Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Grand Canyon ??
 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

3/15/13 9:26 PM

Grand Canyon ??

We are going to Dallas / Ft Worth for my nieces' wedding July. Just a 2-3 day visit at most, so we are thinking on the way back maybe either Grand Canyon or San Fran for a few days. We stopped SF on the way back from LA in the foggy season recently. Like to see over a few clear days, instead of a one afternoon visit. ;) Or the Grand Canyon maybe.

Where to you fly into to see the Grand Canyon? Any clues and or info appreciated.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Steve B.

3/16/13 6:52 AM

Your choice to fly to:

- Phoenix (240 miles) and drive up, stopping in Sedona and Flagstaff

- Albuquerque (400 miles) and drive over, stopping in Acoma Indian Rez., then maybe thru Painted Desert and Meteor Crater to Flagstaff and north to GC, or up thru the Navajo and Hopi reservations (Canyon de Chelly), then up to the rim from the east.

- or Las Vegas (275 miles), not much to see unless you like LV and always wanted to see the Hoover Dam.

These are the 3 major airport. You can puddle jump into Flagstaff and save the driving.

July will be busy at the south rim, so plan ahead to find lodging int he vicinity.

My preference is ABQ to GC to LV as you get to see the desert.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/16/13 7:10 PM

North rim?

The north rim is a nice visit though a bit more out of the way. It's 1000 feet higher and so cooler in the hot months. A lot less crowded plus you can stop at Colorado City and gawk at the polygamists :)

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

3/17/13 9:53 AM

Going there a second time but instead as an adult put the early human encounters with the terrain in perspective. I'm talking the people who had no idea, real explorers. They struggled along crossing gulch after gulch, then came to the freaking Grand Canyon.

The sky (horizon) was blacker at night in '75 too. You really do have to travel a long long way to get away from light pollution. Hey Forum astronomers, any suggestions where to go in the continental US for a really dark sky?

Brian Nystrom

3/17/13 1:22 PM

When we were in Utah last year...

...we heard that a common trip was to visit Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and the North Rim, which are all in the same (relative) neighborhood. Our ride took us to Bryce and Zion, which are worth the trip. I haven't been to the north rim, but I have been to the south rim and either way, the Grand Canyon is something you need to experience firsthand in order to get a true impression of the sheer scale of the place. Words and pictures simply don't do it justice.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/17/13 6:48 PM

Dark sky

quote:
any suggestions where to go in the continental US for a really dark sky?

Yup. Northwest lower Michigan (north of Harbor Springs) is actually designated a dark sky area.

quote:
visit Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park and the North Rim

That's what we did and had a GREAT trip. If you get to Zion be sure to bring river sandals and hike the Virgin River. It's an experience you will NEVER forget. We spent a day in Bryce, a day in Zion, and a day on the North Rim. We hiked a lot each day. And like I said we got to learn about Colorado City which was a trip all by itself.

Reply to topic    

Doug

3/18/13 10:54 AM

Dark Sky

Try Death Valley. Once you get 5-6 miles away from Furnace Creek and it's resort complex. The "dark" will overwhelm you. Also, your first real unfettered look at the Milky Way. I've ridden for miles without using my lights under the glow of all those stars. A genuine mind-boggler!
YMMV
-dg

Reply to topic    

Doug

3/18/13 10:55 AM

Dark Sky

"general server error" ?

Reply to topic    

sandiway

3/18/13 3:53 PM

re: Hoover Dam

Hoover Dam is cool. In terms of world ranking, it's pretty low down but it's beautiful.

They built a bypass for US 93 now; no more does US 93 run along the top of the dam for security reasons. US 93 runs along a concrete bridge that took more years to build than the Hoover Dam itself. Go figure.

I recently went there and it's refreshing to walk along the dam top without tons of traffic. Took some nice pics.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

3/18/13 6:40 PM

Hoover tour

And if you're into technology at all, the Hoover Dam tour is a great experience.

Reply to topic    

Smunderdog

3/18/13 6:43 PM

Hadn't heard that Sandiway - that they don't let you drive over the top anymore. Bummer...

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/18/13 7:13 PM

The new bridge is breath taking. It is named for Pat Tilman. You won't be disappointed.

Sparky

3/18/13 7:19 PM

I just googled the bridge. Wow, what a view all that much higher than the dam, including [of course] the view of the dam...

Sparky

3/18/13 7:49 PM

DP

sandiway

3/19/13 3:19 AM

some pics

The tour...

The new bridge as seen from the dam.

The dam as seen from the walkway of the new bridge:

Reply to topic    

Dave B

3/19/13 10:09 AM

Still Tour?

Do they still let you tour the dam's interior? We were there in 1967 well, before the bridge was even thought of, and the highway still crossed the top of the dam. Tours into the interior and the generator floor were easy then but I didn't know they still allow them for security reasons.

Dave B

3/19/13 10:09 AM

Still Tour?

Do they still let you tour the dam's interior? We were there in 1967 well, before the bridge was even thought of, and the highway still crossed the top of the dam. Tours into the interior and the generator floor were easy then but I didn't know they still allow them for security reasons.

sandiway

3/19/13 12:04 PM

yeah

The tours are still on. I did it last week. My 2nd time. Pick a Monday and the place is serene.

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/19/13 12:28 PM

How long is the tour?

Sparky

3/19/13 12:28 PM

DP

sandiway

3/19/13 1:02 PM

length

IIRC there are two different tours, one is 45 mins and the other is about an hour. It's always great to walk in the tunnels...

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

JohnC

3/19/13 1:08 PM

Cool pics, Sandiway. In the shot from the bridge, the bathtub ring on the reservoir is quite dramatic. I think Lake Mead is currently more than 100 feet below the maximum level, and holding less than half its water capacity.

Sparky

3/19/13 1:14 PM

And what else interesting in in proximity?

April

3/19/13 1:36 PM

quote:
And what else interesting in in proximity?

Grand Canyon?

April

3/19/13 1:36 PM

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -