HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Cable Deals at Bikes Direct

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Brian Nystrom

12/19/12 5:47 AM

Cable Deals at Bikes Direct

For those of you who like Gore cables, BD has the Professional shift cables for $36.95/set in white or black. In my experience, these are the smoothest shifting of the Gore cables.

They've also got deals on wheels and their usual bike sales.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/19/12 8:44 AM

On that note: I have been getting the upper end Shimano set @ Bluesky {http://www.blueskycycling.com} when on sale for $11.98 which 50% off MSRP for either a brake set or shifter set complete. So 26.00 to do a bike at the sale price which is offered often. I like the stainless cables and Shimano's cable housing liner system. Performance and durability wise, and now even Shimano is doing the tuti-fruity colors, although I stick with the dark silver grey ones....

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Andy M-S

12/19/12 9:22 AM

Colors

Cables should be black or gray/silver. Or, in rare cases, white. But hey, I'm about as old & fogy as they get...

Brian Nystrom

12/19/12 10:42 PM

The difference between Gore and Shimano...

...is that the Shimano cables aren't sealed. I understand that they're super smooth out of the package, but unsealed cable systems don't stay that way. The Gore cables are a sealed system that provides long-lasting performance.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/19/12 11:34 PM

I got 10 years out of DA 9s cables/housings on my Strong. But I am good about cleaning and lubing. I only replaced them with same new when I did the 10s upgrade. Only thing I had to do was cut back the shifter cable due to shrinking casing and put new plastic ends on once I cut the 3-4mm off the casing wire that didn't shrink. That bike saw plenty of rain riding and even a few seasons early enough to get the NJ salt all over everything. As I said, cleaned and lubed a lot...

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

12/20/12 6:35 PM

Where? Looked.

Sparky

12/20/12 7:22 PM

If you meant my post:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/search.php?search_key=cables

down lower on that search page

dddd

12/21/12 11:13 PM

"...Shimano cables aren't sealed..."

Shimano seems to have been the one to introduce sealed derailer cable housing end caps to the market around 1989.

I've used these in plastic and metal versions.
I am much surprised to find some off-road bikes sold without them, since the result is a very unreliable bike.
Shimano's lower level gruppos and cabling replacements do not employ sealed ferrules, but their higher gruppos always do.
And Shimano's replacement cable and housing are offered at different quality levels as well.

The Shimano sealed end caps (ferrules) are like other Shimano bits, very thoroughly engineered. Some others I've seen use simple round O-rings in them, which don't let the cables move as freely and don't seal as well.
It's negligent for a shop to not let the customer know they have a choice in the matter, at extra cost of course, but they must know that the customer usually will come back sooner when sealed caps aren't used.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/23/12 9:28 PM

Shimano cables are not truly sealed

Every time the cable moves in the housing, it will drag whatever moisture and debris is present on the cable into it. The Shimano seals will remove most of it, but not all. Gore's sealed systems enclose the cable from end-to-end, completely preventing moisture and debris from getting on the cable in the first place.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/23/12 9:44 PM

"completely preventing moisture"

except there is this phenomenon called condensation which may buck the completely claim, just saying. ;)

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -