Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Tire comments/review?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

4/3/13 4:16 PM

Tire comments/review?

Got some 25C Rubino Pros from PBK. $22.00 a piece.

As compared to the 25C Conti 4KS they are smaller.
The 25C Conti on the 7801-SLs is 2mm bigger. I put the Rubino 25c on the A23 which are a little wider rim than the Shimanos. so definitely a bit smaller.

The Rubino have a really nice ride. I like so far, well 15 miles quickie test ride...

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

4/4/13 6:26 PM

Different approach

I'll practice thread economy here.

Time to take the studs off my Tout Terrain commuter, and I've decided to do a little fiddlin' and diddlin' (Rick and Pete may recognize the Johnny Most reference) with tire selection. I've used 26x 2" Schwalbe Expeditions in warm weather, they are fine but haven't really knocked me out with their ride. I'm interested in the wide, light, supple approach advanced by Jan Heine (Andy's favorite bicycle theorist), so I just ordered some Compass 26x1.75s. These seem to me pretty light for the size, 440g, but more important to me, are billed as supple and smooth. Heine believes the width adds flat resistance, even for light tires, and I don't ride over real rough stuff (roads and some light trails). I remember Clement Elvezia sewups of about the same weight. The tires won't last forever, but that's OK.

So we'll see if I get a Limo ride from these! If they don't work I can always put the Schwalbes back on.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

4/5/13 6:40 AM

Rubino

I have 700-23 Rubino Pros and Rubino Pro Slicks on two bikes and have been very pleased with their durability, flat resistance and ride.

Mine measure and actual 24 mm in width installed on both Mavic CXP-33 rims and a pair of Shimano WH-R560 wheels so, unlike most other tires, they are actually wider than their nominal size.

I also have a pair of Vittoria Randonneur tires on a Surly Pacer that are listed as 700-28 but actually measure 26 mm wide as installed on road rims so not all of their tires are bigger than stated.

Andy M-S

4/5/13 7:15 AM

Vittoria Randonneur 28

I recently picked up a set of these in wire bead cheap/slightly used from the iBOB list. I haven't mounted them yet, but for 28mm tires they certainly look narrow. The tread also seems very, very thick (at least compared to Pasela TGs).

dan emery

4/5/13 7:26 AM

28s

I've got Grand Bois Cerf 28s (listed as actual 29, though I haven't measured) on my road bike for the early season, man do I love those.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

4/5/13 9:13 AM

Randonneur

Yeah, as I mentioned the Randonneurs are a bit narrower than advertised and rather heavy at just under 500 grams but they are RUGGED. After numerous flats on Nashbar's "Comfort" tires in the same size and type, I installed the Randonneurs and haven't had a flat in well over 1000 miles of riding in the rain, salt and on gravel trails.

Vittoria also sells a Randonneur Pro that is Kevlar beaded and significantly lighter but a lot more expensive.

Kramer

4/5/13 1:05 PM

Ruffy Tuffy?

Anyone tried the Panaracer / Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy 28s?

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/t104.htm

Looking for a wider smooth rolling tire that can see some gravel from time to time.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/5/13 1:07 PM

The Rubino Pro looks like it would take gravel better than the 4Ks, until you wear them down to a slick I guess.

EDIT:

I ran Pasella non TG with a belt flat thing between the tire and tube. I never flatted with them in a few years of use. The Rubino tread kind of reminds me of a Pasella with a lot less rubber on it to look at it.
The Pasellas I had where 35C, and I got tired [no pun intended] of spinning them up hills, especially that hill in my last mile of commute on the way home from the LBS. 500 ft elevation in 1.2 miles. I swapped them out of lighter wheels and the 28C GP4s and liked the feel a lot better and sold them on the Trek when I let it go... FWIW

Last edited by Sparky on 4/5/13 1:33 PM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

4/5/13 1:25 PM

Ruffy Tuffy

I'd argue that the Pasela TG does a reasonable job here, but YMMV.

dan emery

4/5/13 1:54 PM

wider smoother

As mentioned, I love the Grand Bois 28s and I wouldn't hesitate to ride them on gravel occasioanally (though they are a road tire). Smooth like an old Seta del Mondo. The 26s are great as well.

If you can go to 32 the GB Cypres are excellent. There's now a Cypres "Extra Leger," 700x32, 232g., that I'd love to try (albeit at $85 a pop, yikes!), but I don't use that size road tire very often so I'll restrain myself.

Reply to topic    

bikerjohnpostal

4/6/13 6:37 AM

Grand bois Cypess

The cypres are great tires! I have them on my road bike and for instance I did a paved and dirt road ride yesterday. It was about 30% gravel. These tires are just right for that. Also last year I did 100 mile dirt road ride and they performed extremely well!

Also, in the latest bicycle quarterly there a 25 pages of tire review, tests, and data. Very very good stuff.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/6/13 7:20 AM

Bicycle Quarterly

quote:
Also, in the latest bicycle quarterly there a 25 pages of tire review, tests, and data. Very very good stuff.

I have no doubt that the Cypres is a great tire, but it's kind of out of my price range :-(.

[RANT]

And this is also where I kind of have an issue with the very knowledgeable Jan (see Dan's comment, supra ). Bicycle Quarterly = Jan = Compass Bicycles, the last of which is (to the best of my knowledge) the primary outlet for Grand Bois tires in the US.

I have similar issues with Grant Peterson, but I think it's clearer that the Rivendell Reader is (was?) an extension of Rivendell/Grant and his preferences.

Rationally, I think that Jan's tests are about as even-handed as you can get, but still...there's a little non-rational part of my mind that says "hold it just a minute," (I grew up reading MAD , so I tend to be skeptical.)

I buy and read Bicycle Quarterly because it seems for the most part to be about the kind of riding I aspire to do, and the kind of bikes I lke, but at the same time it has the same "last 5%" mentality that Buycycling has (or had, the last time I read it). That is, how do we maximize performance? For me, that's not what riding is about. If it was, I'd likely buy a recumbent and be done with it.

[/RANT]

Suffice it to say that I value this place because of the diverse perspectives I encounter and the fact that none of us really has a commercial interest in the things we discuss. Not rational, but true.

dan emery

4/6/13 8:30 AM

I don't worry about bias in testing

because I pay no attention to testing. I'd be dozing off halfway through the first of those 25 pages. I pay attention to whether the design/intention makes sense to me; whether I think it is a quality product; and subjective, anecdotal impressions (that's just for you engineers!). If I buy a crappy cycling product it's not the end of the world (last truly crappy purchase I recall was a Campy Croce d'Aune Gruppo, but that was one for the ages).

Reply to topic    

Dave B

4/6/13 3:50 PM

More Than That

quote:
.....but at the same time it has the same "last 5%" mentality that Buycycling has......

Yes it still does have an emphasis on maximizing performance but mostly by trying to get its readers to buy overpriced drinks and energy bars of questionable benefits backed by some very iffy nutritional "science" and to ride super high line ($$$) equipment.

Every issue seems to have one article worth the time to read and the rest is advertising (both paid and editorial) and fluff.

Nick Payne

4/8/13 2:01 AM

I have the Grand Bois 700x30 on one of my bikes, and we also use them on our Co-Motion tandem. Very little noticeable speed penalty compared to a racing tyre, but noticeably more comfortable. And with the way the Japanese yen is going, they're actually getting quite affordable. I buy my Grand Bois tyres direct from Grand Bois in Japan, six or eight at a time, which works out almost 50% cheaper than the pricing from the only shop I know of in Australia that stocks them. My favourite Grand Bois tyre that I use is their Hetre 650bx42, which at ~400g is surprisingly light for a tyre that size, and as it only needs to be inflated to 45-50psi, you float over virtually any sort of crap road surface.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

4/8/13 5:27 AM

On a slightly different matter

I've been looking for tires to make the 'cross bike more suitable for rougher terrain. Specifically, what I want is 700c knobbies with a folding bead in the 38-45mm range. Does such a thing exist?

Reply to topic    

Brian Kelly

4/8/13 7:00 AM

bigger cx tires

Brian- There are a few out there. Bontrager makes a 38c in their CX0 model

http://bontrager.com/model/09090

Kenda Happy Medium 40c
http://www.kendatire.com/en/home/bicycle/cyclocross/happy-medium.aspx

Clement X'Plor MSO 40c
http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso

Ritchey Speedmax 40c
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=98784

Continental XKing 42c
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/cross/CycloXKing/CycloXKing_en.html

and Speed 42c
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/cross/cyclocross_speed/cyclocross_speed_en.html

Those are the ones that come to mind right away. I'm just bummed because I can't fit most of those between the chainstays on my cx bike. I tried getting at 38c WTB Pathway (more of a mixed/hybrid tire) back there and it wouldn't clear the stays. Happily I can get the 42c IRC Mythos (now discontinued) in the fork with no problem.

dan emery

4/8/13 4:00 PM

One thing for Mr. Heine

He gets orders out fast. I ordered late Thurs nite, delivered today. Won't get them on until the weekend, but should be fun to ride. I think these 26 x 1.75s (44), 440g, are essentially the same as Nick's Hertres.

I don't read BQ, but too bad I didn't read all this thread before ordering, I could have got some of that miracle nutrition stuff!

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/8/13 4:44 PM

Bigger off road 700C.

I had Pana Fire-CX 45C on the Trekenstein 730, sold it with. I could not use the granny on the triple when I had them on. the chain would catch the edge of the outer knobs...

That frame had a lot of clearance:

Brian Nystrom

4/9/13 5:09 AM

Thanks for the links, Brian

I don't know how I missed that many tires options; I guess I must be getting senile. I'll definitely check them out and ultimately buy a pair of one or the other.

Sparky, I've seen pics of those online but didn't realize that they were still available. Thanks for the tip about the inner ring. The Pinarello frame has plenty of clearance, but I just installed a FSA Gossamer triple crank - run as a 30x39 double with a bashguard in place of the outer ring - so I may run into the same issue you had with something that wide. I do like the Fire XCs on the mountain bike, so it's a shame that they're not likely to work. I think I'll try something in the 40-42mm range.

BTW, the SRAM XO 2x10 front derailleur I installed works nicely with this crank setup and Campy levers. The only thing I needed to do was to install a longer outer stop screw, due to the chainline being shifted somewhat inward compared to 2x10 crank on a mountain bike.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

4/9/13 11:50 AM

I actually like to talk about bike stuff. ;)

The only problem I had with not using the granny was kind of funny. The tires gripped so well, but with a 36-30 as the lowest gear I would have to get out of the saddle on steep stuff. If it was a narrow trail with no passing spots, I would climb over the 6er in front of me in his/her granny. So I would get p to the back of the 6er in front, and then have to track stand for a sec. to let some space get between us so I could pedal again. Actually worked for me... ;)

If I actually do have Carl make me an all-rounder frame, it will have room enough for more of these. ;)
Cush and grip like a CX tire just can't approach IMO.

They are pricey little bastages. I was lucky enough to get a set shipped hardly used off eBay for 32.00.

Last edited by Sparky on 4/9/13 12:51 PM; edited 1 time in total

Andy M-S

4/9/13 12:41 PM

Talking about bike stuff is fun...

...but less so when the person you're talking with is a member of the OTC* school of cycling.

*OTC = One True Church.

dan emery

4/14/13 9:06 AM

Summer tires on

Got the studded Hakkas off the commuting bike, put the new summer tires (Compass 26x1.l75", 440 g) on, and took a spin. I like these a lot. Roll great, feel lively, eat up bumps, RR tracks, etc. You still feel potholes, but smaller stuff is dealt with very nicely. Haven't had the old summer tires on in awhile (Schwalbe Expedition 1.9s), but I think the Compass feel smoother and quicker. Definitely give me a couple gears vs. the Hakkas.

These are made by Panaracer, I suspect these are the same as the Grand Bois Hertres, but in 26 rather than 650B.

Say what you will about Mr. Heine, life on his tires is good!

Reply to topic    

greglepore

4/23/13 3:27 PM

Grand Bois Japan

Do they have an English version of the website?

Sparky

4/23/13 3:30 PM

Have a look see here: http://www.compasscycle.com/tires.html

Maybe we can work out a volume purchase @ wholesale? Anyone interested, I will do the leg work.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -