Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Chain choices

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

12/19/12 7:08 PM

Chain choices

So I have replaced a chain. Once and for all folks. Stick with Shimano and be done with it. They run quieter, shift smoother and seem to last longer.

Replaced my top shelf SRAM 10sp chain with a DA 10spd with the directional plates. Much better.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Sparky

12/19/12 7:27 PM

"with a DA 10spd with the directional plates"

the 7901 is the best chain I have ever used in terms of shifting smoothness, noticeably.

Rickk

12/19/12 7:50 PM

Even for Campy drivetrains??

re. "Once and for all folks. Stick with Shimano and be done with it. They run quieter, shift smoother and seem to last longer."

Reply to topic    

ErikS

12/19/12 8:46 PM

Don't know about that but if it fits. Maybe so.

walter

12/19/12 9:13 PM

price?

does shimano have a quick-link like sram/wippermann/etc?

Sparky

12/19/12 9:50 PM

Comes with pins. But I have been using KMC and SRAM links with 9s speed Shimano chains forever. Not tried with a 10 speed Shimano chain yet. But see no reason why not to do that.

Nick Payne

12/19/12 10:22 PM

The German cycling magazine Tour tested chains last year. They found Shimano chains to be the most durable. You can read the test report (in English) here: http://www.tour-qtr.com/epaper_4_2011

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/19/12 11:43 PM

I have done well in the durability dept with the top of the line KMCs also. But I like the like shifting with both the DA9 and especially the 7901 10s DA chain. I guess the asymmetrical bevel on the side plate does the trick. I think the latest 6701 uses these as well.

ErikS

12/20/12 5:31 AM

No link but the 10spd link is a one time only piece so being able to take it off is no longer an advantage.

The Shimano pin works just fine and has for years. When I had 9spd I used the SRAM link all the time on Shimano chains.

I believe the SRAM 10spd chain is narrower than the Shimano chain by just a tiny amount so the link won't fit. Not that I would trust the recycled link.

Dave B

12/20/12 8:47 AM

I've had very good results with Wippermann 10-speed chains on 10-speed Campy drive trains and their "Connex" quick link is one of the best. These chains are quiet, durable and shift well.

The problem with the newer Shimano directional chains (5700, 67700, 7900) is Shimano says they are only for double cranks and I use triples so I've stuck with the older 6600 chain. I'm not at all sure why the limitation and a call to Shimano's US headquarters got no useful info as the techie I talked to couldn't explain it either. I have read of others successfully using them on triples so it doesn't seem to be a fatal flaw.

As to Shimano's being limited to pins, I don't consider that a weakness as I never remove my chain for cleaning. Also, both KMC and Wippermann quick links work well with Shimano chains if you want to go that route.

Anthony Smith

12/20/12 9:02 AM

kmc

We have been using the KMCs we got from Token for the past 3 seasons 10,11,12 and will continue using them on both the road (10s with MicroShift shifting) and on the track 1/2x1/8. No issues or problems and the road ones seem to last about 5k miles without significant wear to either the cassettes or rings (important because we are constantly changing and exchanging wheels on the team. When they come off the road bikes, we put them to mtb use with 9 speed shifting and they seem to last indefinately. Highly recomended

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/20/12 10:19 AM

"No link but the 10spd link is a one time only piece so being able to take it off is no longer an advantage. "

I have countless times removed and reinstalled all chains by not pushing the pin all the way through the second plate. The just pressing the pin back through only the one side when re-installing. Supposedly not some thing you are supposed to do, but I have two Shimano chains sitting with that one pin ready to get pushed back through.

Brian Nystrom

12/21/12 6:30 AM

That was standard practice back in the day...

...when chain pins didn't have peened heads. The problem with that approach now is that pushing a pin out enlarges the hole in the side plate and pushing it back in enlarges it even further. The result is literally the proverbial "weak link in the chain" which is likely to fail under high stress.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

12/21/12 6:32 AM

+1 for KMC

I've been using them for a while now and I'm very happy with their shifting performance and durability. They're also available at attractive prices on Ebay.

Reply to topic    

BdaGhisallo

12/21/12 12:26 PM

The Connex 10sp link works very well with the Shimano 10sp chains, be they 7801 or 7901. I have been using them for the better part of ten years and they have worked flawlessly and allowed me to get the chain off and on very easily.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

12/21/12 12:50 PM

I have some 10s SRAM links, anyone have an opinion about using with a 10s shimano chain?

Dave B

12/21/12 2:31 PM

I'm pretty sure I read SRAM's inner links are very slightly narrower than Shimano's so SRAM 10-speed master links are to tight to work properly on a 10-speed Shimano chain. Wippermann and KMC links do work with Shimano chains.

Sparky

12/21/12 4:46 PM

good, thanks for that on the links...

dfcas

12/21/12 5:47 PM

Does anybody know if the new Shimano 11 speed chain will work on the Campy 11? I'm planning on getting a Campy 11 group for my Calfee after its painted.

dddd

12/21/12 11:03 PM

I went out on an emergency repair mission recently, to help a fellow rider who was stranded with a broken chain.

I grabbed a chain tool and a SRAM 10sp link and headed out on my bike.

His Shimano 105 10sp chain was broken (he's broken 3 of them now) so I repaired it with the SRAM link. The fit was noticeably tight, such that I had to flex and work the stiff link for a minute to make it rideable. It wasn't quite right but he rode home ok, about 20 miles.
So, in conclusion, the SRAM 10sp links are ok with Shimano 10sp chains for true emergencies.

I've used SRAM 9sp links many, many times to connect Shimano 9sp chains with no such issues.
SRAM's 8sp links will NOT work on HG 8sp chain, but will fit IG chain.

Shimano's chains tend to be a smidgen narrower than comparably-geared Campagnolo chain.
This makes shifting more forgiving of aged, dirty cables imo, i.e. you can more easily achieve a satisfactory adjustment with the poor cabling.
The narrower chain is also more forgiving of sloppy downshifting (i.e., to a larger cog).

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -