HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Big Shimano Chainset recall...

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/21/23 11:46 PM

Big Shimano Chainset recall...

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Shimano-Recalls-Cranksets-for-Bicycles-Due-to-Crash-Hazard

Self Inspection VID

https://youtu.be/mKMKsbts3t8?si=s8ORhIG3mNzccFCl

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

KerryIrons

9/22/23 8:58 AM

Not sure if this is the same crank series, but a riding buddy had a Shimano Ultegra crank completely separate. It was 3 years ago IIRC. If so, it took a long time for this recall to happen.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/22/23 9:44 AM

quote:
If so, it took a long time for this recall to happen.

Yep, and Absolutely.

But some prospective on the numbers. The interwebs shows 4,519 of 760,000 units failed to date. How many are still being ridden with cracks is another question.

Similarly regarding Chevy Bolts. Wife's car got compete Battery replacement few weeks ago. Being a 2022 this is actually uncommon. But it failed. In the end [interim?] getting a fresh battery and 8yr/100k mile battery warranty reboot 27 months into ownership is not bad in any way.

Some prospective there. 141,000 units, 16 car fires reported thru 8/2021. Probably a few more after that.
EDIT: 19 thru 7/2023

Again, as with the HTii cranks, you'd think it was 1/2 of them.

I was more concerned with my 6800 HTii having been in service for a long while. But I did put non bonded R7000 Crank on my two most used Shimano bikes. Last year, after seeing some failures I felt compelled.

Just under 40 grams heavier and not bonded, I signed up. And some of that is the 50t Ring on the R7000 VS R8000 Yada.

But I was disappointed one R8000 chainset is also on the list. I have a NIB R8000 crankset not on the list.

But I remember too well when Elaine's 2022 Bolt got added to the GM recall list too...

Nick Payne

9/27/23 4:53 PM

I don't possess any of the recalled cranks - the last Shimano crank I bought was a Dura-Ace 7700 - but if I did, and it hadn't already failed, I wouldn't trust it any longer. All the cranks with production codes listed in Shimano's recall notice are defective because they share the same design characteristics, which can lead to sudden failure. Yet Shimano are following this bizarre course of not replacing those that haven't yet failed. The lawyers will be licking their lips in expectation.

I'd also say that the failure rate is almost certainly considerably higher than the number quoted by Shimano. The more use a crank has had, the more likely it is to fail, and as these models have been in production for about a decade, a lot of the cranks that have failed would have been past their warranty period, and therefore Shimano would not have been contacted regarding warranty replacement, so none of those failures appear in their figures.

The failures are also happening in cranks with production codes not listed in the Shimano recall notice. For example, this 8000 series crank has production code RG, which is not among the codes listed for recall:

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/27/23 7:26 PM

I have a NIB R8000 outside the listed Letters too. That gave me zero hope beyond it being brand new that it was any better.

Now less after seeing that picture.

Nick Payne

9/29/23 3:25 AM

Well, the Shimano crank recall made our national broadcaster's main 7pm TV news bulletin this evening here in Australia. A couple of minutes long, and pretty well done - I'd say they must have a keen cyclist or two in their news area. It was certainly enough to make Shimano squirm - the segment stressed that the components had been on the market for about ten years, and that up to now Shimano had denied that there was any fault.

Reply to topic    

Brian Nystrom

9/29/23 5:25 AM

I have a lightly-used Ultegra 6800 crank that came on my Niner 'cross/gravel bike. I checked it and didn't find any issues, but using it off-road would be a worst-case scenario. Fortunately, I swapped it out to get better gearing shortly after I bought the bike. I would consider using it on the road, but the 46/36 chainrings don't suit my needs. I guess it's destined to become a dust collector unless Shimano decides to replace them all. From what I've read, they're replacing defective cranks with some oddball setup that uses special chainrings that they claim will be available down the line, but with Shimano, who knows?

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -