HOMECLUBS | SPONSORS | FEATURESPHOTO GALLERYTTF DONORS | SHOP FOR GEAR

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
          View posts since last visit

Blast from the past.

Author Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparky

9/3/23 12:04 PM

Blast from the past.

Trying to recall the USPRO race meetups among early TTF members, google popped this up for me. ;)

Forever and Fondly Remembered as the CoreStates Bike Race - R.I.P.

The "Founding Fathers" of the USPRO Championship in Philadelphia were Dave Chauner, Jack Simes and Jerry Casale. In 1985, this group of friends conceived their grand idea of having an authentic U.S. national championship road race. Setting the wheels in motion, they established the CoreStates U.S. Pro Cycling Championship, a 156-mile bicycle race through the streets of Center City, Fairmount Park and the hills of Manayunk. Over time, the CoreStates Bike Race (as many traditionalists still refer to it) changed its name numerous times, and eventually evolved into the Philadelphia International Cycling Championship.

In its inaugural year in 1985, Eric Heiden, former Olympic Gold Medalist in speed skating, won the first CoreStates Bike Race as part of 7-Eleven racing team.

I either forgot, or didn't ever know about Eric Heiden. Before my cycling time I guess as far a race interest..

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

Brian Nystrom

9/3/23 7:19 PM

I have some pics I took of him racing at Fitchburg. Big dude!

Reply to topic    

KerryIrons

9/4/23 9:16 AM

His sister Beth was a bike racer as well. A number of speed skaters were bike racers, both road and track. I still remember Jim Mackay of ABC sports commenting on the Olympics where Shiela Young won three gold medals. He noted that she "rides bikes" to train for speed skating. At the time, she was world champion in the sprint on the track. That was my first lesson that sometimes the people we trust for information really have no idea what they are talking about. This bit of wisdom has been repeatedly confirmed over the years.

Reply to topic    

Sparky

9/4/23 10:23 AM

I'm sure a TTF search will show I've said this before. My memory aside from the race was the Lemon Hill picnic, and being a huge smoke salmon fan, Greg's salmon he brought along. ;) My first Pro cycling race[s].

One year on the way back from Nashville, Elaine dropped me off there and I rode home with Nate.

FWIW, I ate lot's of smoked salmon in Scotland too.

Reply to topic     Send e-mail

dan emery

9/4/23 11:36 AM

Beth Heiden was also a world champion cyclist (Road, 1980).

Reply to topic    

PLee

9/5/23 7:10 AM

Those Lemon Hill picnics were fun. And the pre-race rides of the course. The Manayunk Wall is no joke.

Reply to topic    

Return to CyclingForum Home Page CYCLING TECH TALK FORUM
           View New Threads Since My Last Visit VIEW THREADS SINCE MY LAST VISIT
           Start a New Thread

Last Thread | Next Thread  >  

If you enjoy this site, please consider pledging your support

cyclingforum.com - where cyclists talk tech
Cycling TTF Rides Throughout The World

Cyclingforum is powered by SYNCRONICITY.NET in Denver, Colorado -