5/22/13 10:29 PM

1972 Paramount 'Wisconsin' made...

I am on a frameset in chrome...

Thanks

Last edited by Sparky on 5/24/13 11:59 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

greglepore

5/23/13 6:39 AM

No-there is an excellent history on the Waterford site. Pre 1980 these were Chicago built, some farmed out. Still excellent and desirable/collectable bikes, particularly in chrome and with period components.

Sparky

5/23/13 4:46 PM

Chrome Paramount in the House

And it is a size that is very right for me too.

If my browsing is on target, all the Chrome ones where made in Wisconsin by Don Mainland, with the remaining painted frames in Chicago? I know so little about the lineage. This browsed info was enough for me to take a chance for 300.00.

55the Frame scheduled in March 1972
It also has P541 Stamped in the BB

Sparky

5/23/13 10:00 PM

Tossed it together so I can feel her tomorrow, if it stops raining... SS [42/20] just on one of the cogs on an old 6 speed wheel spaced properly for it, so I tossed them on. 700x32C fit easily apparently.

Started down the street in the dark, but thought better of it as it is raining badly and I ought to clean and wax it before that activity... Brought it right back in and dried it off....

Last edited by Sparky on 5/24/13 9:05 AM; edited 1 time in total

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/24/13 4:43 AM

Now that is the way to build a SS/fixie. Love it.

greglepore

5/24/13 5:52 AM

Yeah, that was a steal.

dan emery

5/24/13 6:56 AM

Very nice

Cool frame, and the price sounds good to me (though I have no idea of the market for vintage frames). I'll bet it is a limo ride (even without those big tires).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/24/13 11:03 AM

Coffee, shoes, quick ride now that it is both light out and the roads are [mostly] dry. ;)

It rides as expected I guess, very well. I did a quick jam out of the saddle up a hill and was surprised how well it stayed put with no rubs etc.

It is so quiet, kind of like those space scenes in Star Trek movies when it get all quiet to represent the nothingness of space. 32C tire contribute. ;)

It fits, luckiest part, and well too!

BTW, back story: When the seller sent me the numbers/measurements I asked for I thought how perfect, no way!.

But he had a guy who was coming over before me. He was asking 250.00, I said if there where no surprises I would go 300.00. The first prospective buyer passed on going up to 300.00 when he told him he had a higher offer already. But I knew if I wanted to roll on it I had to put $/mouth.

Commerce, that is the way it goes.. I got that idea on a bike I tried to buy last week which it happened on to me. I thought, OK...

Not to mention the 1st guy was a few miles from him and I had to drive 45 min each way.

Think this one has high potential to please on the tarmac. I need some deep drop non anatomic shaped drops. Maybe some track bars?

Also going to put some CX brake levers on the tops, probably just one...

greglepore

5/24/13 1:34 PM

Be careful w/ track bars-many have an odd curve at the outer end of the tops, if you like to ride there.

Frame is likely worth 2x what you paid for it, at least.

walter

5/24/13 3:17 PM

COOL BIKE MAN!

very coolio indeed

Sparky

5/31/13 9:31 PM

Paramount gets geared.

OK, got the parts in I needed except brake levers, so I put CX top levers for now.

Campy headset, 10 speed Chorus 39/53 cranks, campy BB and Record 10s front derailleur. Dura Ace 10 speed indexed bar cons, 7900 rear derailleur 7901 with Dura Ace bevel plate chain.

Wheels are 600 hubs x32, sew-up rims/tires [with sealant]. Cassette body modded to have 9 of 10 speed from a Dura Ace 10 speed cassette. So the bike is 18 speeds with 10 speed Shimano spacing that shifts like a good modern bike does/should.

Brakes are NOS Gran-comp front, waiting for a drop bolt for the rear matching. Still using the one that came on the frame on the rear. The brakes work a lot better than expected, adequate really.

Ti quill, salsa Aluminum Handlebars de-jour, Record C post with T-Gear Pinnacle Saddle.

Under 22 lb as shown. Time to turn the Colnago back into a SS/Fixed flip flop. ;)

Andy M-S

6/1/13 5:11 AM

5w33t!

Sparky

6/1/13 8:15 AM

The rear cable loop is a vintage stainless bare, non vinyl covered housing I have some of, pretty retro.
And I ran the bar con housings under the taper all the way for nice touches. Also, not in the pic, but i have a chrome cinelli frame pump that fits under the top tube. Only with there was a frame peg on the back of the top tube. Also, there ate mo water bottle bosses on the frame. What did they do back when for this?

dan emery

6/1/13 8:37 AM

very very nice

That's a great bike. I can answer a few historical questions. As to water bottles, I think '72 was a bit before braze ons became common and clamp-on cages were used. TA were the classics. Similarly, the pump typically would have run along the seat tube with a head that fit in the bb and a clamp-on umbrella bracket on top.

I'm assuming the CX levers are temporary...:) Original components would be nice, but I'd be too lazy to get them myself so I can't quibble. It would like a 1-A or 1-R stem though...:)

Geometry looks alot like my '65 Cinelli. Enjoy!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

6/1/13 9:49 AM

CX levers are temporary. ;)

The Tektro RL340 levers I eBayed should be here today according to tracking info. I bid on some Campy aero levers, they went ver my max bid. The Tektros are wider across and probably a better ergo choice for my huge mits.

I like the Pinnacle saddle comfort wise and the look on the bike. But... I do have a Tipo Uno brown leather saddle and brown tape I have been saving, and what better place for them. I have no idea if that saddle will get along with my parts.

I have a few too short nice quill stems more period correct, and a mint Nitto.

Wishing I had ordered the Clement tires with tan walls instead of black about now.. ;)

Tipo Uno:

Andy M-S

6/1/13 10:08 AM

Yeah

The stem and the bars (or maybe, the bar angle) are the only things that really stick out in the photo. It's not even a matter of period, but something a bit more slender in a stem, I think. Brown saddle & tape will look good.

Sparky

6/1/13 10:41 AM

With no nubs on the bends, I tilted them up. I find it surprisingly comfortable riding with my palms cupped over the bends. I suspect with the 59CM top tube and the road levers the 125 Ti stem is going to be too long. No to mention the anatomical bend on the bars I can live with out. I'd like some deep Merckx bends bars.. ;)

I am spying this locally on CList

Andy M-S

6/1/13 1:34 PM

Yessssssss

nm

Sparky

6/1/13 4:08 PM

Levers made it in today's mail. Nice and wide and meaty. Just 1-2mm less than 1-1/4" wide, so a nice big gradual arch for my thumb flipper web. ;)

OK, done playing. now time to ride...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -