HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cheapskate Bluetooth reconsidered

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
daddy-o

4/8/13 11:20 AM

Cheapskate Bluetooth reconsidered

Now that I'm less likely to lose the device, I've decided to make the plunge into a higher sound quality (expensive) Bluetooth earpiece.

Any suggestions?

The Plantronics Voyager Legend appears to be a winner, but the boom mike is a negative.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

walter

4/8/13 11:28 AM

Voyager HD/Legend

i have the HD, the predecessor to the Legend. and that's after having several other ear-bud designs over the years (including several low-end plantronics, a high-dollar jawbone, and a couple high-dollar blue-ants).

the voyager is the best, and the boom-mic is the reason -- i bought 3 of them. they do twist/fold so they're completely flat. i put one of those foam ear-bud covers over mine, so they're more comfy. it's easy-on/easy-off. great battery life, nice sound, and people can hear you.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/8/13 3:53 PM

Best thing on my iPhone is the earbuds. I just use the new ones with the mic and controls. Works better than any BT I have tried.

I do BT my iPod in my wife's car though. That is a nice feature.

daddy-o

4/8/13 7:48 PM

Earbuds and mic are my favorite too, but the mic rubs on my shirt and bugs some or the callers, one in particular. She has perfect pitch, who am I to argue?

No pairing, instant on, both ears, fantastic battery life. I wish I could use BT while it's charging.

One thing about my phone, a Nokia Windows phone, sometimes when I'm using the GPS a text message will come in and I'll let the phone read it to me over BT. After that the phone freezes hard and needs to be rebooted by holding the button (while driving in an unfamiliar area.) --That doesn't happen with headphones.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

4/8/13 8:55 PM

The newest apple bds have the mic right under my chin and does not seem to hit my collar.

Andy M-S

4/9/13 3:47 AM

WinPhone

daddy-o:

Which Nokia? I have the 820 and haven't had any issues with freezing, but then I don't use BT. If you wear glasses, you could always use a tiny binder clip to hook the supporting the mic to your glasses...

daddy-o

4/9/13 8:14 AM

Nokia 900

I've draped the mic over my glasses in a pinch, I still get reports of background noise, but Ms Perfect Pitch will just have to switch on her signal processing brain circuitry sometimes too.

Machine reading text, or more likely answering text with BT, while on GPS is the only situation where it might freeze. It does voice recognition server side, FWIW. It's also possible I was listening to music at the same time, but the music didn't stop. Triple duty. (Some of the machine interpretations of voice crack me up, very rude. Definitely check before sending!)

Freezes only happened twice, many months apart. But driving in traffic, GPS freezes and you don't notice for a minute, then the screen doesn't respond, the button doesn't display the turn-off message. A real hard freeze. Plus this time it didn't store the incoming text (the one with the suite #) and my reply, but they were received and sent. --Not a big deal considering the overall reliability of this phone vs every other one I directly know of, including the Apples.

Andy M-S

4/9/13 9:03 AM

S/N

There will always be noise along with the signal. Unless you want to throw down some big bucks and get a throat mike. I don't know how well those work, but I have seen them available for cell phones, and (but for the $) I've been tempted.

Hmmm. Looking around, it looks like they've gotten cheaper. Might be worth a try.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -