Steve B.

3/26/13 5:48 AM

Then there's this instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/iDnEkFSMRik?rel=0&vq=medium&autoplay=1

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

3/28/13 4:32 AM

I really need to work on the 'gansta' thing

"Your chain squeaks, fool!" and "Your mutha' rides a Huffy!" just don't cut it as insults.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

3/28/13 6:14 AM

cycling insults

How about "Hey Fred, that boat anchor you ride weighs 22 pounds!" or "Those rims add unnecesary rotational mass!" or "You pedal squares, you square!"

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

3/28/13 6:48 AM

When I ride with a saddlebag or handlebar bag, I get "Hey! What did you bring for lunch?"*

*Pronunciation and accentuation will depend on the region of the country in which the ride takes place.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

3/28/13 7:31 AM

I've got that

I've ridden a couple centuries on my rando bike with handlebar bag and, yes, some of the racer wannabees think that's quite amusing. "What do you have in there, a six pack?" They're lucky I'm not Erik. :)

Reply to topic    

Sparky

3/28/13 8:23 AM

"What do you have in there, a six pack?"

Say, "I wish, it is a portable defibrillator. Any other smart ass remarks and I will pass by your ass when and if..."

Last edited by Sparky on 3/29/13 7:18 PM; edited 1 time in total

ErikS
Location: Slowing boiling over in the steamy south, Global Warming is real

3/29/13 6:26 PM

I would just take the beer when not being watched. The defib idea, well I hope I never need it.

Andy M-S

3/29/13 7:39 PM

Funny thing--

I usually do have lunch in there. As the saying has it, "where we're going, we don't need roads. "

dddd

4/2/13 8:09 AM

Our group was having post-ride coffee a while back, with an ex-pro from the 90's present, he describing his first bike with some kind large-ish bag on it, which he was saying (well, trying to say, he was laughing so hard) he could put his lunch in.
Coming from him, the laughter was returned by all present.

Reply to topic    

dan emery

4/2/13 8:18 AM

You wanna handlebar bag?

I'd love one of these (but no, I'm not going to buy one):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pereiracycles/sets/72157622502403098/

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/2/13 9:11 AM

Bags

Mine's a good bit smaller than that one :-).

dan emery

4/2/13 9:45 AM

mine too

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1ActGblq5bsWEe

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/2/13 11:21 AM

Mine's similar

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=881ADAE90B6AE7E3!2893&authkey=!AO5kgqNqKzOT3WQ

Mitch, for what it's worth, was an employee of the Devil's Gear who was shot to death in a robbery a few years back. I took the photo the evening of a ride (essentially a critical mass) in his honor.

Nick Payne

4/2/13 3:16 PM

I like saddlebags, and for randonnees where I just want to carry a raincoat and a bit of food and puncture kit, I haven't found anything to improve on the Berthoud models. This one even copes with a weekend tour away where we're staying overnight in a hotel/motel:

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/3/13 7:50 AM

Hmmm

I like saddlebags, but there's too much hardware for me in that one. The nice thing about a handlebar bag (and there's hardware there too, of course) for me is the ability to keep food and insulin supplies handy (since I have Type 1 diabetes), and to keep a map available. No need to dismount to get at any of that.

On the other hand, I do like saddlebags, but I've found over the years that most are too large for what I need. And I also don't like the "traditional" construction, with buckles & c. For the dual purposes of carrying some clothing and extra visibility (it has lots of reflective stuff on it), I currently have a Carradice Super C Audax on order. It's a small bag (Pendle/Barley size) that, in combination with my modified handlebag bag, should give me all the capacity I need for just about anything I'm likely to do.

dan emery

4/3/13 8:26 AM

hmmm +1

I use a handlebar bag, saddle bag and a pannier in various combination, it's all good. My rando bike handles great with the handlebar bag full, of course it's designed for it. That Berthoud saddlebag could be useful for adding more capacity at times to the rando bike, if the saddlebag mount is easy on and off (looks like just two bolts).

Plus I'd have matching Berthoud (style/karma question: can you use Berthoud and Carradice bags on the same bike without consequences?). Come to think of it, on one bike I've got a Camper Longflap attached to a Berthoud saddle, and that works (in fact the saddle frame has slots for the straps), so maybe it's OK in karmic terms anyway.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/3/13 9:04 AM

Saddlebags/Karma

(I am tempted to put in a verse from Spinal Tap's BIG BOTTOM).

I've used a Camper-size saddlebag, but at the time I was also messing with an SQR setup to support it. That may have been part of my dislike.

wrt karma, I think it's likely good karma to have bits from as many sources as possible integrated into your bike. Now, if only there were appropriate shiny bits or bags produced in both N and S Korea.

Dan, my primary bike (built around a VO Rando frame) was also built with a front load in mind, and it handles very well with a loaded bag up there. One thing I've noticed is the bike's low-speed stability, nice on long climbs (and generally good for me, as I'm slow). Does your rando bike also exhibit this kind of behavior, even though you're not slow?

Have to take this to the iBOB list if this keeps up.

dan emery

4/3/13 9:51 AM

I resemble that

Jeez, if I'm not slow, I don't know who is. Ever see a sustained 2.x mph? I have. Anyway, my rando bike is generally stable, but I've noticed nothing special on uphills as I don't think I notice instability there on any of my bikes.

Jan Heine has some comments on handling with a handlebar bag here:

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/unimprovable-gilles-berthoud-handlebar-bag/

No offense to your bag, but he considers the Berthoud "unimprovable" :)

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/3/13 10:00 AM

Jan

I am familiar with Jan. He's a smart guy, and usually correct. However, my bag cost around 20% of what a Berthoud of similar proportions costs, and for me, that is a factor to consider. I also have plastic fenders and a Shimano--rather than Sun--dynohub. Further, I (*gasp*) prefer 700c wheels!

Jan has a great deal more mileage than I do, and (apparently) a hell of a lot more money, so he and I disagree on many things. Which is just fine :-)

Paul Datars

4/3/13 12:33 PM

Holy thread drift guys...you've hit on a topic I have no opinion on so I am speechless. Please, please, no cheering :-)

Andy M-S

4/5/13 4:42 AM

My Audax arrived!

I'm looking at this thing--much more "contemporary" than other saddlebag designs--it uses Fastex buckles and such--and realizing that it's HUGE. And then it hits me that almost everything else in the Carradice line is larger.

That's kind of impressive, really.

dan emery

4/5/13 5:00 AM

Enjoy

I don't know that bag, but I think Carradice stuff is great. At first I thought my stuff was a bit fussy with all the straps, buckles, drawstrings, etc., but using it awhile you realize that everything has a purpose and it all works perfectly. Seem like designs which have evolved over many years of use by real cyclists.

Reply to topic    

Andy M-S

4/5/13 6:38 AM

yep

I'm going to add a spacer to move it off my legs, but I've had a number of Carradim over the years and generally liked them. This is a small model of the SuperC touring bag...same basic design as other bags, but with updated hardware. Right now it has my rain gear & tools in it, right where they oughta be.

Andy M-S

4/5/13 7:12 AM

This 'un

When they're on the bike, Carradice bags sometimes look disproportionately wide, because people seldom load them to their full depth capability...

dan emery

4/5/13 7:19 AM

off the legs

FWIW I use the Bagman support with my Longflap, holds it a bit more upright.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next  
Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -