HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Fixie Question

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
JayPee

6/1/13 11:42 AM

Fixie Question

Ok so Dennis is the fixie guru and I've been to his site.

Seems tho everything pimped there is steel, 18 lbs is light and why is that?

With 15 lb geared bikes almost passe, why 18 when the bike is so much simpler - or at least can be.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/1/13 1:40 PM

I think because of folks mainly using steel horizontal drop out frame and steel forks perhaps.

You could use an actual track frame, but they steer pretty slow for the street, contrary to the common belief that they are too aggressive geometry. And I guess with one gear, hill riding is less common if you like your knees, and weight perhaps is less significant as well due to that. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

JohnC

6/1/13 8:57 PM

And track frames aren't usually especially light, since stiffness matters much more than light weight.

Some folks do build FGs on lighter frames, though as Sparky noted conversions are much easier with horizontal dropouts, and that means generally older frames.

Sparky

6/1/13 9:08 PM

It seems the town fixies here in PDX [and there are a lot of them] are mainly long wheelbase steel framesets. 72^ HTA, long chainstays, etc. If you live in town where they are most popular I think it is for flat city commuting mostly.

I grabbed one the other day for my 6'4" friend that needed tires, stem and bars, & a saddle. It had everything else. A repainted old thing. It fit him and we tossed on some parts here. it was 50.00 with a a flip flop wheel, and both wheels where true and in decent shape, headset and BB bot good too. Even had a forged Sugino crank and good 44 tooth chain ring.

We didn't weight it, thought didn't cross our minds.

April

6/1/13 11:50 PM

Weight don't matter for fixie

Most people don't climb mountains in a fixie. Or for that matter, when people planning to do a ride with big climbs and lots of elevation gains, they don't just say "I'm taking the fixie"!

On the flat terrain, weight don't matter all that much. So why pay extra for the light weight?

Brian Nystrom

6/2/13 8:47 AM

It's probably mostly about price

There are a lot of old steel frame suitable for fixie conversion that are dirt cheap or free. The same is not true for other materials, although you can get new Al framesets for under $200. Heck, Bikedirect sells complete AL fixie bikes with carbon forks for $310. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/swift2_track.htm

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/2/13 10:15 AM

The thought of an aluminum fixed gear off the track makes me cringe on a few levels.

You need an old i-tey frame for the perfect SS/Fixed. ;)

Any 80s frame such as Guerciotti, Colnago, Ciocc etc etc with horizontal and Campy drop-out for a quality steel to grip really well with your rear axle is perfect IME. Coppi, Casati, Masi... the list is almost endless... A Paramount track frame would be pretty cool if you can tolorate the geom on the road.

My flip flop wheel is set up with a hollow/quick release axle. I used track nuts facing out for spaces and a good old retro steel quick release axle with some aggressive knurling/bite and have not had a wheel move yet. And back on fixie Tuesday nights in Joisey we did some aggressive jumping on the cranks and jambs up hills etc.

Anthony Smith

6/2/13 11:58 AM

well but not

I ride a 57--Its a Token carbon and it barely makes the 14.8 lb minimum legal UCI weight. Sram omnium cranks, Dura Ace pedals, 1/2x1/8 chain, San Marco Rolls Due saddle, FSA alloy bars/Ritchey stem, wheels are either Token T85 carbon track with either Vittoria crono evo (cement surface) or Pista Evo (wood Surface) or Token Rear Disc and Token Quad front (same tire choices) wheel selection depends on event.

Nothing fancy--just go go go...

OTOH it is a real track bike

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/2/13 1:03 PM

Here is a good start if you ride a 54. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/54-cm-De-Rosa-NeoPro-road-bike-frame-Rare-low-miles-superb-cond-/181151505262?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item2a2d789b6e

Brian Nystrom

6/3/13 4:41 AM

What bothers you about an Al fixie on the road?

There are millions of Al road bikes being ridden as we speak, so there's obviously no problem with the material.

In my experience, track bikes can be less than ideal for the road, depending on their geometry, stiffness and whether they're drilled for brakes or not. My old steel Windsor Pro (circa 1977) wasn't drilled for brakes, was way too stiff to be comfortable and was so "responsive" I couldn't ride it no-handed, but that didn't keep me from riding it on the road occasionally. A favorite pastime was to go downtown at night and sprint between traffic lights. It's amazing what 20-somethings will do. ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/3/13 10:01 AM

I dislike the frequency which aluminum transmits road buzz. Big enough tires would help probably.

The Fuji Team Issue Scandium is the one exception of the AL bikes I have ridden. Considering it was made in AU by Teschners shop, this may have had more to do with it that the material. It felt like a ti frame to me.

I'd also note that the Klein Q-Carbon Z9000 AL frame I had rolling for a while last year was a close second. If not for the few traits the Klein had, it would still be under me. Those being tire clearance and the rearward drop outs they use, and it was a touch too big, made semi OK by the sloping geometry... Yadi

The Salsa Sc Kermit CX lacked that magic IMO.

Brian Nystrom

6/4/13 5:19 AM

It's not the material, it's the application of it

Trust me, my old steel Windsor track bike transmitted a LOT more buzz than the Klein Team Super road bike I was racing at the time. A well-designed and executed Al frame will ride just fine. Conversely, a poorly executed frame in another material will ride like crap. You can't pin it on the material.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/4/13 11:14 AM

" You can't pin it on the material. "

Except you can due to the 99-44/100% of building practices unfortunately. But the Fuji and close behind, that Q-Carbon are the examples for me that make you case certainly. But we have all done this over and over.

BTW; a friend has a Trek Z9000 bike that also is pretty good feel wise...

greglepore

6/4/13 6:31 PM

Hey JP

Ping me on email or cellphone, still the same. Have lots of time for a ride...

JayPee

6/5/13 11:50 AM

Bikedirect sells complete AL fixie . . . .

Very nice price - however, no geometry/tube size info and, of course, no weight data.

Here's where I am currently thinking: http://www.gitabike.com/cgi-bin/shop/pinarello_loadhome.cgi?user_id=34143&file=pinarello.html

Weight is not sub 18, heck, maybe not even sub 22 but a classic look, classic build, the black really talks to me and best of all, I got to ride one. Local bike shop guy is my size - heck, didn't even need to change seat position. Only one word needed to describe the experience.

Sweet.

Greg - looking for your number now.

Edit: Ahh, I see the geometry link at bikes direct now - sizes are in ST inches which is funny as the bikesdirect ad is cm . . . . Doh!

Edit #2: Here's an even better pic: http://www.ciclipinarello.com/images/catena_583_big.jpg

Reply to topic    

henoch

6/5/13 2:03 PM

Pino

That sure is one sweet looking ride.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/5/13 3:40 PM

Sure enough is:

Brian Nystrom

6/6/13 5:19 AM

It's definitely gorgeous...

...but we're also talking about a completely different price range ($1000).

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/6/13 8:21 AM

hmmm

Does anyone here actually ride a fixie much? I've had one over 20 years, used to ride it a fair amount, can't remember the last time I did. I'm perfectly comfortable on it, can go up and down moderate hills, brake with my legs, etc. But other than uniqueness and a connection to cycling lore and history, I can't think of much reason to ride it.

I know it's supposed to smooth out your pedal stroke and help you spin. But I found the reverse - it made my pedal stroke sloppy because the pedals pushed my feet through the upstroke, so when I got back on a bike with a freewheel my pedalling was rough because I wouldn't pull through the upstroke. I could correct that of course. The fixie does force you to keep pedalling, and can get to high rpms, but I guess I no longer see the fixie magic.

So many bikes, so little time...

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/6/13 10:46 AM

"Does anyone here actually ride a fixie much?"

I am without currently, Although the Paramount was briefly a SS while I collected bits to gear it. But really because of the Tib/fib Knee episode of 2006. It took me 3 seasons and a compact crank to stay on the bike. Mashing is still out, and the knee is not enough of a problem to risk the residual of a scope procedure.
So I spin, but if I actually lived someplace flatter I would re-make/ride one more. Still have the Sub 11 hub converter and a flip flop wheel... ;)

So 'no' is the answer. ;O

Evan Marks

6/6/13 1:04 PM

quote:
Does anyone here actually ride a fixie much?
Yes. My total mileage decreases year by year but the percentage* of miles on the fixie goes up. It's a way of maximizing time-limited rides by eliminating coasting. I like the "primal cycling" aspect of it, the engagement of having to be aware of what I'm doing every second of the ride. Having brakes makes knee issues irrelevant. Yes, it has ruined what precious little spin I may have had and I don't care.

*spring 2010 - spring 2011 my road bike was down for an upgrade that I just couldn't get motivated to complete, so I rode my fixie exclusively during that time, didn't miss the road bike at all.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

6/6/13 1:32 PM

Well OK

Evan you're probably just trying to look like a Hipster.

Reply to topic    

April

6/6/13 3:13 PM

Dan

quote:
I've had one over 20 years, used to ride it a fair amount, can't remember the last time I did.

With 16 bikes total, I'd be curious how many of them you can't remember the last time you rode?

Brian Nystrom

6/7/13 5:20 AM

I rarely use mine, but...

...I still like to have it around. It's hilly enough here that at fixie is impractical (for me) for riding any real distance. I'm also very conscious of my knees and I won't ride a fixie until I'm feeling strong enough that I won't hurt myself, though having brakes does mitigate knee issues somewhat. Still, there is something about stripping a bike down to its simplest form that just feels so different that it really adds a whole new aspect to riding.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -