View posts since last visit

Runners. Barefoot running
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/11/13 1:37 PM

Runners. Barefoot running

I am looking into barefoot running as a way to strengthen my lower legs and feet. Any runners ever thought or tried it.

I have the crazy toed shoes for it now, will be using them for other things too.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Smunderdog

4/11/13 1:43 PM

Have only tried it infrequently...but recommend soft surfaces and easing into it very slowly...I lived near a golf course where I could sneak out onto the fairways to run barefoot and sometimes will also hit the firm sand on the beach when I'm on vacation. Never did it on a regular (even once a week) basis though...

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/11/13 1:52 PM

When I came back to running after my injury it was partially barefoot, pretty much full time now in either five fingers or minimalist trail shoes. I don't run big road mileage so take my comments with a grain of salt.

First of all, ease in. The rate of Achilles injuries increase (and some others) among people making the transition. I had no issues, but I was relearning my stride-I suspect that the people that get hurt have an established "style" and simply switch shoes. The usual recco is to start at a half mile or mile at a time every other run to ease the adaptation.

You'll want to increase your cadence when switching, particularly if you have a long loping stride in normal shoes. You don't have to worry about heelstriking, it'll be too uncomfortable if you do. Expect muscle loads to shift and for it to seem inefficient at first.

Remember that your foot has an amazing number of joints and tendons, it's natures suspension system, but that they're underused and need to be mobilized and developed. If you have access to grass, running a bit on it truly barefoot will help.

I wouldn't go back, especially on technical trails, altho a shoe with a descent rockplate is appreciated there. The gereral feeling of freedom is really good, even in the gym when doing weight work.

Nick Payne

4/11/13 2:01 PM

I used to go barefoot running every morning along the beach when I lived in Perth - about 5km or so along the wet sand at the water's edge. Never suffered any injuries over the several years that I did this. But the sand is a fair bit softer than most running surfaces.

Reply to topic    

ErikS

4/11/13 3:05 PM

I picked up some five fingered Vibram shoes.

My intention is to ease into them for my occasional runs to strengthen my calves and feet. A couple of times this season I have angered my calves either through lifting weights or running. I heard this style of running will work that weakness.

KerryIrons

4/11/13 6:47 PM

Easing in

My brother-in-law tried it and loved it. He's a big time runner and has done several marathons (Pikes Peak twice). He loved it so much he ran himself into a stress fracture. His advice is to transition VERY slowly. He felt it was great for his hips and knees and that's why he ramped it up so fast but it didn't work for his feet.

Reply to topic    

JohnC

4/12/13 8:43 AM

I think the experience of Kerry's bil is very common. The advantages of the barefoot style of running come from avoiding heel strike and landing on the forefoot instead. There seems little doubt that it hugely eases stresses on the knees and hips -- that was my experience.

But it can be very tough on various parts of the feet if you don't have a lot of time training that way -- also my ecperience. You may find that the Vibram's don't have enough padding, but take it slow for a while and pay attention.

Personally, I suspect that many runners could get most of the advantages without most of the disadvantage by changing running style but still wearing shoes with more cushioning in the forefoot. In other words, wear running shoes or sneakers with some padding, but don't land on your heel. It's not the barefootedness as such that makes the difference -- it's the forefoot landing.

sandiway

4/12/13 10:56 AM

Newton running shoes

I use Newton running shoes. They have ribs at the "sweet spot" for landing that inform your gait.

http://www.newtonrunning.com/why/science

I think this is a better idea than barefoot running unless you're on a beach. Pounding takes a serious toll on joints. And once your knees or hips are fucked, they're fucked...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

jdawg

4/18/13 12:30 PM

"Personally, I suspect that many runners could get most of the advantages without most of the disadvantage by changing running style but still wearing shoes with more cushioning in the forefoot. In other words, wear running shoes or sneakers with some padding, but don't land on your heel. It's not the barefootedness as such that makes the difference -- it's the forefoot landing."

This. I would add that I find it much easier to land on my forefoot with a shoe that does have much difference (drop) between the forefoot and the heel.

Reply to topic    

robertsos

4/19/13 2:14 PM

My experience with trying to change strides -- something I've done without going barefoot -- is that one must transition slowly. It is easy to injure one's self in running by changing things too radically.

My son's college cross country coach advises short strides -- and landing anywhere but the heel. As someone said earlier, that comes naturally when you run barefoot.

But I must say, I've never run barefoot. And, as a tenderfoot, every time I see someone running a marathon without shoes I am truly amazed.

Reply to topic    

PLee

4/20/13 6:31 AM

When I transitioned to forefoot landing, my calves let me know their discontent for days! Ease into it.

Reply to topic    

sandiway

4/22/13 12:18 PM

you may think you forefoot land...

I am a big fan of forefoot landing since I use the Newton shoes.* But that's just what I think I'm doing. Do I know for sure? Without video evidence actually, I don't know for sure what percentage of the time I heel strike vs. forefoot strike.

But this is interesting reading.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/15/myths-of-running-forefoot-barefoot-and-otherwise/

Sandiway

*Qualifier: I'm not a very good runner compared to many of you. I've only done a few marathons and not one at Boston pace yet...

Reply to topic    

Rickk

4/22/13 7:12 PM

Excellent link re. myths of bafefoot running patterns

Ty!

Also, ditto what others said.
Ease in progressively - your arches, and musculoskeletal system will be glad you did, based on personal experience and on several patients.
Those who've been walking, running barefoot all their lives exempted.

Imo Vibrams are somewhat over-rated - NB and Merrill offer more comfortable regular running shoes and also "comfortable" transitional or hard-core 'barefoot runners'
Ymmv

Reply to topic    

ErikS

4/22/13 7:27 PM

Gonna take a very short trot in the AM. very short....

ErikS

4/27/13 2:09 PM

Finally gave it a go. Like I was told a little the time. Ran a simple 1.5 miles. The stride seems natural. It will work your calf muscles.

I like the feeling of it and it seems like it should strengthen my entire lower legs.

May try more tomorrow if my bike does not call my name.

stan

5/6/13 8:11 PM

I think it makes a lot of sense. But the problem is most of us spent our entire lives in shoes (excluding being young children). So I think the transition needs to be long - very long including slow and easy to avoid injuries. I think by the time some one is 40 yo, it's going to take a couple years to be used to serious running all the time that way. The question is why take the time and effort if you don't have discomfort now?

Reply to topic    

Rickk

6/5/13 6:38 PM

Just another fad?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/is-barefoot-style-running-best-new-studies-cast-doubt/

Reply to topic    

April

6/5/13 10:38 PM

quote:
But the problem is most of us spent our entire lives in shoes (excluding being young children). So I think the transition needs to be long

Actually, plenty of people walk around barefoot when they're at home.

Couple that with driving around a lot and sitting around a lot, (i.e. NOT walking much outside of home) it's not necessarily everyone spend more time walking in shoes than barefoot.

daddy-o

6/6/13 5:49 AM

Treadmill desks

A half-marathon at work? They don't mention barefoot, but the don't rule it out neither.

The original article:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/05/20/130520fa_fact_orlean

A follow-up on NPR
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/15/184232468/treadmill-desks-and-the-benefits-of-walking-alive

JohnC

6/6/13 9:26 AM

The studies discussed in the Times piece seem to address physiological efficiency, and strengthening of foot muscles, neither of which have been touted (as far as I've ever heard or read) as the major benefit. Rather, the benefit that's usually discussed is reduced stress and injury to knees, hips and back, the areas that absorb the shock in heel-strike running. The article mentioned no studies on those issues.

Sparky

6/6/13 10:56 AM

I got a pretty big chunk of glass in my rear tire yesterday and all the sealant all spit out. Make me think about stepping on something barefoot.

I though it finny on the new spot about last night, it showed a runner running and the shoulder was covered with all kind of gravel and debris to make the point. But who is going to run or even step on that debris barefooted. The the next segment was on a child with a flesh eating situation on her foot. I connected that with a brain tweet, not sure the station meant for those ideas to be connected considering the space between but something to think about.

I will wait for the fad to pass, and grab some of the toe slippers for camping or something...

ErikS

6/6/13 3:24 PM

I try to get in one run a week. A 5k is my goal. So fair have gotten 4.4k. Blisters on my big toes stopped me last weekend. It has a definite challenge to it. My pace is a hair slower still.

I won't do it as a marathon but do feel it has cured a shin splint issue that was creeping up on me.

Rickk

9/23/13 2:02 PM

Sales of minimalist running shoes slipping

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/rise+fall+minimalist+running+shoe/8946196/story.html

http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=90431

Reply to topic    

ErikS

9/23/13 6:25 PM

I have cut back on using them but I have been running more. Up to 20k a week with short tri in November with my son, he is swimming and I am riding and running as a team.

I am shooting for the Columbia SC Marathon on March 8th. Lot of bricks ahead for me.

Jesus Saves

9/24/13 9:34 AM

Other than running on a beach, I would not do it. The risks are much greater than the rewards. Consider stress fractures and punctures among other considerations.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -