CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

OT : What mail client do you use (WinBlows)
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DPotter

4/8/13 6:35 AM

OT : What mail client do you use (WinBlows)

Any suggestions?

TIA

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/8/13 8:13 AM

Outlook

I have been using MSOutlook since Outlook 98. It's a do-everything product which may be more than some (many) people need, but it works well for me.

It's been the mail client of choice almost everywhere I've worked, but I should point out that I started using it back when I was working in rather chaotic software house that let us use what we wanted, and most folks were running Eudora. I liked Outlook then because it replaced a weird combination of Eudora and Windows Calendar (IIRC).

I'm using Outlook 2010 both at home and at work, and like it very much.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Dave B

4/8/13 8:28 AM

I'm using Windows Live Mail as that is what came with our Windows 7 OS and replaced Outlook Express. It does what I need.

Steve B.

4/8/13 8:48 AM

G-Mail and Google Calender.

Platform agnostic.

SB

Reply to topic    

Matthew Currie

4/8/13 9:01 AM

I don't have any webmail accounts, just the same old POP address I've had for years and years. Thunderbird seems to work all right for me. Away from home my isp provides a webmail service that picke it up, and although it's a bit clumsy it works well enough.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/8/13 9:16 AM

Another note--

Outlook is my preferred desktop client for my too-numerous accounts. Away from home I use my phone or the web clients to talk to the accounts.

I should also note that if it were not free for me, I might be tempted to try something else, but as long as it works well, I already have it, and it's free...I'm going to stick with it.

Andy M-S

4/8/13 9:18 AM

Another note--

dp. Nothing to see here.

dan emery

4/8/13 9:36 AM

Outlook here

I have it on my office network, and all my mail also goes to my iPhone and iPad, and my laptop can remotely operate the office desktop. No problems. The tech guy set all that up, don't ask me how.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

4/8/13 10:04 AM

Gmail/Chrome.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/8/13 11:10 AM

Outlook, Outlook Express.

Gmail is great, but the price is too high. I.e. they read your mail.

People would never stand for a free government service that benevolently intrudes on their life as much as Google.

If I can't find something on DuckDuckGo then I'll use Google.

Andy M-S

4/8/13 11:49 AM

Speaking of Google

Not entirely unrelated.

For the past few years, I've been running FireFox with an ad blocking program. Consequently, I hardly ever see advertising from my home machine. Had the same setup at my day job, but we recently rebuilt everything and I haven't yet gotten around to setting up ad blocking.

The result is so much NOISE that it amazes me that anyone ever gets anything done on the web! And so much of it is targeted advertising (nothing for down-tube shifters, but lots of Tubus rack ads).

I know it's not just Google, but I'm getting into my mind to use some anonymizers...this is just making me nervous.

walter

4/8/13 11:54 AM

thunderbird

it works, easy to move my complete setup to a new machine when the time comes to upgrade hardware. searchable folders. etc.

Nick Payne

4/8/13 4:01 PM

Another vote for Thunderbird. With it, it's trivially easy to move my mail between Linux desktop, Windows desktop, and Windows laptop. And the same when I upgrade or re-install a machine.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/13 4:59 PM

+1 on Thunderbird, and the Lightning Calender add-in for quite a while for me and happy with it. Not totally nuts about how it handles a IMAP account, but figured a work around the error saving to sent on IMAP server...

Brian Nystrom

4/9/13 5:14 AM

Add another...

...Thunderbird and Lightning devotee to the list. Works great!

"Thunderbird and Lightning...very, very frightening..."
(My apologies to Queen) ;-)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/13 12:03 PM

At least to didn't type 'GALILEO, GALILEO" really high pitched.

Or did you sing it out loud when you typed it?? ;)

Steve B.

4/10/13 6:50 PM

"Gmail is great, but the price is too high. I.e. they read your mail.

People would never stand for a free government service that benevolently intrudes on their life as much as Google. "

Well, no that's not really the case.

This is the same old saw implying that Google has a warehouse full of folks "reading" e-mails. They don't. They scan e-mails looking for links to advertising they can push to you. That's a huge difference and works just like a spam filter essentially. You can opt out of a lot of this, though I do find it annoying that when I do a web search (on Google) for New Balance shoes, every website I visit for a while in Chrome pushes New Balance stuff, so I know they're watching. Same as Verizon does on my cell phone. Same as when they track traffic via an EZ-Pass on the windsheild.

And I've yet to find any "free" government service that works as well as Google. FWIW, Google has been the most spam free e-mail I've ever used.

Reply to topic    

April

4/10/13 9:13 PM

quote:
This is the same old saw implying that Google has a warehouse full of folks "reading" e-mails. They don't. They scan e-mails looking for links to advertising they can push to you. That's a huge difference and works just like a spam filter essentially.

I'm not entirely sure that's how a spam filter works. If it is, why am I still getting so many spams to grow my penis???

In any case, some would consider "links to advertising they can push" too high of price to pay still. If my neighbor is listening in on my phone calls, is it less objective when I'm just using that phone ordering for pizza delivery?

Nick Payne

4/10/13 9:26 PM

quote:
though I do find it annoying that when I do a web search (on Google) for New Balance shoes, every website I visit for a while in Chrome pushes New Balance stuff, so I know they're watching

Just install a few browser extensions like adblock, flashblock, ghostery.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/10/13 10:24 PM

"They scan e-mails looking for..."

Steve, dude, you just described how Google reads email, and you even added purpose.

No way do I think they have humans reading mail. How many levels of management would that involve? Air conditioning? Bathrooms? COMPUTERS? That would be like the proverbial warehouses of monkeys typing to compose Shakespeare's next act. The definition of inefficient wrapped around a dense core of impossible.

Google reads your email and searches, period. You said so yourself. That's how they make money, for now.

What I do NOT like is a private company selling a synopsis of my private correspondence and internet wanderings with no restrictions. What is the limit to how finely grained of a synopsis they will sell? Perhaps a literal synopsis, i.e. a copy of what you write and where you go. Is it like an employer being able to read email because they provide the facilities (management, bathrooms, air conditioning, computers, etc) and pay you for your production? Or is it "we provide you with something really cool in exchange for your privacy?"

Is it in the realm of possibility that Google sells services beyond advertising? They certainly have the tools and resources to be hired investigators.

As for free government resources, there are no free government resources, you pay for them even if you don't use them. Not that I'm complaining, it's nice to know they're there.

daddy-o

4/13/13 8:03 AM

Third party cookies, long on information, short on paranoia

Between individual advertisers and big analytics firms there are plenty of parties keeping track of your browsing. They keep the records on your hard drive. You are in control of the records, if not the analysis and distribution.

Firefox plans to block third party cookies by default in an upcoming version (v.22, currently they are on v.20)

Third party cookies are set by content providers when a website you visit allows a third party to display some content, like an advertisement. The content could even be as small as a single pixel in the corner. The third party pays the website for the privilege. The third party's clients pay for the analytical service. They analyze your web surfing.

Just like a newspaper, you can ignore the ads all you want. Unlike a newspaper, the ads do not ignore you.

This is a link to Mozilla's platform-independent instructions for disabling or otherwise changing how Firefox handles third party cookies:
http://mzl.la/LJ2aMK

Just as a quick exercise, open the "delete individual cookies" option, delete all your cookies with the button at the bottom, but leave your settings the same otherwise, leave the option window open, then visit cyclingnews.com and switch back real quick to the option window and watch the cookies being written to your system.

That's how they make money, that's how we get all this free stuff. It's the little one-pixel jobbers that get me.

Sparky

4/13/13 12:20 PM

A web site I goto a lot is the worst. I have the usual ad-in mainly for that site. Considering I am using my phone for my ISP, metering is an issue. Why pay for bandwidth that help the machine and not me.

I do not talk about these ad-ins in forum there. Mods will kill those threads fast as a Patriot Missile [when you care enough to send the very best].

I understand, having chatted with the owner on the hardware costs alone. Huge user flow user there... Ghostery gets indigestion when I visit the site.

I also use a flash/ FLH block with few sites in the white list, used ad-block for forever, yadi ya....

RCoapman

4/15/13 3:01 PM

FYI- Tbird is no longer in development

But stability fixes will be coming for a while.

http://www.zdnet.com/mozilla-scraps-thunderbird-development-email-client-not-a-priority-anymore-7000000469/

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/16/13 5:06 AM

That was 9 months ago...

...and I haven't noticed any lack of development on T-bird in the interim, which makes me wonder if the post is true.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

4/16/13 8:38 AM

https://blog.mozilla.org/beyond-the-code/2012/07/09/about-the-future-of-thunderbird/

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -