CYCLINGFORUM.COM - Where Cyclists Talk Tech --- Return To Home

Register FAQ'sSearchProfileLog In / Log Out

cyclingforum.com ****

HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

The 'how long should shit last' thread. ;)
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

2/19/13 1:57 PM

The 'how long should shit last' thread. ;)

My fav Jersey finally is trashed.

What and where are the best you can get today? That jersey still looked good, except the little tears at the top of the back pockets, but the zipper blew out after a decade of use. Granted it had some time off when I broke my leg. Not my only one of course...

I like when shit lasts over a decade and more. Like my London Fog Lined Columbo coat. It is like 30 years old and not even tattered around the edges. So I know they can make shit that good. ;)

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

sandiway

2/19/13 2:11 PM

Nothing last forever but it seems to me that the uglier the item of clothing the longer it seems to last

Reply to topic    

dan emery

2/19/13 2:31 PM

Not too long hopefully

Or else my septic tank would be in deep sh........

Reply to topic    

April

2/19/13 3:05 PM

quote:
the uglier the item of clothing the longer it seems to last

LOL!

I'm sure it has nothing to do with your never wearing the said ugly piece of clothing too often?!

Nick Payne

2/19/13 3:10 PM

You should be able to get the zipper replaced for a lot less than the cost of a new jersey. The full length zipper on a favourite long-sleeved jersey started to come apart last year. I bought a replacement nylon coil open end zip for a couple of dollars and took it down the road to a quick tailoring shop who did the zip replacement for $25.

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

2/19/13 3:33 PM

Fabrics, manufacturing techniques, and designs are constantly evolving and generally improving, so I'm not sure that I need clothing to last 10 years.

I prefer to get newer/better stuff after a few years.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/19/13 4:32 PM

My favorite defeat socks lasted 13 years!!!!

Sparky

2/19/13 6:24 PM

"I prefer to get newer/better stuff after a few years."

OK, what and who make better Jerseys and why are they better... what attributes that make them better?

This was a simple 3 deep pocket 3/4 zippered Kestrel Jersey, Aussie I guess was the brand...

dfcas

2/19/13 6:29 PM

I bought some new jerseys this year since all of my older ones seem to have gotten to be too small.... Anyway, the new ones seem much cooler. I believe they breathe much better. I'm never going to put these in a dryer and I bought cheap ones, too.

sanrensho

2/19/13 7:17 PM

quote:
what attributes that make them better?

Better technical fabrics (wicking/breathability/comfort for base layers), selective use of panels with different fabrics, more shaped and tailored cuts.

Outerwear (jackets, booties) has especially evolved with waterproof zippers, welded seams, 2/3-layer waterproof fabrics, etc. Newer gloves are better too.

I won't deny that Defeet woolies and wool Dura gloves are perfectly functional in their current form and do not need to change. I know I love mine.

Last edited by sanrensho on 2/19/13 11:17 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

April

2/19/13 11:15 PM

quote:
Outerwear (jackets, booties) has especially evolved with waterproof zippers, welded seams, 2/3-layer waterproof fabrics, etc.

No point to pay for waterproof if one doesn't plan to ride on rainy days a lot. My jacket isn't even waterproof at all. What's the point iof keeping my body dry f my head and face is going to get wet anyway? (and water will drip through collars anyway).

(I have a rain jacket for hiking and day to day use. I've never use it for riding. For if I expect it to rain enough to need a rain jacket, I wouldn't go out!)

I just don't ride in any difficult weather so my requirement for technical clothing is very low. So yea, my reaction is the same as Sparky's "what's in a jersey beyong 3 pockets and a zipper?" Let me see, my most favorate jersey dates back from 2003, that's 10 years! It's got a small hole when I crashed into a wall but otherwise I love it and it's still going strong! That's my kind of clothing.

Now if we're talking about skiing clothing, that's a different story. Talk about clothing for difficult weather! ;-)

(I also have a Burburry coat from 1984 that's still my all time favorate -- good looking enough I still got asked where I bought it! That's 30 years, talk about top notch workmanship AND STYLE!!! )

lrzipris

2/20/13 10:08 AM

My problem tends to be with me, not the gear. Things fit a little more snug now than they did 10-12 years ago.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

2/20/13 11:55 AM

Improvement

One relatively recent real improvement in jerseys is the use longer and, better yet, full separating zippers. Better ventillation and easier on and off.

sandiway

2/20/13 1:47 PM

Jersey sizing

Jersey sizing has disimproved over the years. Nowadays, jerseys are sized for the "fuller figure", which means annoying flapping in the wind. Whatever happened to jerseys that you had to put on carefully?

Sandiway

Reply to topic    

sanrensho

2/20/13 2:30 PM

The upsizing of clothing in general means that I now look first for XS instead of S.

Last edited by sanrensho on 2/20/13 3:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic    

dddd

2/20/13 2:50 PM

"The upsizing of clothing in general means that I know look first for XS instead of S."

Only with gloves, it seems to work the other way for me. I used to buy medium, now it has to be large.

I luckily bought a second cotton herringbone-fabric cannondale long-sleeve jersey when I could. the first one is sprouting holes now, and is my favorite cycling clothing in yellow-orange. Try wiping your glasses with miracle fabric, lol.

My Patagonia tights finally wore thru this month, bummer.
Those lasted many years, and I recall buying them used at a cycle-swap.
It's always hard to get a perfect length and cut with tights, so I have several pairs tossed in the drawer from years past to fall back on.

I bought Pearl Izumi padded knickers for this past CX season, and those are filling in when it's not too cold. The un-padded Patagonias I wore over cycle shorts or even over padded tights for sub-40-degree riding.

I did 80 miles and 3500 feet elevation in the knickers on Monday, and was only a little sore after. I avg'd 18.2 mph on the day as I just happened to be feeling good after riding 20 miles to the ride start.
My longest ride to date on the Steyr-Puch, after finally getting the cotter-crank bb rebuilt with grade-25 ball bearings. I made a cotter press from an $8 MC chain breaker, hopefully shown below.
Yesterday it rained, and today it is cold again, high in the mid-40's.

Reply to topic    

daddy-o

2/20/13 4:53 PM

The photo showed up just fine, without having to login. Thank you.

If folk would use BBS type square brackets [ and ] like the formatting buttons the forum provides, in place of real markup language LT/GT brackets < and >, their links, pictures and formatting would show up without having to login.

Yes, plopping a change in the middle of a post using the buttons is impossible, but they can be manually inserted anywhere . As an afterthought I added this paragraph with BB italics tags, after the fwiw paragraph..

FWIW, I'm in the habit of not automatically logging in for a couple of reasons, first I will eventually forget my password, second is it's a security issue in some circles.

Rant over. ;-)

Nick Payne

2/20/13 7:57 PM

quote:
The upsizing of clothing in general means that I now look first for XS instead of S

A cycling jersey that I bought in Europe a few years ago has a size label with three different sizes printed on it:

For Japan it's an L
For Europe it's an M
For the US it's an S

At 5'11" and about 145lbs, I always have problems finding winter tights or long sleeve jerseys that fit me. If they're long enough in the leg or arm then they're usually far too big elsewhere, and if they're a good fit around the arse or chest then they're usually far too short elsewhere.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

2/20/13 8:42 PM

Fit, don't make laugh.

I have 32 inch waist, 5'11" 168lb. I should wear medium shorts based on my waist size. No way! Large in high end stuff and sometimes extra large in the cheaper shorts. Otherwise they won't fit my legs.

I wear medium jerseys if they are long enough in US sizing and size 5 euro.

I can't stand the fat boy cut most jerseys have these days.

dan emery

2/21/13 5:13 AM

Noting April's fashionable 1984 coat, I wore a suit yesterday I bought in 1984.
Had good results from the day's activities, so it is it is still effective (a suit to me is a work uniform). Wool, it breathes, and insulates even when wet (sweat). But the main thing is,it still fits!

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

2/21/13 6:47 AM

I have a pair of French Shriners

from 1981. Resoled, reheeled, still good. Not that they're the kind of shoes I wear every day, by any means.

Back in 1980 or thereabouts, I recall Ralph Nader remarking that he was still wearing the shoes he'd been issued many years ago in the Army.

We tend to forget that many things are durable, if we take care of them.

Sparky

2/21/13 11:33 AM

FYI, Probikekit.com has some champions jerseys on sale for pretty cheap...

JohnC

2/21/13 1:23 PM

quote:
Jersey sizing has disimproved over the years. Nowadays, jerseys are sized for the "fuller figure", which means annoying flapping in the wind. Whatever happened to jerseys that you had to put on carefully?

This is a reason to own a sewing machine and know how to use it, or to know a good tailor. None of my jerseys flap.

What happened to those jerseys is that Americans got even fatter.

dddd

2/21/13 1:57 PM

"What happened to those jerseys is that Americans got even fatter."

That trend still seeming to show no signs of reversing, but I think that also the LA years may have tempted a lot more non-athletes to give the bike-kit clothing a go and on a racier bike as well.

It makes for a "walking sausage" look if the clothing isn't appropriately outsized. I am liking the contemporary, looser-fit feel in general, but if it gets near the point of flapping then it also obstructs sight lines from within the peloton, an obvious safety hindrance.
At least now my road garb feels more like my more-casual mtb gear, even if I do a lot of my solo riding in comfortable pleated casual slacks and a loose-fit cotton Jersey with possibly a flannel shirt thrown over for warmth if it's cold. The real jersey is just for the pockets when I'm mixing erranding with brief (5-20mi) training efforts to, on and from the local steeps by myself.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

2/21/13 2:13 PM

"The real jersey is just for the pockets when I'm mixing erranding with brief (5-20mi) training efforts to, on and from the local steeps by myself."

Can't speak for others, but I need the wicking and the pockets myself...

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -