HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Peroneal Tendon Injury

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dan emery

1/22/13 9:01 AM

Peroneal Tendon Injury

I'm pretty sure I have one of these and wonder if anyone has experience with them, and particularly vis a vis cycling. This is a tendon running from the outside of the foot, behind the ankle and up the leg. I have a long history of sprained ankles, which I expect contributed.

Friday night I was JWA (just walking along) and felt a pop on the outside of my foot, followed by pretty acute pain (no Parkin, I didn't trip in an inebriated stupor). I was able to hobble along and complete my activities, then first thing in the am it was awful and I couldn't put weight on it. With ice, an ace bandage and advil, it improved a bit and I could get around. Now I can walk fine, but still have some residual mild pain/stiffness that migrates around the outer foot/ankle/lower leg area. It is like some achilles tendon issues I have had but in a different location.

I don't feel like I need to see a doc unless it worsens, but I don't want to aggravate it before it heals. So I plan to avoid XC skiing/snowshoing for awhile (damn), use RICE, and walk a fair amount. I'll probably do some light spinning on my sta bike, see how it feels, and evaluate cycling from there.

Anyone have experience with this injury, particularly how it interacts with cycling? Any thoughts on dealing with it? TIA.

Reply to topic    

dfcas

1/22/13 7:17 PM

Sorry Dan, I have no experience but the ex/next wife works in an ortho unit, so I'll see if she can get any info from one of the docs. I think you are in exotic territory here.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

1/22/13 8:16 PM

Robert asked me to comment for you. It sounds like you ruptured either the peroneous longus or peroneous brevus tendon. They both run together around the back side of the lateral malleolus (ankle bone). Its more common to rupture the peroneous brevis. If it causes you alot of pain you can have it repaired (much like an achilles) but if it doesn't then continue with the anti-inflamatories until the pain stops.

Elaine type all that for ya at my request.

All I can add is "the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone, or is it the foot bone?

Last edited by Sparky on 1/23/13 2:56 PM; edited 1 time in total

dddd

1/23/13 12:58 PM

My ex-boss popped a tendon playing hand-ball I think, and told me he actually went a few days before seeing a doc. I could hardly believe it, but so it was, so I think this is a real possibility that should be considered.

Of all the medical care I've received, the most impressive diagnostics record seems to be in the area of muscular/tendon issues.
Other issues not so well diagnosed imo.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/23/13 6:22 PM

Thanks all

I guess it will be day by day for awhile. Little pain and I walk fine, but today the leg just felt a little sluggish, like all the muscles were't firing. I tried a little light spinning, but as soon as I engaged the ankle much, I could feel the tendon tighten so I stopped and went to ice and elevation. The old quandary of trying to stay active while not making things worse.

At least I can say that this is not because I am old - that's because I screwed up tendons when I was young!

Ay thoughts appreciated.

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/23/13 6:54 PM

Dan, Dan, Dan....

Hey teammate...We have a title to defend !

Did you get this in Zumba class down in Kennebunk?:)

Man I hope it is a pull not a tear!!!!!!

get it looked at to confirm......

Best wishes

Reply to topic    

PLee

1/24/13 7:21 AM

Rick and Dan - Obviously trying to qualify for the Special Olympics . . . ;-)

Reply to topic    

rickhardy
Location: Needham outside of Boston - the hub of the universe

1/24/13 11:27 AM

Actually

Should be the paralympics

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/24/13 8:41 PM

we already qualify

Rick and I are definitely Special...

Spun pretty quickly (low resistance) for about 40 minutes today, felt good. This seems manageable, similar to achilles tendon, plantar fasciitis and about 20 ankle sprains I've had. Just have to avoid being stupid (not easy for me).

Tomorrow I can ride and ice it at the same time, if I commute in at the forecast -6F!

Reply to topic    

dddd

1/24/13 9:42 PM

"This seems manageable"

Somehow I just couldn't resist following that up with "Famous Last Words",
but it's probably just fine if you are sufficiently attentive to monitoring a certain rate of progress.
I'm sometimes too forgetful of the correct healing rate, but I'm seemingly still young enough to (usually) get away with it.
The icing sounds great.
All the best.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/27/13 11:41 AM

gimping along

This is coming along pretty well. I took a short walk in the woods today (crusty snow, roots, etc.) and quickly realized the ankle has 0 lateral stability. I didn't roll it, but had to be pretty careful on the uneven ground. May be no XC skiing or snowshoeing for the duration.

Then, being sick of riding indoors, I went out for about a 45 minute spin. That was fine, I could ride pretty normally without aggravating anything. I felt a very slight tightening a couple times on hills, so there is a limit and I wouldn't want to stomp up hills or accelerate suddenly at this point, but overall the riding was better than I expected.

So I think it will be fine for riding but I have to avoid turning it while walking.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/13 12:58 PM

Glad you are not talking about going under the knife.

FWIW, my trip back to work has my Femoral Nerve condition worse than ever. Trying to work through it was a suggestion the Doc made I am not happy with considering 9 weeks out I am worse than ever.

Better get better before the weather swaps, my crawl space inspection daze is over I believe...

Apparently this Meralgia paresthetica is most common with police. Cars time and big belts with a ton of crap which needs to be worn at all times while working...

daddy-o

1/27/13 7:31 PM

Thanks for the updates guys.

Knowledge is power, slow and steady, push it don't break it. stick to it. You know, easy to say, hard to do.

dddd

1/27/13 8:52 PM

"Apparently this Meralgia paresthetica is most common with police. Cars time and big belts with a ton of crap which needs to be worn at all times while working..."

I can't believe that something like this doesn't happen to my feet, oweing to cycling shoes on my wide feet.

Is their anything like extended sitting time that could be causing this? Driving?

Maybe experimenting with activity changes, or even dietary changes, might shine light on some cause/effect linkage.
Might have to keep a diary or pay very close attention, but a lot of conditions defy the usual medical answers due to personal differences presumeably.
We are in effect each our own "first doctor", followed by CyclingForum, then our health providers, and lastly the pharmacy I guess.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

1/27/13 9:24 PM

Good formulation Daddy

I'll rephrase slightly to Bonnie's "Shake it don't break it" and go with that.

Sparky that sucks. Don't have experience with Meralgia Parasthetica but a quick google indicates umm, losing weight and wearing looser clothing. So at minimum lose the skinny jeans...Seriously, I hope it comes along quickly.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

1/27/13 9:59 PM

Doing all the loose clothes, no belt, etc. Easy sorta because my weight is falling and doing well. I am 20 lbs lighter than last year at this time with none of this crap.

Sitting seems to really be the main thing that gets me hurting, then it is too late when you notice as the nerve is past irritated I'd say.

The seat belt in the little GEO caused the initial injury, and apparently due to the non vascular nature of your nerves/roots/trunks, etc., long healing times are typical. Doc said 1mm per month. So until someone decides it is time to pay for the MRI, who knows how many mm, or God forbid, an inch even got fucked up.

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -