HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

gloves

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RCoapman

1/27/13 6:06 PM

gloves

not much detail here...just looking for a recommendations for a good set of gloves that will stay watertight during longer rides in the rain. Did 1:45 today and my gloves, normally more than adequate in the cold PDX rain for rides <1hr, were completely soaked through by the end of the ride and my hands were getting pretty chilly.

Reply to topic    

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/27/13 6:26 PM

Just get wool over gloves. Even wet your hands will be okay.

I use an old issue pair when it is really cold.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

1/28/13 6:30 AM

For those conditions...

...your best bet may be neoprene paddling gloves. Your hands are going to get damp either from rain or perspiration, so I don't think that trying to keep them dry is worthwhile. If you want to try, try Gore-Tex lined gloves with long enough gauntlets to fit under your jacket sleeves.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/28/13 7:55 AM

Impossible

I've concluded that if you are out in the rain long enough, your gloves will get soaked . I've used both Gore-Tex and neoprene gloves and eventually they either soak through or the water running down your sleeves gets inside. The best you can hope for is to stay warm but not dry.

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

1/28/13 5:26 PM

Which why I suggested just getting cheap wool ones.

Brian Nystrom

1/29/13 5:44 AM

Which is why I suggested neoprene

They're designed to keep your hands warm when they're wet.

Reply to topic    

Dave B

1/29/13 8:29 AM

They Try

quote:
They're designed to keep your hands warm when they're wet.

Yeah and they make a decent attempt at it but, if you are out in the rain in the upper 30's, your hands will be cold even in neoprene gloves. At least mine are.

April

1/29/13 8:33 AM

x-c ski gloves?

They are typically wind proof and water proof, yet still breath. Unlike downhill ski gloves, xc ski gloves are typically pretty thin. So working the brakes/shifter should be no problem.

Only thing I don't know is if they're warm enough for you. When x-c skiing, the hands got a lot of workout so the gloves doesn't need to be very warm. With biking, it may or may not be warm enough. On the other hand, it kept my hand warm down to 20 degree so that's a lot colder than the typically rainy riding temperature you encounter...

Paddling gloves:

For fall paddling, I actually use non-neoprene paddle gloves. I don't much like neoprene. BEFORE it get completely soaked, it actually feels quite cold. But for the same reason as x-c glove may or may not work for you, is paddling also works a lot with the hands, which cycling doesn't. So there's no enough heat to warm the water in the gloves.

Last edited by April on 1/29/13 8:40 AM; edited 2 times in total

daddy-o

1/29/13 8:35 AM

One might also say wool is designed to keep sheep warm when they're wet.

To me "design" is a term that can be used equally by man, creationists or evolutionists. I used it to avoid an argument, not to start one.

Brian Nystrom

1/29/13 11:47 AM

I didn't mean to imply...

...that neoprene was panacea, but merely an option.

If you're really trying to keep your hands dry, your best bet is Gore-Tex gloves or "lobster mitts" with the gauntlets worn under the jacket sleeves to prevent water running into the gloves. Most that I've seen have removable liners, which allows you to tailor them to your needs on any given ride. I've found that I don't need a lot of insulation on my hands when riding, as long as they're protected from wind and water.

An alternative would be paddler's "dry gloves" with latex wrist seals. They will keep rain water out, but you'll sweat in them (they don't breathe), so you may have to change the liners on longer rides. They're pretty expensive and somewhat bulky, but are nice and grippy in wet conditions.

Reply to topic    

Wheels

1/29/13 1:12 PM

Seal Skinz

http://www.rei.com/product/828666/sealskinz-waterproof-gloves,-black,-small?preferredSku=8286660001&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8286660001&mr:referralID=273e1ee1-6a47-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

May not be the 100% solution, but they do work well.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/29/13 4:04 PM

Sealskins +1

I think some years ago Sandy also recommended

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/29/13 10:22 PM

The cheap ski gloves I buy every couple of years for motorcycle riding seem to do a good job in severe conditions on the bike. The synthetic stuffing doesn't readily take on water, but I can't remember staying out in the rain for a very long time.

I would advise that any glove be loose-fitting if staying warm is paramount, both for the air layer's insulation and for guaranteeing that circulation isn't impaired from any compression force.

A loose-fitting neoprene glove almost has to stay warm imo.

I started today's ride at 38F wearing large, full-finger mountainbike gloves with a modest degree of armoring, and my fingers got cold but had fully warmed about 40 min into the ride, which was very hi-intensity. Four other riders showed.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -