ;)

I had to stay in my 39/24and21 so not to have her out of the target HRM zone of 140-150. So I got a nice 21 mile spinfest which I enjoyed immensely riding with my honey...

Thought I'd share

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dfcas

6/2/13 8:28 PM

Thats great. Soon she will be pushing you up the hills:)

Brian Nystrom

6/3/13 4:57 AM

"Inverted tires?"

Explain please. I hope it's not what I'm thinking.

Getting your "better half" into cycling is a double-edged sword, of sorts. I got Linda interested a few years back and she went nuts with it. She started with short road rides like your wife, then did the MTB thing, with all the typical scrapes and bruises. Next, she started racing sprint triathlons and eventually 'cross. Now she frequently kicks my butt on climbs, which wouldn't be so bad, but she's eight years older than I am. Sure, I can out sprint her, but she has better endurance.

If I had any traces of male ego, they're gone now! ;-)

To be fair, I have to say that she's also my favorite riding partner and we've done several cycling vacations that were a blast (we have another one planned for this year). That's something I've never had with any other woman. Also, I can buy her bike parts and/or tools for her birthday and holidays and she doesn't hit me with them! She has six bikes now, so she's always in need of something. In fact, I just built myself a new pair of wheels last week and this past weekend, she took a shine to them and asked me to build her a pair. How much better can it get?

Reply to topic    

walter

6/3/13 9:21 AM

wonderful!

wifey and i do enjoy biking together:

Sparky

6/3/13 9:57 AM

I guess a car tire is an inverted tread.

I was on the Paramount, and what smooth ride it has...

April

6/3/13 12:12 PM

quote:
wifey and i do enjoy biking together:

Mackinac Island?

walter

6/3/13 2:21 PM

yep -- MI, MI

wonderful place to visit! take a ferry to the island, stay at a nice B&B, relax and get away from it all. no vehicular traffic on the island at all, riding bikes is a MUST. you can also get horse-powered transport -- the UPS guy even has a horse-drawn hauler!

Last edited by walter on 6/3/13 6:35 PM; edited 1 time in total

Sparky

6/3/13 4:32 PM

Speaking of B&B[&B], I have a trip with am overnight planned for us NW of here. Bank Verona Paved rail trail. When I told Elaine about it when I was building the bike initially, she said "we are going to stop and rest a lot, right?" Yesterday we stopped 1/2 so I could put a cliff bar in her, and once on the return for
a bench sit for less than 10 minutes.

I just told her that the BB&B will be almost identical in terrain and duration. Now she does no fear it. ;)
Maybe I should start looking for a carbon road frame for her. ;) The Ruben Disc is no lightweight. While I take her on these rail trails it is a non issue...

April

6/3/13 6:53 PM

MI, MI

I had fond memory of Mackinac Island, and the once a year bridge walk (those were pre-cycling days when I lived in MI).

That's where I brought my parents when they came to visit me. They enjoyed it too. Both of my parents agreed a leasurely bike ride in the street that has no cars, gawking at the clear blue water of the Great Lakes (they keep calling it the "sea" by mistake), view of Grand Hotel up on the hill was almost worth the trip for them coming all the way from Hong Kong!

Nick Payne

6/4/13 5:26 PM

I was fortunate that when I met my wife some 32 years ago, she was already a cyclist - she had a nice double-butted lugged steel road bike with Shimano 600 components. We now have three tandems, plus she also has about half dozen other bikes.

Mackinac Island sounds a bit like a smaller version of Rottnest Island, off Perth, Western Australia, which also doesn't allow motorised vehicles. A couple of stages of this years Tour of Perth were held on Rottnest.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

6/4/13 6:39 PM

Smaller version

Mackinac Island is only about 11 miles around (paved road right on the water all the way) so it is a pretty small island. Great history there though as it has changed hands numerous times between the British, French, and US as the ownership of the Great Lakes passed back in forth in war after war.

In the end the island is a big tourist trap with a nice patina of history, but that's OK. It's a fun place to take a bike once you get off the downtown section (so crowded with carriages, walkers, and tourists who don't know how to ride that you can't hardly move).

The island tour guides describe it as a huge limestone rock covered with 6 feet of horse manure.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -