HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Lynskey low priced ti frames

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dfcas

2/27/13 6:44 PM

Lynskey low priced ti frames

Starting at $1100 for a US made ti frame. Its not clear where the tubeset is sourced, but I would assume its not USA although honestly I have no idea:). Its the Silver series.

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

2/27/13 6:59 PM

Looks like Mark @ habcycles has some competition there. Got to be made in China...

All 3 of the road varieties seem well multi purpose thought out...

EDIT:
Some browsing seems to suggest made in TN.

SteveS

2/27/13 7:38 PM

Tennessee?

Kind of rumor, kind of what I remember reading...

The Lynskey family started Litespeed long ago. Sold it to ABG(?) and once their noncompete expired got back into the cycling market. The family started in the titanium market for defense/manufacturing rather than frame building. Probably still have the contacts to acquire tubing from sources that may not be readily available to some builders.

...check your facts as this is just what I recall.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/27/13 7:43 PM

did I give the impression I thought 'seems to suggest' was a fact? ;)

Dave B

2/27/13 9:38 PM

SteveS, your "rumor" is fact. The Lynskey family actually started in the Ti fabrication business doing defense and aerospace manufacture and branched out into the Ti bike frame business using their manufacturing expertise. They did sell out to ABG and, have gotten back into the Ti bike business under their own name, apparently after the non-compete agreement expired.

They certainly have sources for Ti tubing not available to less connected builders.

BTW, Litespeed has deemphasized Ti in it's product line and has gotten heavily into carbon so maybe they aren't as bothered by the Lynskeys venture as they would have been in the past. [/list][/i]

mag7

2/27/13 10:53 PM

The wrench at my LBS ordered a Lynskey.
Next to my Seven, other than the decals, the build quality (welds, etc) compared very favorably at least from my untrained eye.
Also worth mentioning, Lynskey offers deep discounts to LBS desiring to order demo bikes.
I think the discount was/is 50% off SRP.
Worth asking your LBS if they would pass that along plus their markup.

While on that topic, soon to be American made rims from Velocity also has a very liberal dealer demo policy.

The A23 is a good box rim and if you want bling they offer a nice looking decal kit.
I ride the Chukkers with is a high spoke count, wide box, deep V rim....heavy, but stiff for my wide box butt!

dfcas

2/28/13 8:31 AM

I'm a little confused by the similar geometry of the Siver bikes. The 2 "road" bikes both have 42.5 chainstays and relatively slack head angles. The light touring has a lower bottom bracket and takes medium reach brakes, but has a steeper head angle in my size. All the bikes are similar, and none seem very roady.

I do wonder if they are going to offer a cross version, since I like big tire clearance. I have a Poprad and a Bailey Miniluv cross bike, so I do have a cross bike fetish. I'd like to get down to 1 cross/utility bike, but I like them both and adding a Lynskey seems to make no sense. Maybe I could then choose and end up with 1.

My Calfee road bike should be back from the painter in a week or so, but I'm not sure I'm gonna build it up. Since a bad winter 3-4 years ago, our roads are crap, the state has no budget to repair them, and I just don't enjoy skinny tores on rough roads anymore. It will fit 28's, so I may go that route.

dan emery

2/28/13 10:14 AM

Stop Making Sense!

>>but I like them both and adding a Lynskey seems to make no sense<<

Makes perfect sense to me!

About a month I get my Crosshairs back. New frame, but since I'm keeping the 531 fork I'm calling it the same bike. Then if I ever have to change the fork the bike becomes the spiritual successor.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/28/13 11:04 AM

I agree the geoms seem askew. The Peleoton seems to have listed the HTA backwards with the Viale to me, purpose and number wise...

Not to mention the frame [Peleton in largest size] with the lowest stand over has the longest HT length. yet the picture does no reflect a HT extension above the TT. Conjecture I know, but...

Dave B

2/28/13 11:25 AM

A call or e-mail to Lynskey should answer the geometry questions and let you know if the specs are in error.

Sparky

2/28/13 12:13 PM

Chat screen Capture:

dddd

2/28/13 1:24 PM

I talked with Mr. Erwin, he confirmed no typo's for the respective size-L frames.
No detailed explanation as to apparent discrepancy, but emphasized these are not built for racers and thought I would be best fitted on the M/L size, (which for me would require a very long stem).

He also mentioned the Peloton being patterned along the lines of a certain Bianchi model, which meant nothing to me however.

These are what they are I guess. Best welds/craftsmanship in the business I have to say.

Would anyone really paint over one of these?

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/28/13 2:14 PM

"Would anyone really paint over one of these?"

Depend on which of these it is, betting on...

Should have asked i guess... Matte Satin for base price?

Sparky

2/28/13 2:55 PM

And I would be wrong"

quote:

On 2/28/2013 12:52 PM, donerwin@lynskeyperformance.dealerspace.com wrote:

actually for at least the first couple of runs the base price includes hand brushed finish. we thought about putting them all out there looking like Moots's but decided the brushed finish looks the nicest, so why not put our best foot forward right out of the gate.

dddd

2/28/13 3:01 PM

Bright-brushed is easily my fave, but I've seen guys who took the factory polished version and went from there with Simichrome, quite stunning.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -