Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

For you NYC area folks

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/27/13 8:50 AM

For you NYC area folks

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/nyregion/commuting-40-miles-to-work-on-a-bike-with-thermals-and-fleece.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/27/13 10:55 AM

Cool

Well that's tougher than my 2.5 mile commute. My niece's husband works at JP Morgan, but his commute is about a 5 minute walk.[/quote]

Reply to topic    

April

1/27/13 12:34 PM

I worked in the city office this past Thursday and was absolutely shocked at the number of bike commuter on the street during morning commute hours. Mind you, the temperature on Thursday morning was only in the teens and low 20's! I started counting when I was half way on my walk to the office (15 minute walk) and I counted 6 riders! I felt a bit ashmed that I briefly contemplated taking the subway instead of walking due to the cold...

I think the increased popularity of cycling is helped by hi-tech winter gears. The low price headlight doesn't hurt either (for the evening commute).

I was also surprised to see the activity on the message board of our club (Westchester) even during the winter. I'm beginning to feel like a whimp when I put my bike away around Thansgiving time. :-(

[P.S.]
I just realized the article was written by one of my clubmate whom I've riden with. No wonder Westchester features so prominently in it.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

henoch

1/27/13 7:29 PM

One word.
Fenders

Reply to topic    

bikerjohnpostal

1/27/13 8:22 PM

Hi-Tech Winter Gear helps

But I'd say for the outer layers only. Nothing against the skin, at least for me you can't beat wool for warmth and perspiration. Especially for commuting because it doesn't stink like any man made stuff.

Reply to topic    

April

1/27/13 9:00 PM

quote:
But I'd say for the outer layers only.

But that's the most important layer! Windproof, water resistant and breathable outer wear is key!

Without trapping sweat moister that saps warmth, it makes it so easy to keeping the core warm.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -