HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

More used bike whining

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Pat Clancy

2/23/13 11:28 AM

More used bike whining

I've been looking for a used MTB to keep at our lake cottage. The cottage is located near a rail trail on which I've enjoyed frequent rides, but I'm tired of hauling my current bike back and forth.

I've previously complained (several times, I think) about the large number of ads on eBay, craigslist, and local papers, that don't include the frame size. A pain to make so many needless phone calls for bikes that don't fit.

But I've also got a complaint/observation: how few mid-level bikes are for sale. I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars and almost everything I find is either a wildly overpriced department store bike or a high end full suspension bike for $1,000+.

Where are the value model rigid steel and aluminum bikes from Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc? I've got to believe there's a zillion of them out there.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

2/23/13 11:51 AM

obvious solution

Leave your current bike at the cottage and buy a new one for fulltime use.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

2/23/13 1:17 PM

The budget is too tight

Maybe you missed my mention some time ago of being forcibly retired last year. I probably shouldn't even be looking at spending a few hundred on yet another bike.

My only hope is that I still have the cursed Co-Motion frame and fork. I tried several times to sell it on eBay and craigslist. I didn't get any interest when I priced it at $400/BO. The shop where I purchased the IF touring bike offered to take it on consignment. If I can get a few hundred for it, I could up my purchase range and maybe consider a new MTB.

April

2/23/13 1:48 PM

quote:
Where are the value model rigid steel and aluminum bikes from Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc? I've got to believe there's a zillion of them out there.

In people's basement, shed, garage waiting for the next ride that will never happen!

The only time they show up on Craigs list and eBay is when they're clearing out their storage space, moving, died, divorced! Those are the same $200 without size and lacking other detail ones.

I would think with eBay or Craigslist, you can simply fire off a form e-mail with questions for model name, size and photos to quickly narrow down the list?

The best source in my opinion, is bike clubs! If there's a mtn bike club, try posting a WTB ad? Just don't forget to specify size! I see that a lot in my local club and they oftne end up with one for free or a symbolic payment from real rider who's getting rid of their long unused bikes.

That said, I personally still ride my first hard tail mtn bike from perhaps a few times a year instead of selling it for $100-200. That's your problem. If such bike is still in working condition, it's usually because the owner still uses it as a spare/guest bike. And the ones sat unused are also not being sold, because the owner had totally forgotten about it!!!

JohnC

2/23/13 1:49 PM

When Spring comes, spend a Saturday or two driving or riding around neighborhoods looking for tag sales. That's where I've made finds like that.

Tom Price

2/23/13 2:18 PM

Bikes Direct

Bikes direct has new mountain bikes starting at $269 w/free shipping and no tax.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mountain_bikes.htm

dan emery

2/23/13 2:28 PM

bike swap

Well I was just kidding about buying a new bike.

Is there a group around you that does a bike swap? If not, come up to Portland in late April and you might find one here:

http://www.bikemaine.org/events/great-maine-bike-swap

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

2/23/13 3:19 PM

Start to make a bike ride loop that goes by your local Goodwill / Thrift stores. Take your lock. Sooner or later you'll get lucky and be able to lock your purchase outside while you go straight home to get your car. Some people would even consider ferrying the bike home on their shoulder and rolling with one hand on each handlebar.

I agree completely about CL sizing - I think the sellers are simply clueless.

Happy hunting

Dave B

2/23/13 3:40 PM

WTB AD?

Post a WTB (want to buy) ad on Craigslist or on the board at a couple of local bike shops describing what you want and specify the frame size. Let them e-mail or call you.

DPotter

2/23/13 4:19 PM

Dude, seriously

quote:
A high end bike at the time, and what a time it was! A steel hard tail is your go to trail/commuter/tourer for years to come. 17" $200"!

http://veloeverybody.blogspot.com/

You need to come up to Maine and we'll go visit this guy. He's got bikes out the wazoo.

Bring the truck, we'll load you up!

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/23/13 5:11 PM

yeah do it

I'll go too!

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

2/24/13 8:45 AM

The Univega looks like it might be right for you

It's near the bottom of the list, for $175.

On your way up to Maine, there's a guy in Milford, NH that sells used bikes out of his garage and driveway, spring through fall. Once he's up and running this year, I'll be happy to ride by and get you some info.

Reply to topic    

Brian Kelly

2/24/13 6:39 PM

That Univega looks like it was the next step up from my first "good" mtb. I still have it (rode it today actually), though it has gotten some updates since then. Solid bike with a decent frame.

Pat Clancy

2/24/13 6:54 PM

Pass on the Univega

Sorry, I know it's an irrational bias, but I had a bad experience with a Univega 10 sp road bike years ago. It was probably a bottom end dept. store bike and I'm sure upscale models are better, but I associate the name with bad times.

dan emery

2/24/13 7:37 PM

Not so fast

I never owned one, but Univega made lots of good bikes. My LBS used to sell them back in the old days. I think there was some history of it being run by a guy who actually liked bikes.

One story I like. The owner of the shop in the early 80s was Christopher Igleheart, now a frame builder. He was a friend of Chris Chance. One time Chance was in Portland and a bunch of us went for a mountain bike ride. Everyone was riding a Fat Chance except for Chance himself, who was on a shop Univega.

Come on up to Portland and we'll all go through that shop and find something. Used bike shops are cool. When I was recently in Seattle, I rented a bike at Recycled Cycles, which is an awesome place.

Reply to topic    

dddd

2/25/13 8:52 PM

"Start to make a bike ride loop that goes by your local Goodwill / Thrift stores. Take your lock. Sooner or later you'll get lucky and be able to lock your purchase outside while you go straight home to get your car. Some people would even consider ferrying the bike home on their shoulder and rolling with one hand on each handlebar."

I hit the Goodwill store regularly for a 4 minute dash through the ailes.

I've brought many bikes home from there, almost all of them ghost-ridden home with (or without) air in the tires.
This is the place that sells a good bike for $20-40.

And at night, just before closing, I can roll my own bike in for a minute, so no need for a lock. I'm heading there now.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

2/26/13 7:21 AM

quote:
And at night, just before closing, I can roll my own bike in for a minute, so no need for a lock. I'm heading there now.

Don't shop there too long or you may come back to find they sold your bike for $20!

dddd

2/26/13 11:48 PM

Their customers try to buy my bikes all the time!

The folks at Salvation Army have at times insisted that I bring my (restored) bike inside, since even their own bikes have been stolen from their outside display area just outside the front doors.

It literally happens almost every time, someone wants to know how much is the bike leaning against the shopping cart cage railing?
I take it as a compliment, and am happy to tell them, when appropriate, that I bought the bike there. But there is that look of disappointment, followed by the "I guess I should have known" look (what they sometimes actually say).
The store clerks seem to get a kick out of it, leading customers to think that they might find a similarly fully-restored bike there for sale next time.

Someday my bike will get mistakenly sold at someone's garage sale that I'm shopping at.

Reply to topic    

Pat Clancy

2/28/13 7:21 AM

Bianchi Osprey?

I found a Bianchi Osprey on craigslist. It seems like a good deal but I know nothing about the Osprey model. Any comments good or bad?

Brian Kelly

2/28/13 8:35 AM

bikepdia

I can't provide any personal info on the bike, but you can try searching bikepedia to try and nail down the model year and specs. I've done that a few times, and it's helped determine that a bike was older or younger than the listing stated.

Andy M-S

2/28/13 11:53 AM

Osprey

It's a mid-to-low-priced non-suspension bike (AFAICS) and I've had good luck with Bianchis over the years...I would say if (1) it fits and (2) it's a good deal then (3) go for it. You're going to mess around with components & c. in any event, no? :-)

JohnC

2/28/13 12:08 PM

From a quick look at bikepedia, it looks like they switched from a steel frame to aluminum in 1998, and also upgraded components, and the price bumped from 5-600 to over 900. So you can figure out the age, roughly, from that. Either way, the quoted price or a little lower seems like a good deal if it's in good shape AND it fits you. Doesn't look like the listing mentions size.

dddd

2/28/13 1:32 PM

The older steel Osprey's were really nice (and nicely painted) full-rigid, lugged bikes with highest-level Exage (500 series iir) componentry.
I sold one to my cousin, it was a very good 21 speed bike imo.
The upper-level Exage gruppo and the single-walled rims weren't quite race-level parts, but it did carry a QR Shimano freehub and looked and rode great.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -