HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Utah ski TTF meet-up

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
KerryIrons

1/12/13 7:43 PM

Utah ski TTF meet-up

My annual ski trip to Utah is in place for January 30 through February 5. I'll be at Alta the afternoon of the 30th and February 3 & 4. Brighton the morning of Feb. 5. Saturday might be Solitude, Powder Mountain, or Snow Basin. Thursday might be Brighton or Solitude (depending on what I do on Saturday). If anyone is in the area in that time slot and wants to hook up for a day of skiing, let me know.

irons54vortex (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/12/13 11:08 PM

This might work. I arrive on the 29th and leave on the 2d. But my wife and daughter will be with me and they may have plans for me. . . .

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/13/13 7:51 PM

When and where?

Parkin, let me know if this can transpire. I am pretty flexible until the 2nd. We can make up for missed opportunities.

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/13/13 9:18 PM

I'll be based at the Canyons. Schedule not nailed down yet.

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/14/13 7:19 PM

Nailing it

quote:
I'll be based at the Canyons. Schedule not nailed down yet.

If you're interested and you get a schedule firmed up, let me know. I haven't skied the Canyons since it was Park West!

Reply to topic    

April

1/14/13 8:19 PM

quote:
I haven't skied the Canyons since it was Park West!

It's a whole many times bigger than its Park West days!

I'm not going west this year. Otherwise, I often go at that time frame and usually ski The Canyons, since that's where my buddy has a pass for.

Unless you want to ski something gnarly, in which case you can head up 9990, otherwise keep going left on the map till you reach at least the 'Dream' land (Dream Catcher and Dearmscape). You'll find quiet easy slopes in the 'dream' land. There's now one more peak even further left of that! Most people never go far enough left. The time you spend getting over there will be compensated by no lines and powder untouched 3 days past storm

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

LeeW

1/16/13 8:21 AM

wish I could make it

I hooked up with Kerry at Alta few years back and had a good challenge in trying to keep up with him. I recall that Parkin was supposed to meet us then, but ended up cooking up some injury to avoid hanging with us ;-)

I'll be at Steamboat that week with a large ski club group; would rather be sliding at one of the "canyons" in UT as Steamboat isn't my favorite area.

Have a good vacation!

Lee

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/16/13 10:22 AM

Do I dare say it? "Break a Leg", Y'all

Wheels

1/16/13 1:37 PM

Can't stand "The Canyons"

Park West was cool. A no frills, inexpensive, good skiing, some challenge, some groomies, nice hill. The Canyons is just someone/corporation with a ton of money over developing an area where skiing now is overpriced and mediocre/lame at best. I mean $105/day to ski? It's $75 at Alta and $82 at S'Basin, both light-years better than The Canyons.

In a large section of the left side (looking up the hill), you're basically skiing on a meandering series of cat tracks between summer homes under "bridges". The pitch is just enough keep moving, but not enough to require speed checks(turns). I don't know if they were going for the "European" feel or what. There are several "Intermediate runs" on the upper left that are almost 100% just a meader from the top to the bottom with lazy S criss-cross of "streets".

Iron Mountain Express runs are essentially 100% exposed and basically oscillate between hard "ice" (no sun) to slush (sun) depending on the time of year and time of day.

Even if tickets were $50, I still wouldn't ski there.

Reply to topic    

April

1/16/13 3:00 PM

quote:
Even if tickets were $50, I still wouldn't ski there.

I will happily ski it for $50! Though I admit I don't feel like paying more than that (and haven't).

You're exaggerating quite a bit with the no speed check comment. I don't know what you mean by cat tracks or bridges. That's further down the mountain. Up mountain (1 lift beyond 9990), there're a lot of powder in the trees in that part of the mountain. The thing is, there's no crowd there. Most people don't bother with the multi-lift travel so days after a dump, the powders are still virtually untouched.

Granted, if you're not into powder nor trees, the groomers are nothing to write home about.

Wheels

1/16/13 3:34 PM

Everything west of Peak 5 lift (All of the Old ParkWest)

properties and some of the expansion is good/great skiing. Dream Catcher, Daybreak, Iron Moutnain Express, Dreascape, etc. serve mostly "Cat tracks through Neighborhoods". Look at the area between Dreamscape, Daybreak, the bottom Peak 5 and the Tombstone lifts. It's essentially "Ski Roads" for the expensive Slope side home, yet the call them "runs". It would be cool if there were a few of them, but the nearly the whole east side (near 100% of the expansion area) is like that. Nothing like skiing "In the neighborhood" to get away from the neighborhood.

http://www.canyonsresort.com/trail_maps.html

Went to ParkWest 1-2 times and loved it. Was excited to see the "expansion" on my third trip back, but as soon as I left the old ParkWest property area was severely disappointed.

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/16/13 4:52 PM

Oh, there's some pretty nice runs over on skier's right. I like the meadows which are blue glades. There are some nice blacks in that area, too, if you like to pick up some speed or test yourself on bumps.

It is so easy to get lost though and find yourself back at a lift that you were trying to get away from. And to get back to the base, you do have to take some of those long, winding trails through the real estate developments. The older part of the mountain is oddly laid out too.

Not my favorite mountain in the area. but not bad.

Reply to topic    

April

1/16/13 5:24 PM

Wheels

I don't think you have actually "skied" the 'dream land' then. You may have just cruise through it without actually ski those areas if you think it's just houses, because the areas are ABOVE the housing developement. Until you're ready to head back to the main base as Parkin said, that is. That's when you finally go THROUGH the developments.

The "dream" area are mostly mild black groomers and blue glades. It IS very easy to get lost, either back to the lift you're trying to get out of, or miss one ridge entirely and gone to a neighboring peak instead!

Also a pain trying to meet up with sub-group taking a easier/more difficult trail. Inevitably, one of the splinter group took a wrong turn and end up somewhere else that would take 1/2 hr to get back! I did that more than once. And I've actually skied there probably more than 10 times by now!

KerryIrons

1/25/13 7:48 PM

Parkin?

Just bumping this up for Parkin. As I said before I'll be arriving on the 30th and skiing that afternoon (probably Alta). Tied up for sure after Saturday Feb 2 and probably want to ski Solitude, Snowbasin, or Powder Mountain that day to avoid crowds.

Contact me via e-mail: irons54vortex (at) sbcglobal (dot) net if you can see a way for us to hook up.

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/27/13 10:35 PM

How about Thursday at Park City?

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

1/29/13 7:04 PM

Parkin?

quote:
How about Thursday at Park City?

Sounds good. I replied to your e-mail on Monday but never heard back. If you're seeing this, you can call me at my hotel tomorrow (Wednesday) evening 801-255-4919. I should be there after about 6:00 PM. We need to sort out the details of a meet-up time and place (check your e-mail).

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/30/13 9:49 AM

Sent you an email.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -