HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Modern bikes are ugly

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Nick Payne

5/3/13 3:33 PM

Modern bikes are ugly

This thought has been inspired by thinking about replacing my current road race machine, which is a dozen year-old Litespeed, so I've been drifting into bike shops lately and idly looking at the current crop of road machines. My principal complaint is that they all seem to me to be pretty damn ugly. Both the bikes and most of the components on them look so much less elegant than the machines I've been riding for the past forty-odd years, with deep-dish carbon wheels plastered with logos being the worst thing of all.

My feelings about them are much the same as for the Savart trapezoidal violin - it might work, but only with reluctance would I actually use one:

Reply to topic    

dan emery

5/3/13 3:53 PM

Agree

I hear ya! I'm not looking for a road bike, and I certainly haven't looked at all or even most of them, but I see guys riding these garish Cannondales and stuff, yuck. I wouldn't buy a bike I thought was ugly, though it's also true that I am a lame enough rider that incremental performance advantages don't mean anything. Now in my 9th season on my Ottrott, still consider it perfect (and lookin' good!).

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/3/13 5:09 PM

Soma ES ? Got those down there ?

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Nick Payne

5/3/13 6:43 PM

quote:
Soma ES ? Got those down there ?

I don't know if they're sold down here, but from looking at the Soma web site, it looks more like a bike for riding centuries or long day rides, and I already have quite a number of those. What I'm looking for is an actual race machine.

quote:
I see guys riding these garish Cannondales and stuff

Actually, I thought some of the Cannondales with minimal logos and round tubing were the least objectionable, though the Cannondale cranks are not a thing of beauty:

Reply to topic    

Sparky

5/3/13 6:56 PM

Soma Smoothie NON ES model then...

dan emery

5/3/13 7:04 PM

Yeah

That C'dale looks fine to me, the ones I've seen have fat, shaped tubes and splashy color/graphics. I haven't gone to a shop, just seen random ones on the road.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

5/3/13 9:24 PM

The eye of the beholder. I find the flowing aerodynamic lines of modern frames very appealing in an organic way. The logos, well that sells but if they were a bit more subtle as an option I would not complain.

My wife's Felt has no less than 12 logos and the name brand on it. From hubs to rims to frame stays fork and even the top cap and bar. Overkill for sure.

Last edited by ErikS on 5/4/13 5:32 AM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

5/4/13 5:04 AM

I can understand Nick's perception. The arched top "tube," the paint, and in most cases the logo overkill--these increasingly mess with the platonic ideal of "bike" some of us carry around. But it's been a gradual process of movement away from that ideal. In some ways, things like the Dogma fork, etc, are just the modern versions of "curly stays.". In some cases, there may be genuine functionality to the manipulation...

Dave B

5/4/13 6:19 AM

Purpose

quote:
In some ways, things like the Dogma fork, etc, are just the modern versions of "curly stays.".

Those Pinarello wavy fork blades are absolutely just a styling gimmick but the Hetchins' curly stays had a purpose. Back then the UCI (or it's predecessor) forbid displaying manufacturer's logos on racing bikes. Hetchins used those stays as a visual trademark so the fans would recognize their bikes.

April

5/4/13 7:30 AM

quote:
The eye of the beholder. I find the flowing aerodynamic lines of modern frames very appealing in an organic way.

Same here. Different style, I have no strong preference.

Except the logo overkill, that is. And some of the crazy color scheme.

Sparky

5/4/13 9:25 AM

Kestrel sure seem to be following the Specialized design

Starting to see this little ST/TT cluster configuration more too.

Sparky

5/4/13 9:26 AM

I might bring up cranks, Shimano, anything past 6600 and 7800 stuff I find pretty brash looking myself...

stan

5/6/13 7:52 PM

Everything grows on me. I like the curved and sloping top tubes as well as some of the oval/flat aero shapes. I hated the logos at first but now like them - I better with Cervelo and Guru frames.

But I also have a 23 yo steel Waterford with a classic look that I still like

Reply to topic    

henoch

5/7/13 6:59 AM

I agree about the logos, but while on the frame you are pretty much stuck with what you have, with wheels that is easily fixed, just get a nice set of wheels hand-built by a local guy and forget those carbon wheels.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

5/7/13 7:04 AM

Surly

For an understated "Classic" appearance, Surly's frames certainly qualify. My Pacer has only slightly oversize steel tubing, a level toptube and very low key graphics. In fact, Surly makes it a point that they don't clearcoat over the decals so you can remove them without damaging the paint.

No one is going to claim these are high end or state of the art frames but they are visually very simple.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -